General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Broken Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016 | 11:05 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

http://www.mutazu.com/

This a viable option. I have a buddy who has one and you really can't tell the difference.

Old 03-06-2016 | 07:17 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

That is amazing and how fortunate you weren't two up. Never have I seen such damage from a bump.

Old 03-08-2016 | 11:52 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

with that kind of damage i would be looking at used ones or something from Mutazu.

Old 03-13-2016 | 11:21 AM
Backdraft161
Tourer

Instead of trying to repair it I would find a good replacement. Like you said you could have had things go bad real quick with a passenger. Be safe...don't be sorry.

Old 03-13-2016 | 03:13 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master

Looks like a king or is it chopped ?

Old 03-13-2016 | 07:05 PM
arthurn
|
6th Gear

It is a king tour pak. Not going to repair. Will likely get a new one. Will then fabricate a metal plate to sit underneath. The plate will go to the edge. Will likely color match or accent so it blends end. This should move the stress points to the vertical sides and not on the horizontal plane.

Old 03-13-2016 | 07:12 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member

There must have been some cracks for a while, and then when you hit that manhole cover, finally fractured and fell off. Maybe temperature also added to the fracturing? These don't just crack and fall off. I'd send an email to quality control at Harley and have them look at this.

Old 03-15-2016 | 08:15 PM
arthurn
|
6th Gear

Funny thing. Harley Davidson customer care doesn't give you an email. It's either snail mail or telephone.

Old 03-20-2016 | 06:29 PM
arthurn
|
6th Gear

So final page for now. Sent Harley Davidson customer care pics of the tour pak. All they cared about was letting me know it wasn't a warranty item. One individual told me something had to have hit the tour pak though I told that nothing had. It is interesting how they totally missed the point. It really wasn't about the tour pak. It was about trying to understand how something like this could have happened. I was hoping that someone at Harley could have looked at this and help me figure out what happened so I could be sure it didn't happen again. If I had been two up, somebody could have gotten hurt. Anyway, spring is on the way. Be safe.

Old 03-20-2016 | 10:56 PM
Backdraft161
Tourer

Originally Posted by arthurn
So final page for now. Sent Harley Davidson customer care pics of the tour pak. All they cared about was letting me know it wasn't a warranty item. One individual told me something had to have hit the tour pak though I told that nothing had. It is interesting how they totally missed the point. It really wasn't about the tour pak. It was about trying to understand how something like this could have happened. I was hoping that someone at Harley could have looked at this and help me figure out what happened so I could be sure it didn't happen again. If I had been two up, somebody could have gotten hurt. Anyway, spring is on the way. Be safe.
I would say that when you install another one, you may want to install rubber bushings between the pac and the metal plate. The shock of hitting bumps and man hole covers that are recessed can provide enough to tear up the bottom of the pac.

Quick Reply: Broken Tour Pak