General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

ClutchWIZ & CVO Clutch Spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 PM
D2wing
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 2001 police parade duty Electraglide converted to be like a Classic. The police model has a little heavier spring. Due to injury and degeneration of my hands I installed a Burly EZ pull clutch doohickey this spring. The difference was pretty slight. I was considering selling my bike or getting a Recluze Clutch. Then I found out about the Clutch Wiz and installed it myself in a little more than a hour, most of which was finding my tools.
I did not change the spring but I adjusted the clutch. I rode for a couple hours today and I was very happy with it. The clutch was nearly half as stiff. There wasn't any slippage at all when I hammered it and it shifted fine. If it is a fairly stock bike I won't worry about the spring, but the Clutch Wiz is easy to install so you just change the spring later if needed.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by D2wing
I have an 2001 police parade duty Electraglide converted to be like a Classic. The police model has a little heavier spring. Due to injury and degeneration of my hands I installed a Burly EZ pull clutch doohickey this spring. The difference was pretty slight. I was considering selling my bike or getting a Recluze Clutch. Then I found out about the Clutch Wiz and installed it myself in a little more than a hour, most of which was finding my tools.
I did not change the spring but I adjusted the clutch. I rode for a couple hours today and I was very happy with it. The clutch was nearly half as stiff. There wasn't any slippage at all when I hammered it and it shifted fine. If it is a fairly stock bike I won't worry about the spring, but the Clutch Wiz is easy to install so you just change the spring later if needed.
The only thing the CW did was allow you to change spring pressure with out removing the primary cover. You could have also gone to a lighter spring.. I would question as to whether of not the Burly arm was installed right as it reduces lever pull by a little over 30%.. You should be able to feel that..

Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,151 Posts

My friend has it on his '14 street glide and I have it on my '15 limited. I did put the heavy duty spring in mine. He ordered both his and mine. He did not install the spring on his.

He. Has a hand problem and I don't. I drive in heavy traffic he doesn't. It's about 1/2 the pull even with the heavy duty spring. His is even easier. We are having no issues with slipping and even though I do not have any hand issues it's much better in bumper to bumper traffic. I would recommend just installing the clutchwiz without the spring and I'm sure you'll be fine.

His was 15 minutes, mine was about 1/2 hr or so, because you have to take the primary cover off.

Good luck either way.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Here is the difference in measured lever pressure and how the pressure plate pressure changes with the clutch wiz.. Clutch lever pulls were checked on an 07 FLHTC with 18 degree clutch ramps (stock) .

The 103 spring is about 340 lbs so the plate pressure will be about 255 lbs. If you don't get on that much it will likely hold. One thing to look at is the primary oil and if it's getting darker between changes. If not you are likely good.