General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

tuning my s&s super e carb popping on decel

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:59 PM
polish hammer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tuning my s&s super e carb popping on decel

ive changed jets 2 times sooo far

and i'm still gettin poppin on decel

my car is super e carb sent on my V111"

running an open element air cleaner

Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Decel popping comes from fuel burning in your exhaust pipe. This is normal. Stock bikes have decel popping but riders don't usually hear it until they put on less restrictive exhaust systems.

Basically what's happening is as you reduce the throttle to slow down, the throttle plates reduce the amount of air and fuel entering the combustion chamber. This creates a vacuum (reduced pressure). As the pressure reduces the air/fuel combination burns slower causing some fuel to be left over as the exhaust valve opens. This causes fuel to enter the exhaust and ignite due to the heat of the pipe. The ignited fuel is what is causing the popping sound.

As stated before this is a normal occurrence on all internal combustion engines. You can do a couple of things to help reduce the popping:

1. Use stock or DOT approved mufflers to help mask the sound.
2. Update your tuner/map to add more fuel during deceleration. This increases the pressure which results in burning more fuel off before the exhaust stroke. Just be warned, too much fuel on deceleration can flood your engine causing it to stall.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:30 PM
gearhedd
Advanced

If your int. jet is correct, and a leak isn't causing it, you might help or get rid of the decel pop with the idle mixture screw. Counterclockwise to richen. I have the V111 and made very fine adjustments while riding it to find the right spot.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 PM
polish hammer
Tourer
Default update

i kept changing jets till i found a sweet spot then i fine tuned the idle,idle mixture, accelerator screw till i cleared it up!

then i changed my exhuast to a thunder header and now starting over hahahahahaha