General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

One Piece Inner Primary Bearing Failed

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,981 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Why did you use a S&S inner-race?

Old 05-30-2015, 02:35 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by nevadarider
Okay. I received the Jims Sealed one piece bearing kit yesterday. It looks to be the all ***** kit with the label card removed, and the bearing is marked KLM which I'm pretty sure is Chinese made. Same exact bearing I just took out if the bike last weekend.
So, I picked up the Harley roller bearing and an S&S race. I installed the S&S race and just as I got close to the required 0.1 inch distance from the nut/seal, the race stopped right there. I think my tool would have broke if I tried to force it any further. I'm not sure what causes the race to stop but I'm sure that it isn't going to move until I really want it to. Someone else said the Baker one piece bearing is an NSK brand. Should be better and if I hear that is really dependable from various impartial sources, maybe I'll try that next time. I'm supposed to go on a run day after tomorrow so I had to get 'er done, but for me, I just want a trust-worthy friggin motorcycle that loves to run and has that sound and feel that we live for. Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing your experiences so I can find my way through the myriad of parts out there and build my bike the way I want it. Awesome info here!
We have used no less than a dozen Baker bearings when doing work in the primary at our shop, all without issue...

Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Isn't the S&S race a tapered race so it can't walk? IIRC it is only available for pre '09

Old 05-31-2015, 06:13 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,981 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Einan
Isn't the S&S race a tapered race so it can't walk? IIRC it is only available for pre '09

You are right..curiosity got the best of me.

quote from S&S

The tendency of the stock inner primary bearing race on late model big twins to shift on the transmission mainshaft under high torque loads, also known as “walking” of the race, can cause destruction of the transmission mainshaft seal, and ultimately the mainshaft seal, output gear and output gear bearing. The S&S inner primary bearing race features an extra step on the inside diameter that acts as a stop on the transmission mainshaft. When the race is pressed on to the shaft, the step will not allow the race to move inward toward the mainshaft seal. The improved S&S bearing race is a must for any high performance application. Fits 2008 - up Big Twins

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-31-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:39 PM
nevadarider
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the S&S inner race because I already had it in the garage. I was going to use it last year but decided then to try the allballs one piece bearing instead. I did the S&S race and a stock bearing in there last weekend. No leaks, noise is gone now, etc. The next time I need to go back in there, I may decide to try the Baker set up at that time, But from what I see looking at the parts I have now, I don't think there is going to be a problem. And I will add this: I am a little skeptical of the slip fit on the one piece bearings. If for any reason the bearing locks up, the tranny shaft will definitely be damaged. With the two piece design, should there be such a problem, the shaft might be left unscathed.
So, for my two cents worth, the stock bearing and seal with the S&S inner race works fine, and if the Baker one-piece set up builds a good reputation for dependability, then it is also fine.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:37 AM
themechanic1776
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I know that this threads old buT damn It if the new all ***** bearing I installed 300 miles ago didn’t feel and just as you so correctly stated it feels “ notchy” ! I’ve used all ***** exclusively the last 8 years never had a single issue always replaced before they
went bad but this is concerning that said I’m in process of installing the baker high torque kit which I hope last longer then the all ***** did !

Old 07-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,965 Likes on 4,037 Posts

One of the things, I've found is that the 6205 bearings fit way tight in the inner primary case on my 2000 fxdx. The pressure on the bearing made it notchy and the inner race started to slip some on the mainshaft. Didn't like the wear. I suppose that I could have figured out a way to hone the case but it was easier to go back to the stock setup and use an SnS inner race.