General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Chinese made cylinders for 883 to 1200 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015 | 01:22 PM
cszwed
|
Novice
Default Chinese made cylinders for 883 to 1200 conversion

I bought a 1200cc conversion kit for the purpose of completing my power upgrade. Never buy Chinese made parts for a Harley. Look at this! The gaskets are correct for the engine case and all the holes line up correctly except for the holes on the new cylinders. I never expected this. The cylinders are from VTwin manufacturing purchased from a dealer out East. I have notified the dealer of a problem with the cylinder casing gasket alignment. Am still waiting for a response regarding gasket alignment.

Old 03-19-2015 | 04:43 PM
Pix
Road Master

Close is good enough, for most of the crap that comes from the Chinese!

Old 03-19-2015 | 04:51 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

What?

Old 03-19-2015 | 10:19 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I can't believe you would put Chinese crap into the heart of a Harley.

Nothing but OEM for me.

Old 03-20-2015 | 09:37 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor

Even when it comes to rims, Over seas isn't the way to go.

We have customers who say they can find cheaper wheels than what we sell but 9 times out of 10 they are from over seas, no warranties, and aren't forged wheels.

You get what you pay for when it comes to Harley parts!

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 03-20-2015 | 10:14 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Those gaskets don't surprise me, just try on some chinese made shoes and see if any two of the same size fit the same.

Originally Posted by WanaRyd Wheels
Even when it comes to rims, Over seas isn't the way to go.

We have customers who say they can find cheaper wheels than what we sell but 9 times out of 10 they are from over seas, no warranties, and aren't forged wheels.

You get what you pay for when it comes to Harley parts!
I got a spoke replacement wheel for my 1200 when the oem cracked, new one had made in China on it, of course. Going to swap it with a Harley cast wheel from a bike I'm selling. The wheel actually looks better made the original, but it had wheel bearings that had plastic cages installed in them. Ever see bearings get pulled from a wheel that had never been on the ground?

You've got some beautiful wheels, just not in my pension budget, for now anyway.

Old 03-20-2015 | 10:15 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
I can't believe you would put Chinese crap into the heart of a Harley.
!!!!

Old 03-20-2015 | 10:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I don't really think anyone here is staggered that something made in China is of poor quality.

I think what does surprise most of us is that someone would set out to buy or use Chinese made sh*t on a Harley. Shoulda just bought the Yat Ming scooter and been done with it.

Now maybe I have it wrong and somebody sold you those parts with idea they were from the USA. In which case I offer my apology and encourage you to throw them thru said vendors front window.

Old 03-20-2015 | 04:00 PM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Those gaskets don't surprise me, just try on some chinese made shoes and see if any two of the same size fit the same.

I got a spoke replacement wheel for my 1200 when the oem cracked, new one had made in China on it, of course. Going to swap it with a Harley cast wheel from a bike I'm selling. The wheel actually looks better made the original, but it had wheel bearings that had plastic cages installed in them. Ever see bearings get pulled from a wheel that had never been on the ground?

You've got some beautiful wheels, just not in my pension budget, for now anyway.

Hey we are running a March Madness Sale!! We'd love to get you into some!

If not help us spread the word!

Old 03-21-2015 | 09:32 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I don't really think anyone here is staggered that something made in China is of poor quality.

I think what does surprise most of us is that someone would set out to buy or use Chinese made sh*t on a Harley. Shoulda just bought the Yat Ming scooter and been done with it.

Now maybe I have it wrong and somebody sold you those parts with idea they were from the USA. In which case I offer my apology and encourage you to throw them thru said vendors front window.
I understand, appreciate and concur with you, but where do you think the "Wall of Chrome" merchandise at your local (or non local) Harley dealership comes from?

Also,
Originally Posted by Imold
Those gaskets don't surprise me
Small Detail, but i think the OP is talking about the cylinders...the gaskets are fine.

Last edited by multihdrdr; 03-21-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Chinese made cylinders for 883 to 1200 conversion