General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Chinese made cylinders for 883 to 1200 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015 | 09:59 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
I understand, appreciate and concur with you, but where do you think the "Wall of Chrome" merchandise at your local (or non local) Harley dealership comes from?

Also,

Small Detail, but i think the OP is talking about the cylinders...the gaskets are fine.
Oops... you are correct, he did say they line up with the cases.

The cast front wheel I'm putting on my 1200 came off a Harley, and it's made in Australia. I don't have a problem with Aussie craftsmanship, though, fine folks down there.

Old 03-22-2015 | 07:34 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I understand, appreciate and concur with you, but where do you think the "Wall of Chrome" merchandise at your local (or non local) Harley dealership comes from?

Also,

Small Detail, but i think the OP is talking about the cylinders...the gaskets are fine.
I'm a chrome don't get you home kind of guy. This is my bike.

Harley may well have put some Chinese crap on my bike but I won't buy unless I absolutely have to. I did buy some LED lights from Custom Dynamics that are made in China. That was a little disappointing, especially since 2 didn't work right out of the package. That said Custom Dynamics is a good company and my guess is they'll make it right.

Old 03-23-2015 | 05:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

This Chinese crap keeps coming up on HDF and no doubt elsewhere that Harley owners meet. You Yanks really do need to get a life! I just bought five packs of various small parts for my bike, one of which is made in the USA, the others China, Taiwan and Japan - they are all critical components. Your forks and shocks are Japanese and on recent bikes your wheels are Chinese, plus no doubt many other components. Our Harleys are truly International! By all means buy American parts when you can, but for some of us it really doesn't matter - after all the computers we are all using are probably Chinese......

Old 03-23-2015 | 10:21 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

My complaint isn't that it comes from a foreign country; it's that it comes from a foreign country that manufactures pure junk in most cases. (That's China I'm talking about).

And if it weren't for Americans buying Harleys the rest of the world wouldn't get them. You can't have your American apple pie without a side order of colonialism

Old 03-23-2015 | 10:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Harley wheels are Chinese - perhaps the most critical part of a bike......

Old 03-23-2015 | 11:08 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
The Aussies are/were? making some of those.
OR
澳大利亚人是/人?做一些这些的

Last edited by multihdrdr; 03-23-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2015 | 11:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Not on either of my Harleys. They're from Australia. One is a 2011 and the other is a 2002. The wheels on my wife's 2006 are made in the USA.

Australia isn't a town in China is it ??

Old 03-23-2015 | 11:35 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Australia isn't a town in China is it ??
It's a very large town South of Shanghai

Old 03-23-2015 | 11:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

The Aussies are/were? making some of those.
OR
澳大利亚人是/人?做一些这些的
You're quite right, I first noticed when the V-Rod came out, but I understand they were made there for many years. I have an '02 Deuce wheel in my bike which is Australian, but wheel manufacture was transferred to China fairly recently, possibly during 2013. There is an article about that here.

Old 03-24-2015 | 07:53 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

2000 Sportster wheel -

GR - A lot of folks over here aren't happy about the millions of lost jobs when so much manufacturing went to China. I've talked to several people that had to find a new career when their job went overseas, and that really screws your retirement when it happens in your 50's, as so many have. Our huge steel industry has next to disappeared, and the even bigger auto industry employs a fraction of what it used to in this country. I'm not blaming China; we did it to ourselves. Just leaves a bad taste when one of our favorite American icons joins the greed for profit over quality.

I seldom buy Harley parts when American made aftermarket parts are available; they're usually cheaper, and often better quality. I do choose over American occasionally; Avons are so much better handling than any Dunlop I've ridden on. Maybe one of the Chinese tires are, too, but I wouldn't trust them (and really doubt that anyway).

Quick Reply: Chinese made cylinders for 883 to 1200 conversion