General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

dyno tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 AM
bigdawg06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno tuning

not sure if this is the right place to post this. but im looking to see if the dyno tune is really worth the money?
what do you get out of the dyno tune?
im got a 13 SG with stage 1.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

With just a "Stage 1", no you don't need to dole out the money for a Dyno tune. A simple dealer download to richen the air/fuel ratio will do. Save your money for the Dyno if you later on do some reworking of the engine internals.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Oldenough is correct. I bought my powervision 2 from fuelmoto, and had them send it with a tune for stage q 103. Worked great for over a year.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

When I bought my bike, the dealer did a stage 1 and I think it's called a flash load or something just to make things better than what the factory had. When I had my motor rebuilt last year, before it left the shop, they did a dyno to make sure everything was set up to how my Indy wanted it to be. He had it close but the dyno made it better.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 PM
bigdawg06
Intermediate

that's what I meant. I have the stage one with the hd tune. im thinking my next change would be 255 cams. just wondered what the real benefit to a dyno tune would be. so if you don't really have any work done its not worth it then?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdawg06
that's what I meant. I have the stage one with the hd tune. im thinking my next change would be 255 cams. just wondered what the real benefit to a dyno tune would be. so if you don't really have any work done its not worth it then?
Your bike came from the factory with settings that are designed to meet EPA regulations. By having a stage 1 done, plus the dealer download, your bike still complies with those EPA regulations. A dyno tune can probably only be done by adding a suitable tuning device, but that will enable the settings of your engine to be optimised away from EPA. That may also require removal of the catalyst. The benefit of the dyno tune will be a cooler running engine that will probably give a little more power and torque, but also be nicer to ride.

The stock cams are also designed to comply with EPA regs and the more mods you do that alter your bike from stock, the greater the benefit of having a dyno tune, to optimise it.

Hope that helps a bit!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 PM
bigdawg06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
Your bike came from the factory with settings that are designed to meet EPA regulations. By having a stage 1 done, plus the dealer download, your bike still complies with those EPA regulations. A dyno tune can probably only be done by adding a suitable tuning device, but that will enable the settings of your engine to be optimised away from EPA. That may also require removal of the catalyst. The benefit of the dyno tune will be a cooler running engine that will probably give a little more power and torque, but also be nicer to ride.

The stock cams are also designed to comply with EPA regs and the more mods you do that alter your bike from stock, the greater the benefit of having a dyno tune, to optimise it.

Hope that helps a bit!
thanks that does help. ive removed the cat, never thought about EPA in the tune. I would think that this is where a programmer would be better then the HD tune.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bigdawg06
thanks that does help. ive removed the cat, never thought about EPA in the tune. I would think that this is where a programmer would be better then the HD tune.
Even ignition the advance curve may be compromised by the need to meet EPA, so a tuner is a good thing and an add-on tuner makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by grbrown; 01-21-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:29 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,764 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Ya its worth it, more HP, tork, run cooler, and will perform at its max if done right. If you live in central Pa or NJ I know a guy who I think is one of the best.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 AM
bigdawg06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by touchdown
Ya its worth it, more HP, tork, run cooler, and will perform at its max if done right. If you live in central Pa or NJ I know a guy who I think is one of the best.
are you saying the dyno tune? or the programmer is worth it? im up in Canada so NJ is just a bit out of the way for me. lol

Quick Reply: dyno tuning