General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DISCONTINUING OF MODELS IN 2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 10:02 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: DISCONTINUING OF MODELS IN 2008

AMF Days? I remember them. Free bowling with a bike purchase.

Old 04-10-2007 | 10:06 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

AMF Days? I remember them. Free bowling with a bike purchase.
Sometimes you got a free bowling pin with your bike. Too bad it was inside one of the cylinders! Hahaha!!! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-10-2007 | 10:14 PM
WolfDog
Road Master

I'm with Mudpuddle..........

Said it the best........[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 04-11-2007 | 12:23 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Wally

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I dont buy it, harley doesnt say anything this time of year, they disclose all year model info at the national dealer meeting in june. Untill then its just a rumor![sm=laughat.gif][sm=signs006.gif]
Close, but, not entirely true.
From what I've heard, the dealers are doing their first quarter booking orders at this time of year. They have to pick colours and options like wheels andalarm systems or not. If a model isn't being offered next year, they aren't going to be listed on any order sheets now.
+1

Dealers already have the color charts for the confirmed '08 models and they are being informed as to what will not be available for the first quarter (aka "Phase 1") of the '08 model year.

What Harley doesn't tell dealers is info on new models and what updates are made to existing models.

Old 04-11-2007 | 12:53 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior

ok well I started a new job installing DTV Monday and recently found out Harley makes TV's??? Wouldn't it be more cost cutting to quit that and stick to bikes since I have never seen 1 for sale anywhere or at someones house

Old 04-11-2007 | 03:16 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I was actually wanting to get a Harley-Davidson Blender for the kitchen.

Joe
[&:]

Old 04-11-2007 | 08:12 AM
bedechi
1st Gear

the wide gilde the springer classic are gone for sure. Frank

Old 04-11-2007 | 08:38 AM
corgi
Road Master

what's next shaft drive????????

Old 04-11-2007 | 08:56 AM
stevegray
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: traveler

My PERSONAL take:

They SHOULD go to 4 models max! The market isn't going to sustain having all these models!

Do I think they will do it? Probably not.

When I was a kid, I remember Harley offered the Sportster (Ironhead), the FLH (a Bagger to you newbies!), and the Superglide and Lowrider....that's it! I used to have a MINT 1976 Bicentennial Dealer Borchure when I was a kid with Evil Knievel on it! Missing now, d@mnit!!!!

Anyway, it was a picture with Evil and the 4-5 models offered on it! Really cool stuff....the old AMF Shovelhead and Ironhead days!

I think they should:

1. Offer the 883 sportster XL
2. Offer the Dyna Superglide
3. Offer the Softtail standard
4. Ofer the "FLH" (a electraglide Ultra) ; but with silver engine

That is it! No more "factory customs". People can customize them as they wish after purchase!
It is too much overhead to offer. All engines are silver, and the Softtail is retofitted to run the 96A motor with rubber motor mounts. All big twins are silver 88A's...the Sportster motor is silver, with a factory 6-speed. Offer maybe 3-4 color choices. Black, Blue, Red, and another one or so...

I KNOW this is VERY unpopular with ALL of you, but this is what needs to be done for the MOCO to survive in the LONG run.

The overhead would be less, they could set the price much lower, and the company would be healthy and strong....go to 2 plants maximum....Wilwaukee and another

Joe

I doubt they would do that. People buy up all the new models they put out. Just look around here and see how many people post about trading in their '06 for an '07. Next year we will hear about everybody trading in their '07s for '08s. Take a look at the nightster, it got bought up like candy. Then there are always a ton of people who buy a bike, put 500 miles on it, realize they don't know what they are doing, then sell it on e-bay or trade it in for an SUV. They take a big loss on the bike but HD still gets al their money.

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:41 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: corgi

what's next shaft drive????????
Believe it or not, Harley has already done it! They had a military version with shaft drive and a BMW boxer style engine...can't remember the model name......VERY rare!

I PERSONALLY would love to have a shaft drive

Joe

Quick Reply: DISCONTINUING OF MODELS IN 2008