General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DISCONTINUING OF MODELS IN 2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 05:10 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: DISCONTINUING OF MODELS IN 2008

ORIGINAL: fireballin03

WELL WELL WELL, AS OF COUPLE OF DAYS AGO HARLEY DAVIDSON ANNOUNCED TO ALL OF ITS DEALERS IT WILL BE DISCONTINUING THE FXDWG, FXST,FXSTD,FLSTSC,FLHRS, XL883R,VRSCR, AS WELL THE 1 YEAR PRODUCTION OF THE VRSCX AND THE XL50. WERE ALL WONDERING WHY THEY GOT RID OF SOME OF THESE MODELS, BUT SOME WERNT A BIG SELLER! ! !
I just came back from the dealer and I purchased one of each of the ones you listed. They should be worth a fortune soon! Thanks for the tip! (When I lose my shirt and I can't feed my children, where can I reach you?) lol

Old 04-10-2007 | 08:23 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

sshhhh,

I ordered one as well. They said someone already had #1 ordered, it must have been you. I got #2.

seriously though. I would buy a water coold Ultra Classic - as long as it still looked like an Ultra Classic - I would especially be interested if it was producing 100/100 or better (at the REAR WHEEL)
Check this concept bike out - Todd of "Todds Harley Pics", and MSN group, gets full credit for this picture. I did not create it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15802/34E5E85A101748DAA400E800C1959452.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-10-2007 | 08:37 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member

There's an old expression: Three rumors make it true!

Old 04-10-2007 | 08:39 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Its all for the new water powered line up for '08. The new engine runs on compressed water. 100% Green they call it!

I can't wait to test ride one. I hear that you can add pontoons and take them out on the lake too. And never run out of fuel

Old 04-10-2007 | 08:52 PM
akenaten
Banned

I'm impressed that you all know the meanings of those letters. I can remember mine (XL) and that's about it. Personally I wish they'd quit using them and just NAME the damn things. Proceed to flame away!

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:11 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I dont buy it, harley doesnt say anything this time of year, they disclose all year model info at the national dealer meeting in june. Untill then its just a rumor![sm=laughat.gif][sm=signs006.gif]
Close, but, not entirely true.
From what I've heard, the dealers are doing their first quarter booking orders at this time of year. They have to pick colours and options like wheels andalarm systems or not. If a model isn't being offered next year, they aren't going to be listed on any order sheets now.

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:18 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

My PERSONAL take:

They SHOULD go to 4 models max! The market isn't going to sustain having all these models!

Do I think they will do it? Probably not.

When I was a kid, I remember Harley offered the Sportster (Ironhead), the FLH (a Bagger to you newbies!), and the Superglide and Lowrider....that's it! I used to have a MINT 1976 Bicentennial Dealer Borchure when I was a kid with Evil Knievel on it! Missing now, d@mnit!!!!

Anyway, it was a picture with Evil and the 4-5 models offered on it! Really cool stuff....the old AMF Shovelhead and Ironhead days!

I think they should:

1. Offer the 883 sportster XL
2. Offer the Dyna Superglide
3. Offer the Softtail standard
4. Ofer the "FLH" (a electraglide Ultra) ; but with silver engine

That is it! No more "factory customs". People can customize them as they wish after purchase!
It is too much overhead to offer. All engines are silver, and the Softtail is retofitted to run the 96A motor with rubber motor mounts. All big twins are silver 88A's...the Sportster motor is silver, with a factory 6-speed. Offer maybe 3-4 color choices. Black, Blue, Red, and another one or so...

I KNOW this is VERY unpopular with ALL of you, but this is what needs to be done for the MOCO to survive in the LONG run.

The overhead would be less, they could set the price much lower, and the company would be healthy and strong....go to 2 plants maximum....Wilwaukee and another

Joe

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:20 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

I could see them removing some models due to sales. I would think that the FXDWG may go since the Softail Custom seems to get most of those sales since it came out. The Softail Standard seems amazing, but then again who knows.

I had one dealer tell me not to buy and 06 because some things were coming in 07 that may be worth the wait. I was told this in May. I believe that some good dealers would know what is happening, but to tell an employee would be foolish.

Which is where we are right now from that happening (if in fact it did)

Not calling anyone a liar, just that sensitive information is just that

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:22 PM
BlueShift
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Custom07RKC

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

Did HD announce that you need to discontinue the use of your caps lock as well?
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] Now that is freaking funny.

Hey some of us are actually hearing impaired.

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:28 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: traveler

My PERSONAL take:

They SHOULD go to 4 models max! The market isn't going to sustain having all these models!

Do I think they will do it? Probably not.

When I was a kid, I remember Harley offered the Sportster (Ironhead), the FLH (a Bagger to you newbies!), and the Superglide and Lowrider....that's it! I used to have a MINT 1976 Bicentennial Dealer Borchure when I was a kid with Evil Knievel on it! Missing now, d@mnit!!!!

Anyway, it was a picture with Evil and the 4-5 models offered on it! Really cool stuff....the old AMF Shovelhead and Ironhead days!

I think they should:

1. Offer the 883 sportster XL
2. Offer the Dyna Superglide
3. Offer the Softtail standard
4. Ofer the "FLH" (a electraglide Ultra) ; but with silver engine

That is it! No more "factory customs". People can customize them as they wish after purchase!
It is too much overhead to offer. All engines are silver, and the Softtail is retofitted to run the 96A motor with rubber motor mounts. All big twins are silver 88A's...the Sportster motor is silver, with a factory 6-speed. Offer maybe 3-4 color choices. Black, Blue, Red, and another one or so...

I KNOW this is VERY unpopular with ALL of you, but this is what needs to be done for the MOCO to survive in the LONG run.

The overhead would be less, they could set the price much lower, and the company would be healthy and strong....go to 2 plants maximum....Wilwaukee and another

Joe

I'm sure we all want to go back to the AMF days!!.......................NOT

Maybe they need to concentrate on their dirt bike and ATV depts. like the metrics.

Or out source everything to India and China.

What ever they do or don't do is gonna pee off somebody. oh well

Quick Reply: DISCONTINUING OF MODELS IN 2008