General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:27 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been lane splitting for decades, legal or not. Never had a problem except the occasional moron (like some in this thread) that gets jealous and pulls the old squeeze maneuver on me.
They usually wind up with a fist sized dent in their hood!

It ought to be legal everywhere, but the sissies in our society (like some in this thread) would fight it every step of the way.

The pussification of America is alive and well!

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:32 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by ngshop
edilgdaor, You make a compelling point and none of us like to be stuck in traffic. I just think it would be tough to implement nationwide without tremendous numbers of accidents and injuries. I respect your opinion.
I don't doubt that there would be problems, but at the same time there are a tremendous number of accidents and injuries happening already, and many of them would be avoided if the motorcycle wasn't there to get hit.

I've been splitting for decades, and public awareness has gotten better in the last decade or so.

We've also been blessed in the last year or so with a public ad campaign from CHP and a state office of traffic safety that raised public awareness about the legality of lane-splitting. It may have helped a bit, but I can't say for sure. I just know that, on the route I typically take that comes to a standstill, motorists on that route are often motorists that drive that route everyday and have gotten used to it. It's still no picnic, but it's MUCH easier than it would seem without having seen it firsthand.

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:35 PM
ngshop
Road Master

Greezey Rider, I suspect "fist sized dents in a hood" would not equal the "old squeeze maneuver" probably more like the death of a stoooopid motorcyclist. I have yet to see a motorcyclist win a war with a larger vehicle.... well maybe with mikelikesbikes and a dump truck.

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:48 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Greezey Rider, I suspect "fist sized dents in a hood" would not equal the "old squeeze maneuver" probably more like the death of a stoooopid motorcyclist. I have yet to see a motorcyclist win a war with a larger vehicle.... well maybe with mikelikesbikes and a dump truck.

I have seen it happen many times and have done it myself a few times.
If you have never seen a motorcycle win a war with a larger vehicle...You haven't been lookin'.

I'm glad I don't think like all of you guys that think that everything that you don't have the stones to do will wind up in "death" to the motorcyclist.

Old 09-11-2014 | 08:51 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redsauce
Hey ABSG. I am not going to make any assumptions about your mentality. That would be immature, to say the least. Why? Simply because I know nothing about you...and you know nothing about me. What I can tell you about me, if you care, is that I am extremely easy going. I am also very sarcastic. I love to laugh and I love to debate things with people. I try and debate with humor so that it doesn't get argumentative. The problem with forums is that no one really knows who they are communicating with (usually), which means that readers seldom pick up on humor or sarcasm. Unless it's already a positive post or reply. The other problem, during a "debate" on forums is that readers usually read a post or a reply and assume the inflection or the emotional state of the OP.
Yeah, some of us morons didn't pick up the sarcasm in the new guy's post - can you imagine?

I am just curious though: have you ever lane-split before? And I am being serious, not argumentative. PEACE!
Completely irrelevant. I don't have to stick my dick in a fan to find out that it's a bad idea. If you've been successful with it, feel free to continue. Clearly we have different opinions.

I've been lane splitting for decades, legal or not. Never had a problem except the occasional moron (like some in this thread) that gets jealous and pulls the old squeeze maneuver on me.
They usually wind up with a fist sized dent in their hood!
Well look out, a real bad *** just came into the room! Seriously Dude, doesn't it get uncomfortable walking around all the time with your chest pumped out, in order to reaffirm your manhood to the masses?

Here's the real scoop on CA lane splitting statistics. It doesn't look bad until you read the little additions under each. There are variables that turn the numbers around drastically.

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lane...eleased-by-ots

Regardless, it's illegal where I live so, it's a mute point.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:05 PM
ngshop
Road Master

Greezey Rider, you win I am taking my nuts in my wheel barrow and going home.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:05 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Yeah, some of us morons didn't pick up the sarcasm in the new guy's post - can you imagine?

Completely irrelevant. I don't have to stick my dick in a fan to find out that it's a bad idea. If you've been successful with it, feel free to continue. Clearly we have different opinions.

Well look out, a real bad *** just came into the room! Seriously Dude, doesn't it get uncomfortable walking around all the time with your chest pumped out, in order to reaffirm your manhood to the masses?

Here's the real scoop on CA lane splitting statistics. It doesn't look bad until you read the little additions under each. There are variables that turn the numbers around drastically.

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lane...eleased-by-ots

I didn't call you, or anyone else in this thread a moron (or any other thread). That is exactly what I post against.

I like intelligent debates. I am OK with being wrong if someone proves me right with intelligence. I believe everyone, even the ones without a dick, would agree that you don't have to stick your sick into a fan to find out it's a bad idea. Not a good analogy.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:06 PM
rjo3491
Road Master

They can make it legal everywhere for all I care, I'll never do it.

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:09 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG

It's illegal where I live too....So what? You never did anything illegal before?

Old 09-11-2014 | 09:10 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

well maybe with mikelikesbikes and a dump truck.
I've heard this twice now...can someone point me to this thread so I can get on board?

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?