General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:31 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ngshop
Rhino-1, No proof, just opinion. I for one do not drive my car in a perfect defined space narrower than the width of my lane. In other words if you zip by me on your motorcycle in "my" lane there is a chance that I/We could could collide in the same lane. dumbassedness on someone's part?

edilgdaor, see above, based on your logic of protecting your ***, literally no vehicles would ever be behind you in your travels.
Not to argue with anyone... I just think lane splitting is extremely unsafe especially implementing it in a new area not accustomed to the practice.

Imagine Mikelikesbikes in North Carolina getting his mirrors bumped by a lane splitter......
We know what the dump truck did to his mind! WOW!

You said it yourself...all opinion. No clue about the real thing. That collision in your lane at 20 mph would be devastating

http://writenride.files.wordpress.co...ne-split-3.jpg

Last edited by FlamedFXR; 09-11-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2014 | 07:32 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master

should be legal everywhere -- as long as certain guidelines are followed and enforced

1) Cannot being going faster than 15 mph faster than traffic speed up to 30 mph per hour. If traffic is going 30 mph, there is no lane splitting allowed.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:34 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by ngshop;13207203@

edilgdaor, see above, based on your logic of protecting your ***, literally no vehicles would ever be behind you in your travels.
Well, in the scenario involving choosing between riding in stop-and-go traffic, or choosing to lane-split, there occasionally will be another vehicle (another motorcycle) behind me. But in all other riding, there wil, nearly ALWAYS be a vehicle behind me, so I don't understand your point.

But what's wrong with reducing the chance of having a vehicle behind you. Isn't that the same as avoiding riding in a car's blind spots ? Riding a motorcycle has alot to do with avoiding risk. I fail to see why ANYBODY would choose to TRIPLE their risk of getting in an accident, but I see that many people here advocate tripling their chances of getting hit. Not very smart, if you ask me.

By the way, I HATE lane- splitting. I try to avoid situation which require me to do so, because I also hate the idea of getting rear-ended, just like I avoid following cars with mattresses on their roofs, following trailers with old recaps, and pickup trucks with unsecured loads in their over-stacked beds. It's all about minimizing the risks.

Last edited by edilgdaor; 09-11-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2014 | 07:34 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

It makes me wonder what people thought when they first started making multi-lane roads..."You want to put those huge cars next to each other?!" "You want cars moving in opposite directions to pass each other that closely?!"

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:40 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

I was going to stay out of this, But here in Fla.drivers would not co-operate, We have 90 year olds doing 30mph in left lane with signal on for miles while at the same time we have impatient hothead road ragers weaving in and out across 3 lanes, Not one woman that can put the f!@#$%g phone down for 5 minutes, no one gives a damn what's coming up behind em. Combine all that with a few semi-trucks, that can't see you.Running red lights is common,especially double left turn lanes.People are just too selfish and inconsiderate to share the road as it is. Add motorcycles passing inside outside in between, Seems like a recipe for disaster,After all they're not going to get hurt but you could be squashed like bug and half of em wouldn't notice or stop or care if they did.Just my 2¢ worth after 40+ years riding in this state.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:42 PM
ngshop
Road Master

edilgdaor, I agree why would anybody choose to triple their risk of an accident? I see you/people zipping by me in the same lane startling me, as increasing your risk greatly. Again, it is only my opinion. I would think a lot of riders have been passed legally or otherwise and startled on a multi-lane highway.... think they could be startled lane-splitting?

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:44 PM
Ronder
Cruiser

I have seen it in Italy and as a new rider it looks and it is not safe .. IMO

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:45 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up Yes, Yes & Yes.

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Anybody that is against it has NO friggen clue how it works and you look like an *** trying to explain why. "Pay extra to lane split".
I'm thinking all the 'No' wish they had it. Jealous???

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:46 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain

Couldn't make it legal on most of the highways here in Rochester, NY. ...our highway lanes are so narrow, I'd never do it. I was just thinking about this while stuck in traffic the other day. I also noticed cars constantly changing lanes, and said to myself, "self.....that would be deadly."

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:57 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Those that don't like lane splitting, don't do it. Just don't force your opinions on me and don't tell me what to or not to do?

Are we all good with that?

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?