General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014 | 07:26 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Split over 20 miles today combined going and coming from Santa Barbara. One C*&^ tried to run me into a 5th wheel. She kept coming over and closing up the lane. Stopped at her window and called her and her man c*&^%. Just the childish behavior some posters here have of not wanting anyone to get through, if they cannot

Old 10-06-2014 | 07:49 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by jcapps
Split over 20 miles today combined going and coming from Santa Barbara. One C*&^ tried to run me into a 5th wheel. She kept coming over and closing up the lane. Stopped at her window and called her and her man c*&^%. Just the childish behavior some posters here have of not wanting anyone to get through, if they cannot
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 10-06-2014 | 08:37 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcapps

That's just how people drive over there...don't take it personal! LOL

I really think some people don't know it is not illegal. Those people see you trying to "cut" in line, which they feel is wrong, so they are trying to prevent you from doing it. Think if you were in a cage, and you see another cage trying to ride the line up to the front of the line. Just because they are driving a tiny car, and it physically fits. You would probably hug the side so they wouldn't be able to. Not saying their actions are right (cause they are not), just stating why they might be doing it.

Old 10-06-2014 | 11:02 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

It's those people that make it dangerous. You just never know when one will show their stupid *** and it maybe too late then. It's why I would only filter very slowly and not at all if there is any movement at all.

Old 10-06-2014 | 11:54 AM
silent1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
It's those people that make it dangerous. You just never know when one will show their stupid *** and it maybe too late then. It's why I would only filter very slowly and not at all if there is any movement at all.
As most people said, you're only going a few miles faster than the rest of traffic is moving. Usually you can predict what people are going to do ahead of time. Keep your foot on the back brake and you're all set.

Lately, I'm finding people actually move over to give me room. It's been a while since I've run into a hostile driver.

Old 01-29-2015 | 01:02 PM
idolno1
Advanced

YES ABSOLUTELY.

Why, because we as riders are not polluting the air as much as your big *** SU ****en V's. Now that were on that subject, why do you need such a BIG *** car on the highway anyway which is only occupied by ONE person majority of the time? It's actually people in cages doing WAY worse things such as crossing double lines, driving on shoulders, driving in an HOV lane with only ONE occupant etc,..

We not hurting no one or anybody accept your ego. Get over it already, I drive a smaller vehicle, promotes cleaner air, and promotes less congestion. Imagine if half the cars on the road were motorcycles, there would be WAY less traffic!

And stop trying to run me off the road because YOU want to play traffic police with MY LIFE!!! I'M ON A DAMN TWO WHEEL VEHICLE, YOU'RE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE!!!

So yeah, get over it!

Last edited by idolno1; 01-29-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2015 | 01:09 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member

Why care what someone else drives?
Some people like small vehicles and some like larger ones.

Variety.

That's what makes the world go 'round.

Old 01-29-2015 | 01:37 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by idolno1
why do you need such a BIG *** car on the highway anyway which is only occupied by ONE person majority of the time?
Actually this one is really easy. Sometimes people need to haul a bunch of stuff, or haul a bunch of people. That can't be done in a prius.

It might be less efficient to drive the SUV alone those times that hauling things isn't needed, but it's usually still less expensive than buying, maintining, and insuring both an SUV and a Prius simultaneously.

Even if you only need the size once every month or so, it's still going to be a lower opportunity cost to just own an SUV than renting a u-haul every month or something.

Old 01-29-2015 | 03:14 PM
idolno1
Advanced

I don't know, I'm not going to be pressured into something just because of a few unhappy people who feel as though they are forced into being stuck in grid lock traffic. Until it is made unlawful I'll continue to do it. I'll do it on the streets at traffic lights, on freeways, or anywhere else I can get away with it.

I'll do it safe and respectful and that should be good enough. If it's good enough for police officers it's good enough for bikers as well. I've driven behind the police, in front of them, and I've also had them pull over to give me room. That says it all.

So shut your pie holes!

Old 01-29-2015 | 03:15 PM
idolno1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Don81
Actually this one is really easy. Sometimes people need to haul a bunch of stuff, or haul a bunch of people. That can't be done in a prius.

It might be less efficient to drive the SUV alone those times that hauling things isn't needed, but it's usually still less expensive than buying, maintining, and insuring both an SUV and a Prius simultaneously.

Even if you only need the size once every month or so, it's still going to be a lower opportunity cost to just own an SUV than renting a u-haul every month or something.

Understandable but not so fast sparky! That isn't the case majority of time now is it? Nope, usually its ******** trying to make a status statement and nothing more.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?