General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:30 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Nearly half of the vegetables, fruits, and nuts grown in the US:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/
If I was a vegan I would be shaking in my boots.

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:46 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Nearly half of the vegetables, fruits, and nuts grown in the US:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

I was kidding.

My strawberries (sometimes) come from Watsonville. Most times I get them locally though. Wonder where they export all that stuff to?

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:46 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jcapps
Maybe thats where the idaho avocados come from, mine are grown in Moorpark

What it boils down to is that many are just jealous of our climate and unable to split lanes from fear or inexperience.
I will stay here. Ride all year long in comfort. Split lanes when needed and enjoy the weather and beauty this state has to offer
People don't dislike Cali out of jealousy of the climate. It's all the other problems with that state they'd rather avoid.

Consistently ranked the worst place to do business.

Bad for new businesses due to big-brother over-regulation

Data shows it is the worst fiscally governed state in the nation.

You can pay the highest income taxes in Cali.

Yet somehow they still manage to be in financial freefall.

Oh hell, I could go on and on.

Let me put it this way. Articles like this don't exist for, I dunno, Virginia. And Virginia is a blue state, so I'm not making any political liberal vs conservative assertations here. California is completely nuts. I can't get my head far enough up my *** to see their point of view on anything.
California isn't like Greece or Spain but they're not on a good path either.

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:52 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcapps
Maybe thats where the idaho avocados come from, mine are grown in Moorpark

What it boils down to is that many are just jealous of our climate and unable to split lanes from fear or inexperience.
I will stay here. Ride all year long in comfort. Split lanes when needed and enjoy the weather and beauty this state has to offer

No, ours do come from Mexico. Cheaper that way I guess.

Yep you got me....once I can practice splitting lanes so I am no longer terrified of it, I'm moving to Cali!!!
I do actually enjoy the seasons, although sometimes I wish it was 75 year round like in Cali. Could save so much $ on coats! LOL

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:53 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Don81
People don't dislike Cali out of jealousy of the climate. It's all the other problems with that state they'd rather avoid.

Let me put it this way. Articles like this don't exist for, I dunno, Virginia. And Virginia is a blue state, so I'm not making any political liberal vs conservative assertations here. California is completely nuts. I can't get my head far enough up my *** to see their point of view on anything.
Careful Don, people will claim you watch too much Fox News!

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:57 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Exactly...The climate is nice, but I'm so glad I got out of there.
I recently took a trip out there and was amazed at the condition of the roads, they're falling apart! Because they have no money to fix them, 'cause they run tax paying businesses out and spend the remaining tax dollars on nonsense.
California is the poster state for why you don't want certain political types running a state.

I was born and raised in that state and the ONLY thing I miss about it is living 15 minutes from Santa Cruz.

Old 10-03-2014 | 03:43 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Careful Don, people will claim you watch too much Fox News!
You think, .............lol

Old 10-03-2014 | 04:04 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

My wife was born and raised in San Mateo and could hardly wait to leave that state when I suggested it. It was a good state but they don't care what moves in there. It's all the people that got run out of all the other states that ruined Cali. The climate, most of the roads and scenery are great. It's the stupid politics. Good grief, they put Moonbeam back in as Governor. They can't even remember their past failures! Just drink the Kool-Aid.

Old 10-03-2014 | 04:20 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

I wont argue your opinion but the articles that you posted links to are 18 months to two years old. Also, people who make over $533,000 per year pay the highest tax rates in the nation. The rest of us paupers pay a high tax rate but not the highest on the middle class. That honor goes to Hawaii, Maine and Oregon.

The last article about being in a financial free fall was written two years ago and guess what? We actually had a surplus this year and Brown (unlike Davis and his Republican predecessor Wilson) wouldn't let the legislature spend it all this time.

The political climate here sucks but I also know that with mine and my wife's high school educations we would not have been able to pull down the money we did anywhere else. I would not have retired at 56. If I choose not to, I will never have to work another day in my life. I can lane split while I ride to Yosemite, Napa or Lake Tahoe in the middle of the week while everyone else is working. Hell I can do Napa and the foothills in December and January.The high real estate costs and taxes were just an investment in achieving that goal. I have several friend who are in construction, trucking, and other trades who started with nothing and are millionaires. It can be done.

The one thing that pisses me off about CA is that our 55 electoral votes have gone to the Democrat in the past six elections. The six prior to that went to the Republicans. I don't think we'll ever get that back.

Last edited by dribble; 10-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2014 | 04:33 PM
Don81
Road Captain

High costs of realestate I can see leveraging. How exactly does one put high tax rates to work as an investment tool?

EDIT: Or maybe you mean you see the cost as the price of admission?

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?