General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014 | 11:39 AM
weekender2098
Tourer

From a LA Times recent article: They also believe the practice increases rider safety by reducing the number of accidents involving motorcycles hit from behind while stuck in traffic jams -- the type of accident that accounts, National Highway Safety Transportation Administration research shows, for more than a quarter of all motorcycle accidents.

One study showed that lane-splitting nationally could prevent 18,000 freeway motorcycle accidents and up to 170 motorcyclist fatalities annually.

"Lane-sharing saves lives and reduces crashes," said motorcycle safety consultant Steve M. Guderian, an outspoken supporter of the practice.

Pointing out that lane-splitting is still legal in California

Old 10-03-2014 | 11:50 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I don't have anything against it, but I question if it really helps with congestion if only a few bikes do it. I'm only commenting on my experiences where in my daily commute I only see maybe 3 or 4 bikes in either direction.

All the other countries, bike travel is 100 times more prevalent then in the US and those cities are really messed up traffic wise.
When I was in the orient, I couldn't believe the traffic and how they drive - bad enough to give you ulcers. No way would I ride a bike there.

It's like helmets - you should have the choice. Make it legal - if you don't want to do it = don't. Simple. Personally I wouldn't even if I could.

Just remember - there ARE idiots, morons and bike haters out there. So be careful.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 10-03-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2014 | 11:54 AM
Don81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I don't have anything against it, but I question if it really helps with congestion if only a few bikes do it. I'm only commenting on my experiences where in my daily commute I only see maybe 3 or 4 bikes in either direction.

All the other countries bike travel is 100 times more prevalent then in the US and those cities are really messed up traffic wise.
When I was in the orient, I couldn't believe the traffic and how they drive - bad enough to give you ulcers.

It's like helmets - you should have the choice. Make it legal - if you don't want to do it = don't. Simple. Personally I wouldn't even if I could.

Just remember - there ARE idiots, morons and bike haters out there. So be careful.
It's kind of a chicken and the egg thing. As the perks go up, more people will take advantage. I know a lot of people that got a bike or a hybrid vehicle to use the HOV lanes in to D.C. after they were implemented.

Old 10-03-2014 | 01:07 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by weekender2098
From a LA Times recent article: They also believe the practice increases rider safety by reducing the number of accidents involving motorcycles hit from behind while stuck in traffic jams -- the type of accident that accounts, National Highway Safety Transportation Administration research shows, for more than a quarter of all motorcycle accidents.

One study showed that lane-splitting nationally could prevent 18,000 freeway motorcycle accidents and up to 170 motorcyclist fatalities annually.

"Lane-sharing saves lives and reduces crashes," said motorcycle safety consultant Steve M. Guderian, an outspoken supporter of the practice.

Pointing out that lane-splitting is still legal in California
I agree and id be willing to bet a lot of the naysayers are folks that dropped $$$ to have a harley and are not highly skilled riders and when i say skilled i mean can they ride a dirt bike on the goat trail peak of a ridge with a 100 foot fall on either side and descend a 18% grade all using the art of balance? Splitting lanes is cake walk compared to his. Thats why ive always believed if you learn to ride in dirt you will be proficient on the road only difference the trees in dirt dont jump out and try to hit you.

Old 10-03-2014 | 01:44 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bagman1
the trees in dirt dont jump out and try to hit you.
Lies! Yes they do!

Old 10-03-2014 | 01:56 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member

Thought of this thread when I saw this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...ked-out-union/

What the rest of the country thinks about Cali...

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:02 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Thought of this thread when I saw this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...ked-out-union/

What the rest of the country thinks about Cali...
Fox news what do you expect.

Kick us out, good luck on feeding 1/2 the country

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:12 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcapps
Fox news what do you expect.

Kick us out, good luck on feeding 1/2 the country

Yes....how would we all live without those California avocados....?

Oh wait, they grow them in Mexico! LOL

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:22 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho

Maybe thats where the idaho avocados come from, mine are grown in Moorpark

What it boils down to is that many are just jealous of our climate and unable to split lanes from fear or inexperience.
I will stay here. Ride all year long in comfort. Split lanes when needed and enjoy the weather and beauty this state has to offer

Old 10-03-2014 | 02:23 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho

Nearly half of the vegetables, fruits, and nuts grown in the US:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?