General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:03 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 6 gun
What if someone backed over your bike and left would that be OK with you?
Of course that wouldn't be ok with me...or with you...or with anyone else who owns a motorcycle. This is my point though, so I am not sure why you asked me this.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:04 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

So, the people who know nothing about lane-splitting and also hate California are against lane-splitting.

Nothing like an informed opinion. Oh, wait, they know nothing about it except that they're biased.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:08 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Uhh, lane-splitting REDUCES the chance of injury and also results in less severe injuries.

NOT lane-splitting TRIPLES your chance of getting rear-ended which will result in more severe injuries.

So, please, explain your logic. Studies show you're wrong.

Amazing how reducing the chances of getting hit will incease death and injuries.

My experience: I've BEEN rear-ended and had a severe concussion. A friend has been rear-ended in a non-lane-splitting state and had a car run over both of his legs.

I know NOBODY who's been hit lane-splitting.

You couldn't be MORE wrong. Guess again.

To play devil's advocate, I do know a few people out here killed while lane splitting, but they were blowing through traffic well over 10 mph faster than other cars and were doing 60+ mph. They were on crotch rockets
and, in my opinion, at those speeds between cars, you're not lane splitting, you're reckless driving. Following the guidelines posted by the CHP or other site that copied them will keep you from becoming dead.

To clarify to those against lane splitting, like operating a vehicle in general, lane splitting isn't a free for all where we ride between cars as fast as we want and cut people off and dive in and out of lanes. If that's what people picture in their heads, they're wrong. Lane splitting is a calculated maneuver between vehicles that are slow or stopped where timing, patience, and courtesy allow you to continue overtaking the vehicles to the sides of you at a relatively slow pace. If you don't think or know you can fit between the two vehicles, you stop or wait behind them. If you have bikes behind you, there's nothing wrong with pulling into the rest of traffic and letting other bikers by.

Lane splitting reduces rear-end fatalities and frees up congestion on the road. Plus, your air-cooled bike doesn't run as hot. The dangers involved in lane splitting still exist whether splitting or not, but they are reduced in splitting.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:16 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jpowell490
You shouldn't be "aloud" to post on the internet. Nice spelling there Gumby. Go back to playing your Call of Duty and screaming for your mom to bring you another root beer......
I love these kind of replies!!

Thank you, jpowell, for pointing out a mis-spelling. Trust me, when I am done typing a post, or a reply, I always proof-read it. I can't stand grammar, spelling or punctuation errors. I don't know. Just my thing, I guess. But, again, thank you for pointing that out for me.

As for Call of Duty? How dare you! Any self-respecting sim video gamer knows that Battlefield is THE only game worth playing.

My mom lives all the way on the other side of the ****ry (Family Guy). She is doing great, though. Thanks for asking. And I never liked root beer. Always a Pepsi guy. Something about cold pizza and a Pepsi in the morning!

I gotta ask...where did you come up with Gumby?

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:16 PM
ngshop
Road Master

Rhino-1, No proof, just opinion. I for one do not drive my car in a perfect defined space narrower than the width of my lane. In other words if you zip by me on your motorcycle in "my" lane there is a chance that I/We could could collide in the same lane. dumbassedness on someone's part?

edilgdaor, see above, based on your logic of protecting your ***, literally no vehicles would ever be behind you in your travels.
Not to argue with anyone... I just think lane splitting is extremely unsafe especially implementing it in a new area not accustomed to the practice.

Imagine Mikelikesbikes in North Carolina getting his mirrors bumped by a lane splitter......
We know what the dump truck did to his mind! WOW!

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:18 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

I alway know when someone has no leg to stand on, when they resort to calling names and talking bad about you or where you live, rather than making a valid point.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:20 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
NO, it should be illegal everywhere! What makes lane splitters think that their time is more valuable than anyone else's? I mean, that's the ONLY reason I can see for doing it. Mechanically, it's not necessary. It creates a dangerous situation, especially if people/cages aren't expecting it and it only makes you look like an ignorant jerk, IMO.
Yeah.

And get rid of those car pool lanes too. I mean, what makes those people using the car pool lanes think their time is so much more valuable than anyone else's? They should have to wait in traffic just like everyone else.

Seriously though, if you look at lane splitting in the same manner as everyone views the car pool lane, it only makes sense. You're using part of the highway to reduce the congestion. As far as creating a dangerous situation, studies in CA have proven that motorcyclists are nearly three times more likely to be in an accident while waiting in traffic (hit from behind) than they are while lane splitting. Not only that, but the injuries from being hit while sitting in traffic are greater than those suffered from accidents while lane splitting.

As far as "should it be legal everywhere," I say "yes" although that's really a complicated question; considering the number of road vigilantes we have in the United States (you know the type, those that think that if they're stuck in traffic, so should everyone else), and the lack of the very wide roads like out in CA, it would cause problems initially.

Still, the UK and continental Europe have been doing it safely for years (they call it filtering) and even have blocks reserved for bikes at intersections so that bikes can filter to the front of the lines of cars. Eventually people in the United States would get used to it as well and the accident rates would drop back to normal levels (maybe even go down since the bikes wouldn't be stuck in the traffic jams).

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:25 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by m6zero
To play devil's advocate, I do know a few people out here killed while lane splitting, but they were blowing through traffic well over 10 mph faster than other cars and were doing 60+ mph.
Not playing devil's advocate at all. I just don't know anybody who rides like that. I guess it could be called lane-splitting.....I'd probably call it something else.

There's a difference between lane-splitting (CHP guidelines called it going no more than 10mph faster than adjacent traffic, while traffic was going less than 30mph, before Ms. Granny Hater got the guidelines taken down) and reckless riding where you have no time to react and correct your trajectory.

I just can't wrap my head around all the people who would prefer to TRIPLE their chances of getting in an accident on a motorcycle. If it's not stupid, it's ignorance or denial. But it's not safer.

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:26 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by redsauce
i love these kind of replies!!

Thank you, jpowell, for pointing out a mis-spelling. Trust me, when i am done typing a post, or a reply, i always proof-read it. I can't stand grammar, spelling or punctuation errors. I don't know. Just my thing, i guess. But, again, thank you for pointing that out for me.

As for call of duty? How dare you! Any self-respecting sim video gamer knows that battlefield is the only game worth playing.

My mom lives all the way on the other side of the ****ry (family guy). She is doing great, though. Thanks for asking. And i never liked root beer. Always a pepsi guy. Something about cold pizza and a pepsi in the morning!

I gotta ask...where did you come up with gumby?

lmao!

Old 09-11-2014 | 07:26 PM
Hell Fire Hog
Cruiser

I'd like to split lanes in all the states, but if the state would keep the shoulders of the freeways clean I'd ride there instead. It could be like a motoexpressway.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?