General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014 | 07:18 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by petom
You have to be 'between lanes of traffic.' That means not the left or right shoulder(the "breakdown lane" in some states). Also, you can't split between the fast lane and the carpool lane even though there's usually a lot more room. That one gets ignored all the time, probably because it makes no sense. I don't know about bikes riding side-by side in one lane, but lane splitting past another bike is legal(but not a good idea).
Thanks! Curious about that stuff.
Can't bikes travel in the car pool lane? Why is lane splitting past another bike not a good idea? Because they may decide to do the same thing and split lanes right into you?

Old 09-30-2014 | 08:26 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Don81
Lane splitting should absolutely be legal.

Lane splitting reduces congestion, reduces pollution, and reduces the commute times of everybody.

The arguments against fall in to 2 camps.

1. "My car's been hit by a lane splitter".
re: Find me statistics on how many cars are hit by lane splitters yearly and I'll find you statistics on how many motorcycles are hit by cars yearly in the same region and I'll bet you $20 bikes hitting cars isn't as bad as you're trying to make it out to be. Accidents happen and idiots are all-pervasive and if the few being stupid and endangering life & limb was really a sensible reason to prohibit everybody, driving would be illegal.

2. "They should have to wait like everybody else".
re: This reply also serves as a handy way to identify shallow thoughtless self-important idiots. If you believe in this, you believe in a stupid goddamn waste of time. No I'm not pulling any punches on this one, it is an opinion held only by idiots who don't think.
Look, you're just as likely to be waiting behind them in line as they are to be waiting behind you in line. When there are less people waiting in line, everybody wins. Traffic flows far more quickly when there is less congestion, both in lines and out of lines, and motorcycles do not contribute to congestion even half as much as cars do. For the dim cagers that can't wrap their head around this, imagine a highway full of 18-wheelers and how shitty that traffic moves. Now imagine replacing them with cars and how much better it would be. Now imagine replacing them with motorcycles and how much better it would be. Get it? So why the **** would we want to make bikes behave like cars? Following that line of logic, why don't we make all the cars behave like 18 wheelers? Because that would be a stupid goddamn waste of time. Not allowing motorcycles to be motorcycles and filter like motorcycles and move like motorcycles, is a stupid goddamn waste of time for everybody.
So what was your point?

Old 10-01-2014 | 12:23 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Thanks! Curious about that stuff.
Can't bikes travel in the car pool lane? Why is lane splitting past another bike not a good idea? Because they may decide to do the same thing and split lanes right into you?
Yes and yes.

Old 10-01-2014 | 12:30 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain

Had another bike splitting lanes today past me, the azzhat was 12" off my right handle bar.

Old 10-01-2014 | 09:41 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dribble
And yes we are one of ten states with a waiting period and have some other ridiculous restrictions
How is that possible? The second amendment clearly doesn't mention a 'waiting period', or any restrictions?

Old 10-01-2014 | 10:50 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
How is that possible? The second amendment clearly doesn't mention a 'waiting period', or any restrictions?

Old 10-01-2014 | 12:18 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Can bikes ride 2 abreast regardless of speed?
Yes. A lot of motorpolice out here even ride in stacks on the freeway. I've done it in both small and large groups pushing ~75 on the freeway without an issue. Personally, though, if I don't have to, I'd rather have my space so I don't have to pay attention to hugging the line. We don't ride in stacks in narrow lanes or when we get into the twisties, though. That's just asking for trouble.

Old 10-01-2014 | 12:19 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harley Hound57
Had another bike splitting lanes today past me, the azzhat was 12" off my right handle bar.
I watch my mirrors and if I get a bike coming up behind me, I'll move over to let him go by. Most will wait until they're clear of you...some won't.

Old 10-01-2014 | 12:22 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Actually just had a judge deem the 10 day waiting period as unconstitutional. That was a pleasant surprise. Hopefully it sticks and they can get away from that. As far as the constitution, California doesn't care. It follows it's own communist rules.

Old 10-01-2014 | 01:03 PM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by m6zero
California doesn't care. It follows it's own communist rules.
Too bad you don't know what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?