General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014 | 07:16 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
No way I would be doing it here. People don't pay enough attention for me to drive next to them much less in between them. Just a risk I'm not going to take. I've watched videos of guys doing this and seems its a miracle they make it unscathed.
Where's here? When you're moving less than 10mph on the Balitmore or DC beltways and surrouding hiways, it's way different then being in a more rural setting. I see you're from Kentucky. I wouldn't do it where I like 80% of the time, but that's because traffic is generally not that bad, but when I travel I would enjoy being able to do it legally.

I sat on I-95N from the SE beltway to the other side of Baltimore and went throught the Harbor tunnel. What's normally a 10-15 minute trip took over an hour because of traffic and by the time I got to the other side of the tunnel, the bike was overheating so bad, it sounded like it wanted to barely run. Lane splitting > sitting on a broken down bike on the side of the road.

Old 09-25-2014 | 09:16 AM
Bones77
Road Captain

No.

Almost got me my first motorcycle early this week. Lane split in very light traffic. Two lanes turning left. I wondered what he would have thought of my "Start Seeing Motorcycle" bumper stickers if he had ended up under my rear tire.

I didn't see anything safe about what he was doing and didn't see that it saved him any time. He was doing it just because.

Now, maybe in heavy freeway standstills, might make a bit more sense.

I live in a cornfield. There's no traffic here.

Bones

Last edited by Bones77; 09-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2014 | 09:33 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Lane splitting on a Piglet or Sport-bike is one thing but it's an entirely different game when you're piloting a a dresser that's three feet wide with a gap that's three feet and six inches.
Do it on my SGS. If its a narrower lane or there is a douche blocking me, I bide my time or cut over to the other lane and split there

Old 09-25-2014 | 09:35 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Well I have lane split but more accurately filtered when I lived in San Jose. I still say there is a difference between splitting and filtering. If the traffic is moving I just don't see where you have any more rights than cars so splitting is just wrong unless you have been doing the creepy crawl long enough to be seriously over heating.

Filtering to me is just barely safe enough to do but then my experience with a door being opened to do nothing more than stop me or if I had been going faster, harm me is different than those that have never seen that. So I'm not necessarily "for" lane splitting. But would be "for" filtering. But it's obvious there are those that think they have more "rights" than others.

So it will never end until it's just plain outlawed. It won't be those that "filter" that will force the issue though. JMO
If a MFer ever opened a door in front of me, he would never have to worry about getting his door fixed

I actually see that there are a few posters on this forum that WOULD do that

Old 09-25-2014 | 11:17 AM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jcapps
Do it on my SGS. If its a narrower lane or there is a douche blocking me, I bide my time or cut over to the other lane and split there
I split on my SGS all the time, too. If the fairing fits with more than a couple inches on either side, I'm going through. I'll usually walk it through when traffic is stopped and it's a tight squeeze. However, if there's ANY doubt in my mind whether or not I can fit, I'm pulling up right behind the car and waiting for traffic to start moving again or for the guy to move over a bit (which they do a good majority of the time). Nothing wrong with splitting with these bikes.

Old 09-25-2014 | 11:45 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I doubt anyone on this forum would even think of opening their door. Just because some disagree with the concept, bikers usually stick together - unless they're a complete a$$hole. If they do we'll send jcapps after them.

Just stay safe - only you know the situation facing you. No one else.

Old 09-25-2014 | 08:06 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slozomby
its quite simple if your lane splitting the you are in the wrong when contacting another vehicle. chp's golden rule is its always the bikes fault unless there are several witnesses to attest otherwise.
Yes, as I've already noted when I referenced being hit in my car by a motorcyclist lane-splitting. In the eyes of the law, the lane-splitting motorcyclist does not have lane possession.

And to the post regarding not liking 'good' California laws, there is NO LAW that states that lane-splitting in California is legal. In essence, the 'law' just looks the other way on lane-splitting... that is until there is contact, and then the lane-splitter loses.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 09-25-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2014 | 09:38 PM
fallingdown
Cruiser

Should be legal everywhere. Not into it or not a good enough rider? Feel free to sit in traffic.

Old 09-26-2014 | 08:18 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by fallingdown
Should be legal everywhere. Not into it or not a good enough rider? Feel free to sit in traffic.
Being a good enough rider has nothing to do with it. Safety and respect for other peoples property is.

I don't care if someone wants to take their lives for granted, that's up to them. I personally won't do it just as I wouldn't ride side by side - my life means more to me.

Old 09-26-2014 | 09:49 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Being a good enough rider has nothing to do with it. Safety and respect for other peoples property is.

I don't care if someone wants to take their lives for granted, that's up to them. I personally won't do it just as I wouldn't ride side by side - my life means more to me.
Of course you could not you own a trike. I saw a guy on a trike brainfart and start to try splitting one day, luckily he stopped in time

Glad I was able to laugh about it with him as we looked at each other and, once the shock was off, cracked up

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?