General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014 | 01:10 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Please provide the CVC section that says sharing is not legal. When you can't find it, you can consult the CHP and they will also tell you sharing is legal.
Please find the CVC section that says it is!!!

The legality of something is not left up to the police. You break a law or you don't. CHP will tell you that splitting is tolerated, and up to an officer whether or not he/she accepts the way you did it. If not, you'll be cited for one of a few possible violations. If they accept it, then no problem.
If there is not space, the cager cannot share the lane. If there is, he can. If I am riding like an idiot and provide him with a reason to do so, that is my own fault.

That's my tune - you have no idea what you are talking about, or what I would or wouldn't think in a particular situation. Since I know the rules, I have to take into account how they apply to everyone, not just myself. That's called being part of a society.
How is riding in the center of your lane, by definition leaving room for a car to move over and ride partially in your lane beside you, riding like an idiot? Maybe if you don't get out of his way, but don't tell me tell me that you don't suddenly notice an encroachment into YOUR lane!

Old 09-24-2014 | 01:16 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Hey, mmmman-echo, you haven't given up yet ?

If you want to be credible, stick to uour intended level of details. You split hairs about whether something is illegal or not, and then declare a driver OWNS THE LANE ?

If that's the case, the bike rider owns the lane, too. Joint ownership.

Keep repeating yourself. I only started tomread this post because I didn't realize it was from you. I'll have to pay more attention so I don't keep reading the same post over and over and over.

Just you keep repeating the same faulty logic doesn't make it less faulty. Quit trying. Although you can't lose much more credibility.....
And yet you don't define the fault, just say it's faulty. I think you mean that you disagree with me, but can't prove me wrong.

I split nothing. There's legal, illegal, and when it comes to privileges, judgments made by enforcement officers.

I think that you and others don't understand the difference between rights and privileges.

I can prove myself right with this suggestion: As noted, if there are no other cars around you, drive your car with your vehicle straddling two lanes, and do it in front of a LEO. Then come back and tell me my reasoning is faulty. The lines are not a suggestion.

While your car is in a traffic lane, the lane for the length of the car is YOURS. Ask a cop. Jeez, some of you are dense.

Last edited by mmancuso; 09-24-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 01:24 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Found this from Google:

More than three-quarters of drivers interviewed for a 2012 study conducted by the California Office for Traffic Safety said they thought lane-splitting was unsafe. Almost half thought it was illegal. Two-thirds said they disapproved, and 7% admitted they had swerved to block a motorcycle trying to lane-split.

That's why it will never be legal up here - with those types of numbers it will never pass the State house.

Looks like Cali riders have an image issue.
This is really irrelevant. They are not motorcyclists. They only understand and know "safe" from an enclosed, seat-belted way. You could ask them about riding a motorcycle in LA traffic, not even bringing up lane-splitting, and you would probably get the same results.

As for those who admitted to making an attempt at blocking, hopefully they felt some amount of shame for putting someone's life in danger as they were admitting to it. Probably not. But, I do not want anyone passing laws telling me what I can and can not do, simply based on the idea that others will be ignorant and vindictive. I still can't believe fellow riders on here are using that as an argument to not legalize lane-splitting. And I really can not believe that others are not agreeing with me.

Old 09-24-2014 | 01:30 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
And yet you don't define the fault, just say it's faulty. I think you mean that you disagree with me, but can't prove me wrong.

I split nothing. There's legal, illegal, and when it comes to privileges, judgments made by enforcement officers.

I think that you and others don't understand the difference between rights and privileges.

I can prove myself right with this suggestion: As noted, if there are no other cars around you, drive your car with your vehicle straddling two lanes, and do it in front of a LEO. Then come back and tell me my reasoning is faulty. The lines are not a suggestion.

While your car is in a traffic lane, the lane for the length of the car is YOURS. Ask a cop. Jeez, some of you are dense.

You need to take a couple of dozen Midol's....and maybe a blood pressure pill.

Learning to multi quote wouldn't hurt either.

Old 09-24-2014 | 01:48 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
You need to take a couple of dozen Midol's....and maybe a blood pressure pill.

Learning to multi quote wouldn't hurt either.
I don't need them, but guessing you do since you never have anything substantive to say, but just insult.

Maybe this will help some of you.

All states have regulations about proper and improper passing, proper and improper lane changing, including CA.

Now in CA, if a LEO doesn't like the way you split, do you get cited for improper lane splitting? No! You're going to get cited for improper lane changing or improper passing, or in some cases, reckless driving.

In other words, by splitting lanes, you are technically violating regulations that ARE on the books, but they'll let it go as a matter of policy if you do it safely. Technically it IS illegal, but it will be tolerated.

Last edited by mmancuso; 09-24-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 01:54 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't need them, but guessing you do since you never have anything substantive to say, but just insult.

Maybe this will help some of you.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.

Fixed....

Old 09-24-2014 | 01:57 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

If you were riding down the middle of your lane, and a cage was driving along in a lane on either side with one side of his vehicle in your lane, right beside you, you'd sing a very different tune about lane ownership because you would sure as hell feel that he was driving in YOUR lane.
When splitting lanes, you're both established in a lane. In your scenario, you're established in your lane, but the other driver is not. They are taking up 2 different lanes. That can be considered impeding the flow of traffic or even reckless driving, at the very least cause a LEO to become highly suspicious of the car.

Splitting lanes is different than your scenario because the car is established in a lane with room for you to momentarily share that lane. If you were just riding beside the car, yes, I can see that being an issue with law enforcement. However, if you're splitting lanes, you temporarily occupy a piece of the lane where you fit and exit soon for a spot ahead. While doing this, traffic is flowing at a slow speed and you are moving SLIGHTLY faster.

Last edited by m6zero; 09-24-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 02:01 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by m6zero
When splitting lanes, you're both established in a lane. In your scenario, you're established in your lane, but the other driver is not. They are taking up 2 different lanes. That can be considered impeding the flow of traffic or even reckless driving, at the very least cause a LEO to become highly suspicious of the car.

Splitting lanes is different than your scenario because the car is established in a lane with room for you to momentarily share that lane. If you were just riding beside the car, yes, I can see that being an issue with law enforcement. However, if you're splitting lanes, you temporarily occupy a piece of the lane where you fit and quickly exit for a spot ahead. While doing this, traffic is flowing at a slow speed and you are moving SLIGHTLY faster.

All of the facts in the world could be presented to him and he will still just repeat his BS over and over.....Save your breath, You'll never convince him.

Old 09-24-2014 | 02:15 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

There ARE regulations in California about proper lane changing, proper passing, all of which splitting could be interpreted as violating, and will see it that way if they don't like how you did it. They tolerate it.
You'll never get it will you. I'll try one more time although I really don't know why.

If you speed while splitting you get a ticket for speeding. If you go 100mph or wheelie while splitting you'll get a ticket for reckless driving. If you make an unsafe lane change while splitting, you'll get a ticket for unsafe lane change. If you're drunk while splitting you'll be arrested for DUI. If you pass on a double yellow while splitting you'll get a ticket for unsafe passing.

Now pay attention real close because we don't want you to miss this:

IF YOU DO ANY OF THOSE THINGS WHILE NOT SPLITTING YOU'LL GET THE SAME TICKET.

Old 09-24-2014 | 02:33 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Good for you.

Your reply said nothing about the notion of lane ownership, which another refuted and was what I was addressing.
You keep mentioning Lane ownership can you produce a title or deed to the lanes you own

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?