General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:39 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hogpro
It seems that people who have no knowledge on the subject think it's a bad idea and those who do it regularly (myself included) think it is a good idea. The gene pool will sort itself out regardless.

It is my belief that if you ride on a regular basis you are going to get in a wreck eventually regardless of lane splitting, local laws or anything else related whether it be wearing a helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. That has been my experience.

Some wrecks were my fault for riding beyond my ability, some were other vehicles faults due to them not seeing me. None of these accidents has occurred while splitting lanes which I do on a daily basis. I have hit mirrors (and broken them on occasion) although it has been many years since I have done that now. Older and wider as they say.

Anyone who thinks lane splitting is dangerous probably should not be a riding a motorcycle as riding without splitting is more dangerous in my opinion than splitting. You are more likely to get rear ended sitting in traffic than hit while splitting. The speed at which you split plays a big role in the changes of an issue and i know I have slowed my splitting speed quite a bit as the bigger the bike, the more space is needed between cars.

Wait your turn like everyone else (while they text and email to oblivion)? Not a chance. I ride my bike knowing that I will get where I am going quicker since I can split lanes. It would regularly take me an extra 45 minutes to get home from work if I drove my car. Plus I get better mileage on my bike and I am riding my bike which I bought to ride.

So, do what you like and I will do what I like. but if you are already riding a motorcycle deluding yourself into thinking that lane splitting is dangerous is a ridiculous argument. I'd say drinking a few beers and riding is more dangerous than lane splitting sober.

The reality is that lane splitting is safer than not lane splitting. 20 years of riding, plenty of wrecks, splitting daily and no wrecks as a result of splitting. I have had close calls with serious pucker factor, but live and learn.

its illegal here in Fl but I have been known to lane split anyway.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:40 PM
ngshop
Road Master

Dan Conner quote:
absolutely not, wait your turn in line like everyone else. you have done nothing to deserve special privileges. now if the state wanted to charge $1,000 a year to split lanes, and you went thru a special class and had a decal on your bike to show that you were paying for the privilege...that should be fine with the majority of the motoring public. then it would be more like a toll road--where you pay to drive on less crowded roadways and get to your destination quicker.

As much as I despise Dan Conner's post and thoughts... see above. I have to agree with his thoughts on lane splitting. Lane splitting does and will increase death and injuries for motorcycle riders. However I do not agree with his "special Privileges".

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:49 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ngshop
... I have to agree with his thoughts on lane splitting. Lane splitting does and will increase death and injuries for motorcycle riders. However I do not agree with his "special Privileges".
Prove it.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:51 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Makes my 45min commute turn into a 15-20 min commute. What's even better is that cars over here move over for me. They should make it legal everywhere and start a campaign on looking out for motorcycles.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:54 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by ngshop
. Lane splitting does and will increase death and injuries for motorcycle riders. However I do not agree with his "special Privileges".
Uhh, lane-splitting REDUCES the chance of injury and also results in less severe injuries.

NOT lane-splitting TRIPLES your chance of getting rear-ended which will result in more severe injuries.

So, please, explain your logic. Studies show you're wrong.

Amazing how reducing the chances of getting hit will incease death and injuries.

My experience: I've BEEN rear-ended and had a severe concussion. A friend has been rear-ended in a non-lane-splitting state and had a car run over both of his legs.

I know NOBODY who's been hit lane-splitting.

You couldn't be MORE wrong. Guess again.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:54 PM
Superrust
Tourer

I had never filtered until a trip I recently took down to Cali. I was a bit unsure of how it would go but once I committed to lane splitting during rush hour it seemed like the cars just created a path and new the drill. It was great to not have to sit for however long it took to get through traffic. Within minutes I was able to get to the exit I needed and was on my way. I didn't feel the need to move ahead at lights when traffic felt normal, most likely because I just wasn't used to doing it.

I'm all for allowing lane splitting, I just know it would take time before people understood it and just went with the flow.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:55 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hogpro
It seems that people who have no knowledge on the subject think it's a bad idea and those who do it regularly (myself included) think it is a good idea. The gene pool will sort itself out regardless.

It is my belief that if you ride on a regular basis you are going to get in a wreck eventually regardless of lane splitting, local laws or anything else related whether it be wearing a helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. That has been my experience.

Some wrecks were my fault for riding beyond my ability, some were other vehicles faults due to them not seeing me. None of these accidents has occurred while splitting lanes which I do on a daily basis. I have hit mirrors (and broken them on occasion) although it has been many years since I have done that now. Older and wider as they say.

Anyone who thinks lane splitting is dangerous probably should not be a riding a motorcycle as riding without splitting is more dangerous in my opinion than splitting. You are more likely to get rear ended sitting in traffic than hit while splitting. The speed at which you split plays a big role in the changes of an issue and i know I have slowed my splitting speed quite a bit as the bigger the bike, the more space is needed between cars.

Wait your turn like everyone else (while they text and email to oblivion)? Not a chance. I ride my bike knowing that I will get where I am going quicker since I can split lanes. It would regularly take me an extra 45 minutes to get home from work if I drove my car. Plus I get better mileage on my bike and I am riding my bike which I bought to ride.

So, do what you like and I will do what I like. but if you are already riding a motorcycle deluding yourself into thinking that lane splitting is dangerous is a ridiculous argument. I'd say drinking a few beers and riding is more
dangerous than lane splitting sober.

The reality is that lane splitting is safer than not lane splitting. 20 years of riding, plenty of wrecks, splitting daily and no wrecks as a result of splitting. I have had close calls with serious pucker factor, but live and learn.
Ditto.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:58 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Thanks for reinforcing my point about the lane splitter mentality...

Are you freaking serious??

Now I'm thinking this newb is just trolling (intentionally or not).
Hey ABSG. I am not going to make any assumptions about your mentality. That would be immature, to say the least. Why? Simply because I know nothing about you...and you know nothing about me. What I can tell you about me, if you care, is that I am extremely easy going. I am also very sarcastic. I love to laugh and I love to debate things with people. I try and debate with humor so that it doesn't get argumentative. The problem with forums is that no one really knows who they are communicating with (usually), which means that readers seldom pick up on humor or sarcasm. Unless it's already a positive post or reply. The other problem, during a "debate" on forums is that readers usually read a post or a reply and assume the inflection or the emotional state of the OP. So, I am sorry my reply offended you.
You are correct though. I am a "newb" (always hated that word) on this forum. And if you feel better using it to address me, then knock yourself out.

I am just curious though: have you ever lane-split before? And I am being serious, not argumentative. PEACE!

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:59 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior

I understand the temptation to split lanes (don't call it "sharing" because "sharing" implies a certain mutual consent) but there's a reason it's illegal in 49 of our states. Legal in California.....who takes California seriously?????? C'mon folks, riding on two wheels has enough safety issues without tempting fate by sneaking up on dingbats in cars doing God knows what and not paying the least bit of attention to what's going on around them. Case in point: just the last Friday my wife and I are stopped on a six lane local road and I look beside me and this dingbat is actually plucking hairs from her chin. About 100 yards down the road she's texting and starts drifting into my lane. I laid on the horn for a good five seconds before she picked her head up and realized she had drifted about half way into my lane and snaps the wheel to get back into her lane. So what happened to the biker "sharing" the lane on the other side of her?????????????????? If you're in that big of a hurry, leave earlier!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:59 PM
spelk3
Club Member

Yes, it should be allowed everywhere. Done with caution and respect for other vehicles on the road.

I even had a CHP tell me to do it when I was stuck in a traffic jam after GP race at Laguna Seca. Ended up with about 100 bikes following behind me.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?