General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014 | 10:40 AM
slozomby
Road Master

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Sharing is not legal, and the driver does own the lane. Splitting is tolerated.
anything not directly prohibited by law is legal. the law can not make an action legal it can only make an action illegal.

but here is the chp's official statement:

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

every other state has a law that explicitly prohibits lane splitting.

Last edited by slozomby; 09-24-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 10:45 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
...I see tons of motorcycle commuters splitting lanes and their only motovation is to get ahead of the next guy and shave off a few minutes in getting home. Double-standard and hypocritical...
Purely scientific guesswork, or did you pass out questionaires and surveys ? Thought so.

You obviously have labeled your whole post as hypothetical conjecture on your part. Purely your opinoion expressed as how you'd like your world to be.

Unless you'd like to post your survey results on their "motovation".

Old 09-24-2014 | 10:46 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Now every time I lane split I think about this thread.
It's like a sick song I can't get out of my head.

Last edited by JustDave13; 09-24-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 10:53 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

If you were riding down the middle of your lane, and a cage was driving along in a lane on either side with one side of his vehicle in your lane, right beside you, you'd sing a very different tune about lane ownership because you would sure as hell feel that he was driving in YOUR lane. You'd sure as **** be kicking and cussing at him to get back into HIS lane!
Please provide the CVC section that says sharing is not legal. When you can't find it, you can consult the CHP and they will also tell you sharing is legal.

If there is not space, the cager cannot share the lane. If there is, he can. If I am riding like an idiot and provide him with a reason to do so, that is my own fault.

That's my tune - you have no idea what you are talking about, or what I would or wouldn't think in a particular situation. Since I know the rules, I have to take into account how they apply to everyone, not just myself. That's called being part of a society.

Last edited by chrisj49; 09-24-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 10:53 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

Hey, mmmman-echo, you haven't given up yet ?

If you want to be credible, stick to uour intended level of details. You split hairs about whether something is illegal or not, and then declare a driver OWNS THE LANE ?

If that's the case, the bike rider owns the lane, too. Joint ownership.

Keep repeating yourself. I only started tomread this post because I didn't realize it was from you. I'll have to pay more attention so I don't keep reading the same post over and over and over.

Just you keep repeating the same faulty logic doesn't make it less faulty. Quit trying. Although you can't lose much more credibility.....

Last edited by edilgdaor; 09-24-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 10:59 AM
m6zero
Cruiser

The amount of opinions presented as facts in this thread is quite amusing. The amount of arguments based on those opinions is even more amusing. In California, where I'm pretty confident a good majority of the biker population resides, we are allowed to split lanes. It is up to a LEO to determine whether that split was done in a safe manner or not. Most of the cars will move out of your way, or if they believe you have enough room, will stay the course. Very, VERY, few cars will try to block you.

If I'm on the freeway, I usually ride close to the edge of the lane because it gives me more options for escape. Have I had cars move into the lane right next to me? Yes. Did I get mad? Nope. That's part of the agreement. If, by chance, I'm in the middle of the lane and the car moves in, that's a different story because my position in the lane is where his car will be when he finishes his maneuver, indicating to me he never saw me.

With the amount of bikes there are in California alone, putting those bikes into the traffic pattern with everyone else is only going to congest the freeways more than they are. Traffic is an issue out here...there are tons of bikes out here...it makes sense to ease traffic congestion by allowing bikes to split lanes. Then, there's the statistics about rear end collisions to consider.

However, at the end of the day, there's no law forcing you to split lanes, nor is there a law prohibiting you from splitting lanes. It's your choice and you have to weigh the risks and benefits.

Old 09-24-2014 | 12:50 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

In Illinois and Iowa and there is no law that addresses helmets for anyone. The law doesn't say that it's legal to ride without a helmet. Like CA and lane splitting,iIt doesn't say anything.

Therefore, according to your logic (or lack thereof) in Illinois and Iowa, it is not specifically legal to ride without a helmet, it's just tolerated.

Old 09-24-2014 | 12:53 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dribble
In Illinois and Iowa and there is no law that addresses helmets for anyone. The law doesn't say that it's legal to ride without a helmet. Like CA and lane splitting,iIt doesn't say anything.

Therefore, according to your logic (or lack thereof) in Illinois and Iowa, it is not specifically legal to ride without a helmet, it's just tolerated.

There ARE regulations in California about proper lane changing, proper passing, all of which splitting could be interpreted as violating, and will see it that way if they don't like how you did it. They tolerate it.

Last edited by mmancuso; 09-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2014 | 12:57 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jcapps
If we are in stopped traffic and he wants to share my lane that's fine that's part of the deal. I find a large percentage of people are much more mature than the motorcycle riders on the forum. And they tend to move over for me
Just last night I had a go to LAX to pick up someone. Had to take my car in bumper-to-bumper stopped traffic averaging about 15 miles an hour. Every time I saw someone on a bike I would move in my lane give them more room

I didn't get upset I didn't get pissed off admittedly I got a little jealous wishing I had been able to bring my bike and do the same

I guess that's maturity
Good for you.

Your reply said nothing about the notion of lane ownership, which another refuted and was what I was addressing.

Old 09-24-2014 | 01:00 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slozomby
anything not directly prohibited by law is legal. the law can not make an action legal it can only make an action illegal.
When it comes to rights, not privileges. Privileges are spelled out, what you may and may not do.
but here is the chp's official statement:

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

every other state has a law that explicitly prohibits lane splitting.

Yes, I know: Does not allow (not legal) or prohibit (not illegal). It is tolerated.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?