General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014 | 05:38 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Dont try splitting lanes going over 30 mph in front of a cop, you will aggrevate him. Few years ago we rode to Canada and we asked a mountie if we could split lanes and he said hell no you will get tagged, ride the shoulders instead. Like I really want to get a flat tire from riding on the shoulder.

Old 09-23-2014 | 06:27 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

"In a world where nobody is paying attention to driving, too busy putting on make-up/reading the paper/texting/eating/etc..., why would you put yourself at risk? "

Actually I am taking risk away. I would rather be sideswiped at 25 mph than rear ended at 25 mph

Old 09-23-2014 | 06:38 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcapps
"In a world where nobody is paying attention to driving, too busy putting on make-up/reading the paper/texting/eating/etc..., why would you put yourself at risk? "

Actually I am taking risk away. I would rather be sideswiped at 25 mph than rear ended at 25 mph
Rule #1 ride like youre invisable and no one sees you thats why you have to be 2 moves ahead of the peoe around you. If you cant comprehend that philosophy its a matter of time before you become a stastic. It may have already been said here somewhere in these 24 pages but it cant be repeated enough.

Old 09-23-2014 | 06:41 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro
The misconception is that there is a law that states you can lane split here. There is no such law. there is not a law that states that it is illegal to lane split. The CHP had posted guidelines but recently took them down. I guess since there is no law having guidelines could be seen a a problem.

I have been splitting for close to 20 years and have never had an accident as a result. As far as I am concerned people who have never split or do not doe so on a regular basis have no idea about it. I laugh when people tell me how dangerous it is. I have had numerous motorcycle accidents over the years. Some were my fault, some were others fault. None were ever a result of splitting. I split lanes daily in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Daily.

I used to work for a delivery service riding a motorcycle. Did that for about 10 years so I spent all day on the congested freeways on a bike splitting lanes. I used to ride much faster when i was in my 20's and 30's. It seems like you'll live forever at that age. Now taht I am in my 40's and still alive I tend to split lanes quite a bit slower than I used to. Riding a bagger really requires more space and focus than a softail or Dyna.

I recently had a conversation with my wife about this subject and she thinks splitting is more dangerous than not splitting. She rides (on rare occasion) but knocked off a mirror splitting many years ago and has not split since. I have taken off more than my fair share of mirrors in my day but it has been a long time since I rode with such recklessness.

I will state for the record again that of all the wrecks I have had (at least 10) none have ever been the result of splitting lanes. Thus I see it as a safer alternative if done in a relatively safe manner. There will always be plenty of people whom have to ride 50 mph splitting while cars are not moving. That is not me and will not be.

It takes some getting used to but once splitting is done on a regular basis it is like riding a bike.
You obviously don't realize that this kind of logic and common sense based on your decades of experience with the subject has no place on this forum full of naysayers and keyboard experts.

Old 09-23-2014 | 07:29 PM
Matt_laidlaw
Intermediate

I don't know if this has already been said and I don't feel like reading all the previous posts.

Just a little history though, lane splitting originated from the need for motor officers to keep moving their air cooled bikes through traffic. Back in the day air cooled bikes really had problems when they got too hot. They weren't as resilient are the air cooled bikes nowadays.

Personally I Live in CA and split lanes all the time in the heavy LA traffic.

Until I read this forum I never thought there were actually people against lane splitting. I have never heard a fellow CA rider ever say they were against it. In fact, in the several posts from people against lane splitting that I did read on here they were from riders that didn't even live in CA.

Is it risky? Yes, but I believe people should be able to make their own choices in regards to what risks they are comfortable taking in life. Just riding a motorcycle in general is more risky than driving in a car. Should we not be able to ride motorcycles at all?

I think if us riders are willing to take the "road less traveled" and help reduce traffic and take the inherent risks of riding and lane sharing then we deserve the right to do it.

Old 09-23-2014 | 07:41 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geoff
Since riding has inherent risk, why double down with the additional risk in lane splitting?
Because its SO risky going 25 mph between cars that are stopped or creeping along.

Old 09-23-2014 | 07:53 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Because its SO risky going 25 mph between cars that are stopped or creeping along.
25 mph on a motorcycle ?

Who can ride a motorcycle THAT fast ? That sounds REALLY dangerous.

Old 09-23-2014 | 07:59 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior

I really cannot understand how someone is so illogical to be against filtering. Even if you don't do it, for whatever reason, it is a benefit to you in rush hour traffic. As everyone that is sharing is one less car you are sitting behind. If only 5 percent of all motorists ride motorcycles and filter that is less time you spend sitting in traffic. It doesn't b adversely affect you b in anyway and can only help. WeIrd stuff.

Old 09-23-2014 | 08:13 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

Make it legal everywhere, bicycles do it and we should to.
No body gets angry at a guy on a pedal bike that splits lanes...should be that way for us.
It's discriminatory man.

Old 09-23-2014 | 09:23 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

Wow I can't believe all the negative responses.I thought everybody just did it anyway whether it was legal or not.I'm not yet comfortable splitting on my Limited it's just too damn fat but I used to do it all the time on my Dyna and my Suzuki.I have found that rather than splitting lanes it's quite easy to get on the medium or shoulder and make some time there.I don't even think thats legal in CA.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?