General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014 | 01:20 PM
silent1
Road Warrior

She does talk a lot, huh?

Old 09-23-2014 | 01:26 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frostbite

Looks like Cali riders have an image issue.
Yes that's so true....

It is from the people who do things to the extreme when they ride:

While there are several behaviors some of us bikers choose to do that just irritates the general public, I think reckless lane splitting is the one that most non-riders experience on almost a daily basis.

Just the other day, on my bike doing 70 MPH in a 65 MPH zone in the #2 lane, and just hanging with traffic flow. There was a large volume of traffic, but all moving nicely.

Suddenly a "biker" goes by me at probably 85MPH minimum and he is "splitting" traffic to get around the cars in his way that are only going 70MPH. if someone was thinking of making a lane change, they would never have had the opportunity to see him coming, let alone avoid him...

Of course, then he'd get on a forum from his hospital bed, if he survived, and complain how a cage pulled in front of him.

The guy pi$$ed me off, I can only imagine what the cages thought...

Like I said, sometimes we are our own worst enemies...

Old 09-23-2014 | 01:44 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Found this from Google:

More than three-quarters of drivers interviewed for a 2012 study conducted by the California Office for Traffic Safety said they thought lane-splitting was unsafe. Almost half thought it was illegal. Two-thirds said they disapproved, and 7% admitted they had swerved to block a motorcycle trying to lane-split.

That's why it will never be legal up here - with those types of numbers it will never pass the State house.

Looks like Cali riders have an image issue.
Ummmm, why would you even need it up there? There's hardly any traffic in ND. I don't think Cali riders have an image issue, they do it because they can do it, don't know what the problem is? I've done it out there & thought it was fun actually. To each their own.

Old 09-23-2014 | 01:49 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

The misconception is that there is a law that states you can lane split here. There is no such law. there is not a law that states that it is illegal to lane split. The CHP had posted guidelines but recently took them down. I guess since there is no law having guidelines could be seen a a problem.

I have been splitting for close to 20 years and have never had an accident as a result. As far as I am concerned people who have never split or do not doe so on a regular basis have no idea about it. I laugh when people tell me how dangerous it is. I have had numerous motorcycle accidents over the years. Some were my fault, some were others fault. None were ever a result of splitting. I split lanes daily in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles. Daily.

I used to work for a delivery service riding a motorcycle. Did that for about 10 years so I spent all day on the congested freeways on a bike splitting lanes. I used to ride much faster when i was in my 20's and 30's. It seems like you'll live forever at that age. Now taht I am in my 40's and still alive I tend to split lanes quite a bit slower than I used to. Riding a bagger really requires more space and focus than a softail or Dyna.

I recently had a conversation with my wife about this subject and she thinks splitting is more dangerous than not splitting. She rides (on rare occasion) but knocked off a mirror splitting many years ago and has not split since. I have taken off more than my fair share of mirrors in my day but it has been a long time since I rode with such recklessness.

I will state for the record again that of all the wrecks I have had (at least 10) none have ever been the result of splitting lanes. Thus I see it as a safer alternative if done in a relatively safe manner. There will always be plenty of people whom have to ride 50 mph splitting while cars are not moving. That is not me and will not be.

It takes some getting used to but once splitting is done on a regular basis it is like riding a bike.

Old 09-23-2014 | 02:06 PM
proraptor
Tourer

Originally Posted by Redsauce
Honestly, I am still blown away by some of the nay-sayers and their reasonings, or arguments, as to why lane-splitting shouldn't be legal. You can't pass laws and shape a society based simply on the few people who may choose to be vindictive to the public and said law. You just can't. We wouldn't be allowed to do anything.

I am 100% positive that if the ones, in this thread, came to California, rented a bike and rode around and tried lane-splitting, there would be a dramatic change in opinions. Would every one choose to do it then? No. Because, not everyone in Cali chooses to lane-split.

You guys would observe a riding experience where people DO, in fact, open up the lanes for you to pass by. Contrary to what most nay-sayers have said, we, or I, do not EXPECT any one to do so. But, they know we are allowed to split. So, when they give me room, I give them a thumbs up, a wave or a verbal "thank you" if their window is down.

I firmly believe you need to experience it first hand to have a reasonable opinion. It is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. People don't open their doors on us because we are splitting lanes. I have, however, had the miserable driver close the lane on me a few times. I simply slowed down until I had the room to go around them. That's it. No one is stupid because we lane split. No one is stupid because you don't.

Trust me, you guys would change your minds if you got the chance to do it. I say this because I was just like you when I first moved to SoCal and saw lane-spliting first hand. Now that I am riding again, and participating in lane-splitting, I am a changed man! PEACE!
I agree 100% with this post

Old 09-23-2014 | 02:29 PM
winstoncup
Intermediate

In a world where nobody is paying attention to driving, too busy putting on make-up/reading the paper/texting/eating/etc..., why would you put yourself at risk?

I know I wouldn't and I've had people lane-split when I was driving a car as well as my bike and even when you are paying attention the splitter tends to be going faster than you enough that you can miss them in a mirror check...

Everyone rides the way they want to, not saying don't do that, but it's a risky proposition these days... be safe!

Old 09-23-2014 | 02:41 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by highwayman1224
Ummmm, why would you even need it up there? There's hardly any traffic in ND. I don't think Cali riders have an image issue, they do it because they can do it, don't know what the problem is? I've done it out there & thought it was fun actually. To each their own.
Threw that out there for those who think it should be legal in all 50 states. Lot of states that don't need it, so '50 states' just ain't happening.

Image problem? Pissing off 2/3rd of the people isn't an image problem?

Old 09-23-2014 | 04:34 PM
NELS
Road Master

Going west on 84 a jap bike passes me at about 70 on the rear wheel. I don't think he worries about splitting lanes.

Old 09-23-2014 | 05:18 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
He's right though. It is literally the same logic.
Since riding has inherent risk, why double down with the additional risk in lane splitting?

Old 09-23-2014 | 05:24 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geoff
Since riding has inherent risk, why double down with the additional risk in lane splitting?
Maybe because it's none of your business what risks I choose to take?

How would you feel if some non-rider told you riding was too dangerous to be legal? I certainly hope you would feel the same way.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?