General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014 | 11:23 PM
vzts4q
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
I think many refrain from doing it because of the invention of cell phones. Nobody in a car pays attention anymore. The risk just isn't worth it. In Colorado, its not technically illegal by law, but an officer at his discretion can write you for reckless driving. If I need to get out of a traffic jam when its hot, I run the shoulder at very low speed to avoid a ticket.
Maybe you should check on that! The AMA has the rules for all 50 states here is what they have to say about Colorado.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...aspx?stateid=6

Old 09-22-2014 | 11:36 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master

I get so tired of the lane splitting posts. Come out to CA, learn to ride, share some lanes for a few months, then you can make some comments about lane sharing. If I wanted to sit in traffic for hours, I could be in the cage with a cup holder, tunes, and AC!

I don't run around the forums professing how unsafe it is to ride without a helmet. I don't care, helmet, no helmet, your choice in those states.

Ride your ride, let me ride my ride, and stop hating on CA! Hate on CA for high speed trains, politics, taxes, but, leave me and my lane sharing out of the discussion!

Last edited by Rick's Ultra; 09-22-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2014 | 11:39 PM
vzts4q
Road Master

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
On another thread I looked at the link for; http://www.bikerplaza.com/motorcycle-law.html. I noticed there are many states that have the same "non-law" on lane splitting as California, "Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes". The list I made is: Arkansas, California, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virgina. If it is true there is no law against it, Why don't you guy do it???
Well the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) has a list that differs quit a bit from on the majority of the states you mention.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...tate-Laws.aspx

Having said that I might consider it if I were in California where people are use to it. Any where else, NO.
Now you want to see crazy.
The motorcycle couriers in London were just unbelievable.

Old 09-22-2014 | 11:46 PM
roost812
Tourer

Here In Ca its legal to split the lane only by ten mph above the stop and go traffic. I very rarely split the lane, but if traffic is moving about twenty mph or even slower I stay in my lane. If traffic it dead stop, I am splitting. My steed is air cooled I want to get air going across the motor. Besides when I'm riding I am never in a hurry I enjoy riding my steed in any gear, Hell, my favorite gear is 4th doing 50 mph..

Old 09-22-2014 | 11:47 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

If you want people to respect your lane, respect theirs. I have had people do that when I was in a cage, don't care for it. When I was in Iowa a few years back, had a guy pull up between myself & a guy in a pick up, rolled down my window to let him know that that is not a safe, he told me to shut up( I'm being polite here). He said if I got out of my car, he would kick my a$$. I replied really, are you that stupid, he said he had a higher IQ than all of us inthe car. Hemight have been safe sayingthat about me, I am far from the smartest person, but farther than the stupid people. I just turned my wheels toward him and creeped forward. The idiot didn't noticed untill the light turned green, when he started to take off he noticed. I just replied to him what, I'm in my lane. I hope I got my point across, there are a lot of people out there that open their doors when they see a bike coming down inbetween vehicles or will hug the line. I am not a small guy (5' 11" 250#) and have been hit by some guys that were tough, they were surprized that I didn't drop and told them they were going to **** me off. This guy was maybe 175# & had shorts & flip flops on (& he thinks he's smart). Plus I was in arental vehicle that I paid the extra insurance on. If I needed or was going to get out, I would have slammed the door into his bike & beat his, still pisses me off about his response. I remember watching a video on FB a guy on a hanger tried going in between a couple of vehicles & got nervious & steered right into a pick up. The pick up ran over his ride before he go stopped, the guy was ok, but his bike was not. Ride safe & smart

Toby

Old 09-23-2014 | 12:05 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain

This is commercial plays all the time here in Sacramento.
http://www.ca-msp.org/Videos.aspx

Old 09-23-2014 | 01:41 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog95023
Lane sharing is a great privilege I hope we don't lose.
+1

i split 1000's of cars everyday to work. it saves me 40 mins on the commute. never worry about getting hit from behind or overheating. cars move out of the way and give you room too.

its a privilege that i enjoy everyday. sure cars move over on you and then you move your motorcycle. when its dead stop traffic really the only thing i worry about is those trucks with the extended mirrors. those are more likely to smash me that a car making a sharp right hander from one lane to the next

Old 09-23-2014 | 08:10 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by twistedcherokee
If you want people to respect your lane, respect theirs. I have had people do that when I was in a cage, don't care for it. When I was in Iowa a few years back, had a guy pull up between myself & a guy in a pick up, rolled down my window to let him know that that is not a safe, he told me to shut up( I'm being polite here). He said if I got out of my car, he would kick my a$$. I replied really, are you that stupid, he said he had a higher IQ than all of us inthe car. Hemight have been safe sayingthat about me, I am far from the smartest person, but farther than the stupid people. I just turned my wheels toward him and creeped forward. The idiot didn't noticed untill the light turned green, when he started to take off he noticed. I just replied to him what, I'm in my lane. I hope I got my point across, there are a lot of people out there that open their doors when they see a bike coming down inbetween vehicles or will hug the line. I am not a small guy (5' 11" 250#) and have been hit by some guys that were tough, they were surprized that I didn't drop and told them they were going to **** me off. This guy was maybe 175# & had shorts & flip flops on (& he thinks he's smart). Plus I was in arental vehicle that I paid the extra insurance on. If I needed or was going to get out, I would have slammed the door into his bike & beat his, still pisses me off about his response. I remember watching a video on FB a guy on a hanger tried going in between a couple of vehicles & got nervious & steered right into a pick up. The pick up ran over his ride before he go stopped, the guy was ok, but his bike was not. Ride safe & smart

Toby

Sound like you are the perfect candidate to start road rage.. You get pissed about his response to you. The little man syndrome you have is EPIC . Maybe he did not like your response. Maybe you should have been a LEO and then you can tell people in traffic what to do or your opinions.
Man with that story sounds like you were being an ***, and trying to be the tough guy... Use your car as a tool... " Hope I got my point across"... wow man your fist thought was to use your car... lol tough guy.

Understand that was long time ago but man . That story makes you sound like an ***. Not the other way around.
If you would have kept your window shut and not started anything nothing would have been said to hurt your feelings. Don't be one of those little Chihuahua dogs. Bark and no bite.
I'm sure the response would be different by the sounds of it. If someone was to pull up next to you and tell you something they did not agree with in your driving. I'm sure you would be very polite and understand his opinion is more important then yours and you will do what he requested.

Ride safe & smart <<<<

Old 09-23-2014 | 08:18 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThisIsMe
You want to see lane splitting? Go to Italy. Rome specifically.
I was in Lima Peru this summer. Made Rome look downright safe by comparison.

Old 09-23-2014 | 08:27 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Well the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) has a list that differs quit a bit from on the majority of the states you mention.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...tate-Laws.aspx

Having said that I might consider it if I were in California where people are use to it. Any where else, NO.
Now you want to see crazy.
The motorcycle couriers in London were just unbelievable.
Interesting the AMA list shows only Arkansas as "Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes"? California is listed "Authorized by CHP" and Illinois and Oklahoma seem to have codes against it. All the other states originally listed, show as "not authorized" without mention of a code?? I'm sure the AMA has it right but I wonder what that means??? I know the AMA is for making it legal.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?