General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike_M
some people think that riding a motorcycle is a needless risk. Should we take that away as well?
Dumb question.

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:02 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain

because it is just plane foolish unless you have a death wish. Have you seen the way people drive lately?

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:12 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by ultraclassic53
I don't split my lines with anybody .oh wait... You said lanes.
Lol...lanes..lines...what the hell...that made me laugh aloud.

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:16 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer

You want to see lane splitting? Go to Italy. Rome specifically.

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:18 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
If it is true there is no law against it, Why don't you guy do it???

I live near Nashville, TN. It's not legal here....I do it anyway.

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:18 PM
biglipps66
Cruiser

Im seriously going to say if you could NOT share lanes here in CA, YOUR BIKE WOULD OVERHEAT. PERIOD. END OF STORY.
Im not kidding by any means what so ever, if you had to sit in the bumper to bumper traffic with an air cooled bike here it would seriously implode all over the freeway.

You can't argue my point, the law was passed for THIS purpose. If you don't like it, you don't have to live here so it doesn't matter anyway

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:19 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior

It never sounded like a smart idea, legal or not...

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:30 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

Living in 5 different states, what I have learned. Not sure if it is right or not. I did read a study done in CA that illustrates that lane splitting is actually safer for MC, it is proven our eyes pick up on moving things more than stationary. In rush hour traffic when there is little movement a MC is more visible in traffic by splitting. Also in the study MC that split lanes are less likely to get rear ended in traffic. The study talked about how we see, and the narrow width of our bikes makes our brains not see us. Cars drivers mis judge distance when coming from behind or coming straight at, the depth perception is greatly reduced and thus the speculation why so many bikes get rear ended and get turned in front of causing accidents, we literally cannot be seen, or our brains don't register we are there.

One of the riding courses I took where I learned about the study, talked about how to help with this. When stopping, don't stop behind a car in the center of the car, we are not seen, stop at an angle to make the width wider and the car coming up behind will see us. When traveling in rush hour traffic, weave the lane you are in, the back and forth movement makes you more visible to cars in opposing lanes, and to the cars behind you. Often times the car driver will think you are drunk, drugs or novice and give you extra room. On two lane roads and subdivisions, weave a little and change headlights and blinkers, all this makes you more visible to the oncoming traffic and those pulling out.

Now back to the CA study and how this relates, bikes that are in between cars removes you from the not seen car coming up from behind and judges stopping by the car in front of it since you are beside the car. Also drivers are not comfortable to another vehicle so close (violates personal space rules) and tend to be more alert when a MC is passing in between.

There are rules in CA though how lane splitting is supposed to be done. Traffic is supposed to be moving less than 30 MPH if I remember correctly, you're not supposed to be going more than 10 mph more than cars around you, and the MC is responsible for any damage caused by lane splitting.

Truthfully all states should allow this for safety reasons.

Regarding the other states. If the states don't say you can, just because there is nothing that says you can't doesn't make it legal to do so. Many times this will fall under reckless driving and will get you a ticket. Also in states that drivers are not used to it, road rage can occur.

Not sure if all my info is correct, it has been a long time since I read and saw the video about the study, and the safety of it. I wouldn't unless it was necessary to split lanes as that being a safer option than not. In AL it is written we can ride side by side, but we can't pass another MC or car using the same lane.

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:34 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geoff
Dumb question.
He's right though. It is literally the same logic.

Old 09-22-2014 | 08:34 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by 05UltraBob
But is it legal for us to run the shoulder? I also do it at times though!
I recall when taking my permit test and riding test years ago that it was ok in situations like that. If its 95 degrees and you're on an air cooled bike, you pretty much have to move or overheat. The first time I did it back in 08 when riding back from Thunder in the Rockies, I rode right past 2 State Patrol cars where the accident was. It was about a 5 mile back up. In fact the officers waved my buddy and I through the accident.

I have noticed over the years, that officers here in Colorado usually side with motorcyclists and don't really get aggressive unless you are riding like an idiot.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?