General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 05:33 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Lane splitting?!? Seriously?!?

Wouldn't it be a lot safer to stick with less controversial subjects, like how come your kids are so ugly?

Well, as long as we're on the topic...(and I grew up riding in California)

"EFF NO".

Old 09-11-2014 | 05:36 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior

Should have posted a poll on this. I believe it should be legal where the traffic has slowed below 20mph. Basically, in traffic jams. It only helps to speed the traffic by removing volume. Like anything, you take your chances doing it. Lane splitting is inherently dangerous whether legal or not.

Old 09-11-2014 | 05:43 PM
chipw
Advanced

I used to lane split when riding with my shorts and tennis shoes on but ever since i got Capt'n itches crotch cooler i can now wait in traffic with out roasting my chestnuts but i still have to wear that dang helmet though

Old 09-11-2014 | 05:43 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Lane splitting is not illegal in the state of California, but many municipalities do have ordinances against it, and you can be ticketed and fined, if pulled over by an officer of that jurisdiction.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

This old chestnut always comes up.

Now in my personal opinion I am fine with it, I like filtering at a light since most riders without trying hard will smoke the commuter cages off the line. Did it on a trip when we rented a bike sure was nice.
I think you are wrong about that. Can you name a municipality that has an ordinance against it ? I'm not aware of any.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:01 PM
John Coyle
|
HDF Editor

I guess I should probably say I'm 100% for it.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member

NOT here in IND.. the lanes are tooo freaking narrow.. that'd be a Death warrant for anyone who tried to split lanes...

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:14 PM
jpowell490
Road Master

Originally Posted by Redsauce
I have seen you say this before, and I am curious as to why this is the argument for you. People scrape cars in parking lots with carts and don't wait around to be responsible. I believe we still have shopping carts. People accidentally back into cars and don't stick around to be responsible. We are still aloud to drive. People even run into pedestrians and then flee the scene!! What is the bid deal about slapping your mirror against a car's side mirror anyway? You do realize that absolutely no damage occurs to the car's mirror, right?

And just to be clear, i am not disrespecting anyone. I just don't understand how you can have such a strong opinion on something you actually haven't done.
You shouldn't be "aloud" to post on the internet. Nice spelling there Gumby. Go back to playing your Call of Duty and screaming for your mom to bring you another root beer......

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:14 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Actually this is a subject that does turn up on the forum with some regularity.

I'm for lane splitting or filtering or whatever you want to call it. If there are guidelines set, it's safe and helps reduce congestion. I think it should be legal in all 50 states. Those that choose not to split lanes, they don't have to. Just like helmet laws, people should have a choice. I'm American and want my own choices.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:25 PM
1ngryfishrmn
Advanced

I'm amazed at how aggravated some folks are at the idea of lane sharing. Maybe some of you should trade in your Harleys and ride broomsticks instead.

Old 09-11-2014 | 06:30 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1ngryfishrmn
I'm amazed at how aggravated some folks are at the idea of lane sharing. Maybe some of you should trade in your Harleys and ride broomsticks instead.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?