General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:26 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by clovisrider
I think I've read somewhere where cars are not allowed to lane share with a bike. I believe they would be cited for straddling the lanes in your example.
Straddling the line is not sharing. Sharing is within a single lane. There are no laws about sharing, so there isn't one that says a car can't share with a bike, or a car with a car, or any other 2 vehicles.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:43 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Juggerpops
what reason would you have to open your door in this instance ? if you are in a lane of traffic that is designed to have moving cars in it and or on one or more sides (ie anywhere but the shoulder or emergency lane) unless your vehicle is not functioning you have no legitimate reason for opening your door.
You've never seen anyone open their door in stopped traffic to empty a cup? I have, many times.

The key here is traffic is stopped, not moving, as in everyone is standing still.

secondly if a moving vehicle hits the door then it obviously was not safe to open the door.
If that vehicle is moving where vehicles are not supposed to be moving, then who's fault is it? If you're stopped in the right lane, your passenger opens the door, and someone passing you on the shoulder slams into it, is that your fault for not first looking where there's not supposed to be anyone moving along?

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:52 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Question

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Scooters take up much less lane space then cages. Would it be legal for a small, or even a large, cage if it will fit to 'split' the lane between scooters riding in adjoining lanes,. or between a scooter in one lane and another cage in the next lane?

I'm just curious, so no smartazz comments please.
I've actually had this happen. No harm, no foul.

Do the naysayers on this thread realize that most EU countries allow "filtering"? A lot of studies in Europe state that it's safe and can improve traffic flow. In cities such as London with narrow lanes, minimal shoulders and massive congestion, life would be unbearable without filtering.

The congestion part certainly applies to California. Two of the top three congested areas in the country are here in the golden state. If you haven't experienced it you're only talking through your A$$.

Old 09-19-2014 | 10:06 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Stopped in your own lane of traffic, all others vehicles stopped, it is quite reasonable to open your door safely without interfering with the movement of traffic, which is standing still. It is NOT illegal.
Lets see if I can put this in a way you'll understand:

If you open your door in traffic and a motorcycle that is LEGALLY riding between traffic and hits it, it was not reasonably safe to open said door. Therefore you will be cited. The reason why it wasn't reasonably safe is because it caused an accident with another motorist who was not breaking the law.

Please, this does not require much in the way of reasoning skills to understand.

Last edited by dribble; 09-19-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2014 | 10:08 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

You guys go ahead and sit in traffic while I get home at a reasonable time.

Old 09-19-2014 | 10:08 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I've actually had this happen. No harm, no foul.
I have had it happen, also. It really shocked me because I was running about 50. The other lane was empty but for some reason this cage chose not to use it.

I would probably lane split, if the traffic here required it, but where I ride it doesn't. I'm really glad because I don't trust anybody on the road.

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-19-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2014 | 10:13 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
You know it's funny, the only time I've ever seen someone open a door in traffic was a few years ago in Oakland, CA. Some commuter was trying to stop guys from splitting lanes in slow and go traffic by moving into their way with his car. When that didn't work, he opened his door in front of a bike.
I think you're lying if you're saying that you've never seen anyone open a door in stopped traffic except to stop lane splitting.

Wasn't you was it? 'Cause honestly, you seem like the type.
You appear to have a major malfunction. Always do when someone disagrees with you, you can't refute, so you make personal character insults.
In a state where it's legal and very common for motorcycles to split lanes?
It's tolerated. Look it up. Very common? I lived in San Diego for ten years, was in stop and go traffic every day, and not once when I lived there did I ever see lane splitting.
Yes.

Even though it's a fairly common practice to dump coffee and other drinks out the window, it's not legal in many places.
We can agree there, it would be littering, though I'm not sure how enforceable a liquid poured on to the road could be enforced as a violation.
Odds are the motorcyclist will be watching for idiots that do that kind if stuff though because we are used to watching out for people doing stupid crap in traffic.
Of course, but there is always the chance of someone doing that stupid stuff within a window of time where it's too late for you to avoid the consequences. That's a possibility we all ride with.

Yes....You have said that before, we got it.

So then, Is it illegal to change lanes? Of course not.

News flash genius, the lines are there to "define" the lanes, ever been on a road without lines? I have, many times.
They kind of are a suggestion otherwise I guess they'd put up a fence.
Yes, genius, the lines define the lane that you're supposed to legally drive in except when crossing them to change lanes. Straddle them sometime when traffic allows, in front of a LEO, and find out how much of a "suggestion" they are.
It's legal to split lanes in California, your position here holds no water.
Do a little research. It's tolerated because it is not specifically against the traffic rules and regulations, and law enforcement agencies have guidelines and policies for where and when to tolerate it.
I have told you to do that, but you insist on falling further and further behind.

It's hard to visualize what the world must look like from your perspective....
I am absolutely right and have stated nothing but facts here.

You, on the other hand....
You've yet to say anything right, nor stated one fact.

From Wiki (and other sources):

No law explicitly and clearly prohibits lane splitting, and it has become the policy of law enforcement, the courts, and the public in California to tolerate it when it is done safely.

Old 09-19-2014 | 10:15 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
You guys go ahead and sit in traffic while I get home at a reasonable time.

I was born, and still have family, in L.A./ southern California so I'm there occasionally. I mentioned to someone the other day how lucky we are to be here and be close enough to work that it doesn't take hours of driving every morning and evening.

You all have my sympathy.

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2014 | 10:18 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

If a cager purposefully opens his door while seated in traffic on a freeway and causes a biker to get injured, its attempted murder with a deadly weapon.

All these pages and still the childish behavior..........."if I have no ***** to do it, you cannot either"

Unbelievable. These are grown men that are the most childish, immature folks I have ever found among riders

Old 09-19-2014 | 10:30 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jcapps
If a cager purposefully opens his door while seated in traffic on a freeway and causes a biker to get injured, its attempted murder with a deadly weapon.

All these pages and still the childish behavior..........."if I have no ***** to do it, you cannot either"

Unbelievable. These are grown men that are the most childish, immature folks I have ever found among riders
I personally don't care if anyone does it or not.

Given the mentality of the drivers I see on the road these days, I think it would be a mistake to legalize splitting. We can't even stop them from using cell phones, and we're going to get them to pay attention to what's going on between lanes?

No thanks.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?