General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014 | 08:25 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Seriously? That "stupid" scenario that many have seen many times?

You know it's funny, the only time I've ever seen someone open a door in traffic was a few years ago in Oakland, CA. Some commuter was trying to stop guys from splitting lanes in slow and go traffic by moving into their way with his car. When that didn't work, he opened his door in front of a bike.

Wasn't you was it? 'Cause honestly, you seem like the type.

So you're saying that all drivers should check when stopped in traffic to ensure that someone is not moving up between lanes?

In a state where it's legal and very common for motorcycles to split lanes?

Yes.

How about if they just stick their arm out their window to empty their coffee cup?

Even though it's a fairly common practice to dump coffee and other drinks out the window, it's not legal in many places.

Odds are the motorcyclist will be watching for idiots that do that kind if stuff though because we are used to watching out for people doing stupid crap in traffic.

Yes, please do: when it comes to PRIVILEGES, which is the operation of any motor vehicle on a public road, the PRIVILEGE is SPELLED OUT as to what you may and may not do.

Yes....You have said that before, we got it.

The lines in the road are there for a reason, and they're not a suggestion.

So then, Is it illegal to change lanes? Of course not.

News flash genius, the lines are there to "define" the lanes, ever been on a road without lines? I have, many times.
They kind of are a suggestion otherwise I guess they'd put up a fence.

It's legal to split lanes in California, your position here holds no water.

Try to keep up.

I have told you to do that, but you insist on falling further and further behind.

And you remind me of people who don't know when to give up, who know that they're right and everyone else is wrong.

It's hard to visualize what the world must look like from your perspective....
I am absolutely right and have stated nothing but facts here.

You, on the other hand....

Old 09-19-2014 | 08:32 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Scooters take up much less lane space then cages. Would it be legal for a small, or even a large, cage if it will fit to 'split' the lane between scooters riding in adjoining lanes,. or between a scooter in one lane and another cage in the next lane?

I'm just curious, so no smartazz comments please.

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-19-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2014 | 08:48 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Scooters take up much less lane space then cages. Would it be legal for a small, or even a large, cage if it will fit to 'split' the lane between scooters riding in adjoining lanes,. or between a scooter in one lane and another cage in the next lane?

Any vehicle can share lanes if there is space. There is no law, so there is nothing saying what type of vehicle can do it.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:01 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

And you remind me of people who don't know when to give up, who know that they're right and everyone else is wrong.
That people should be very familiar to yourself. Are you syre you're not looking in a mirror !

The section of the vehicle code specifically says something is illegal, and you insist on saying it doesn't say that.

Trying to keep up with you involves backtracking. Give up before you get farther behind than you already are. You are unbelievable.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:15 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Any vehicle can share lanes if there is space. There is no law, so there is nothing saying what type of vehicle can do it.
Good point, but my point really wasn't only the 'legality'. It was really how people would feel if, all of a sudden, a cage was passing us without moving into the next lane? Some of us don't spend all our time racing.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:19 AM
Juggerpops
Tourer

Stopped in your own lane of traffic, all others vehicles stopped, it is quite reasonable to open your door safely without interfering with the movement of traffic, which is standing still. It is NOT illegal.

what reason would you have to open your door in this instance ? if you are in a lane of traffic that is designed to have moving cars in it and or on one or more sides (ie anywhere but the shoulder or emergency lane) unless your vehicle is not functioning you have no legitimate reason for opening your door.

secondly if a moving vehicle hits the door then it obviously was not safe to open the door.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:22 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Wonder if the original poster realized the $hitstorm he was creating when he posted this up some 37 pages prior. Bottom line it is allowed in California. Some folks may not like it but it is allowed. Deal with it...or not.

Lived here for 67 years, been riding HDs since the mid-60s and watched the Santa Clara Valley go from orchards to technology-related companies. As the economy grows and shrinks so does traffic and related problems. There are more and more bikes out there and the majority do split lanes. I choose not to if I am unfortunate enough to be caught up in commute traffic on the bike. In my Elko I try to be cognizant of bikes but that comes from a riders background.

From my years of riding, traveling around the State and watching the population grow, most drivers here are tolerant of motorcycle riders and lane-splitting. There is the occasional one that pushes into the riders path to try to prevent a riders action but it only last until the rider squeezes past the idiot and then its done.

If anyone is that vehemently opposed I would suggest you do not come to visit then you do not have to get all frustrated and such with the issue. If you bike it into our State you do not have to split lanes, but it is an option.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:23 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Juggerpops
secondly if a moving vehicle hits the door then it obviously was not safe to open the door.

Oh......You're just sayin' that 'cause it's true.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:23 AM
clovisrider
Cruiser

I think I've read somewhere where cars are not allowed to lane share with a bike. I believe they would be cited for straddling the lanes in your example.

Old 09-19-2014 | 09:24 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

Good point, but my point really wasn't only the 'legality'. It was really how people would feel if, all of a sudden, a cage was passing us without moving into the next lane? Some of us don't spend all our time racing.
Legal lane sharing is not about racing. And it's not passing - it's sharing. The only reason I can imagine a cager would do that is if I was in the left-most lane and impeding him. In that case, I should see him coming, wanting to move faster than me, and I should move over. If I don't want to follow the law, I have no business complaining about the cager sharing the lane with me.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?