General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014 | 01:46 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Driver of the car would be in big trouble!

Legally or which way....? Curious if it is illegal. Here in freedom loving Idaho you can run red lights if they don't change for you on a motorcycle. Anything that happens is on the motorcyclist at that point though.
Is lane sharing legal in Cali? I don't mean splitting, but actual sharing.

Originally I said I wasn't sure how I felt. Now after stewing it over for a while.....yes it should be legal everywhere. I personally wouldn't do it, but don't care if others want to.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 09-18-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2014 | 03:02 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by adm
It works very well, although sometimes you do get an idiot in the fast lane travelling at the speed limit or below and not moving over for faster vehicles.

These people are known as "arseholes".
Or "Americans".

Old 09-18-2014 | 03:19 PM
Juggerpops
Tourer

The crap about "wait your turn like everyone else" counterintuitive thinking.

filtering thru traffic will actually help everyone else's turn come quicker its like having more lanes of traffic.

Old 09-18-2014 | 10:19 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
So lane splitting works everywhere it's practiced.

And, for some reason,, it won't work where it's not tried.

Hard to have a logical discussion with logic like that.
Originally Posted by adm
That's pretty much the way it works in Europe (not the shoulder obviously), but multi lane highways are set up so the lane nearest the shoulder is the "slow lane", and then they go faster as you move towards the central divider. No regulated speeds for the different lanes, just that if you want to pass, the guy in front can either move into a gap in the slower lane, or you can move into the faster lane to pass then move back into the slower lane.

It's considered polite to move over for a faster vehicle to pass and not to hog a lane and block traffic flow. In many countries you can get a ticket for lane hogging and impeding the flow of traffic.

It works very well, although sometimes you do get an idiot in the fast lane travelling at the speed limit or below and not moving over for faster vehicles.

These people are known as "arseholes".
All of the above. Rode several years in Germany, both a HD & psycho Kawi 1200. Didn't lane split much, but was damned convenient in the epic summer vacation traffic jams & was nice to filter up to the front at a light, in heavy city traffic.

My dumb ***, sitting in a traffic jam & a Polizei motor unit rolls up, signals me to follow him & off we went.

Old 09-18-2014 | 10:30 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcapps
Not bots dots but maybe 1" x 4" reflectors which are now set in a gouge in the pavement. Always fun when the gouge is deeper then normal
They have those reflectors here also. There are groups of 3 'dots' every 5 feet or so with a reflector in front of the first dot. Sometimes the reflector strip is very poorly done and has a gouge in front of it.

Old 09-19-2014 | 06:59 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dribble
Yes it is illegal.

22517. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side
available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and
can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic
nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle
available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than
necessary to load or unload passengers.
Stopped in your own lane of traffic, all others vehicles stopped, it is quite reasonable to open your door safely without interfering with the movement of traffic, which is standing still. It is NOT illegal.

Old 09-19-2014 | 07:02 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dribble
Remember, bowling is not in illegal in CA but it's not "explicitly legal"... it's just tolerated.

Jeez.
Bowling doesn't involve the PRIVILEGE of operating a motor vehicle on public roads.

It is tolerated in CA because it is not explicitly illegal, as it is in the other 49 states.

Last edited by mmancuso; 09-19-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2014 | 07:06 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 0maha
Why object if someone else wants to lane split? The only risk is to the rider. It doesn't cost anyone else anything. This stuff about "wait in line like everyone else" is nothing but petty jealousy.

Don't want to do it? That's good. Don't do it. What difference does it make if someone else does?
I think anyone who has to clean a rider off of the inside of his cage door, or who has that door ripped of their hands, might disagree.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed, but don't be so naïve as to think the only cost is to the rider taking the risk.

Old 09-19-2014 | 07:35 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Stopped in your own lane of traffic, all others vehicles stopped, it is quite reasonable to open your door safely without interfering with the movement of traffic, which is standing still. It is NOT illegal.

I hate to point out to you that, if a motorcycle is legally splitting lanes, all vehicles are NOT stopped and it therefore becomes illegal for you to open your door, even under your stupid scenario.

Bowling doesn't involve the PRIVILEGE of operating a motor vehicle on public roads.

It is tolerated in CA because it is not explicitly illegal, as it is in the other 49 states.

Because it's "not explicitly illegal" means it's legal.

I'll try to help you through this....

Not illegal means......Legal.

Please try to keep up.

I think anyone who has to clean a rider off of the inside of his cage door, or who has that door ripped of their hands, might disagree.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed, but don't be so naïve as to think the only cost is to the rider taking the risk.

You remind me of the type of cop that can't actually find anything "illegal" about what you're doing, but he just "has to write you for something". so he just makes something up.

Old 09-19-2014 | 07:44 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I hate to point out to you that, if a motorcycle is legally splitting lanes, all vehicles are NOT stopped and it therefore becomes illegal for you to open your door, even under your stupid scenario.
Seriously? That "stupid" scenario that many have seen many times?

So you're saying that all drivers should check when stopped in traffic to ensure that someone is not moving up between lanes? How about if they just stick their arm out their window to empty their coffee cup?
Because it's "not explicitly illegal" means it's legal.

I'll try to help you through this....

Not illegal means......Legal.

Please try to keep up.
Yes, please do: when it comes to PRIVILEGES, which is the operation of any motor vehicle on a public road, the PRIVILEGE is SPELLED OUT as to what you may and may not do. The lines in the road are there for a reason, and they're not a suggestion.

Try to keep up.
You remind me of the type of cop that can't actually find anything "illegal" about what you're doing, but he just "has to write you for something". so he just makes something up.
And you remind me of people who don't know when to give up, who know that they're right and everyone else is wrong.

Last edited by mmancuso; 09-19-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?