General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014 | 05:49 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
I know that it is not illegal in CA. That was not the "illegality" reference in my post.

I do believe that many drivers in CA may in fact check behind them before opening their doors while stopped in a traffic lane, but I can also understand those for whom it would never occur to check. Remember, lane splitting not illegal in CA, but it's also not explicitly legal....it's just tolerated.
Remember, bowling is not in illegal in CA but it's not "explicitly legal"... it's just tolerated.

Jeez.

Old 09-17-2014 | 07:29 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Biscuit
No. and take it away from California also.
I agree. Lane splitting is needless risk.

Old 09-17-2014 | 07:32 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geoff
I agree. Lane splitting is needless risk.
some people think that riding a motorcycle is a needless risk. Should we take that away as well?

Old 09-17-2014 | 08:46 PM
dodo502
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sanjuanron
yes, it should be legal everywhere! And, if you don't want to do it, don't! Sj ron
bingo!

Old 09-17-2014 | 09:42 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Why object if someone else wants to lane split? The only risk is to the rider. It doesn't cost anyone else anything. This stuff about "wait in line like everyone else" is nothing but petty jealousy.

Don't want to do it? That's good. Don't do it. What difference does it make if someone else does?

Old 09-18-2014 | 06:07 AM
insertname
Cruiser

it was either in Thunder press, or American Iron a couple months back a columnist went to the PI and rode for a while. In the article it was mentioned that they filter as a matter of necessity and describes it like the flow of a river going around big slow moving objects.
I think its great however it will never work here ( CONUS) as a whole because we have - as a society anyway - the mentality of "me first, screw you". Ever watch kids duke it out because of cutting in line? Well no much changes from then eh?

Old 09-18-2014 | 10:44 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

So lane splitting works everywhere it's practiced.

And, for some reason,, it won't work where it's not tried.

Hard to have a logical discussion with logic like that.

Old 09-18-2014 | 01:07 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

I can see lane splitting when the traffic is very slow or stopped. But when it's moving (say 50 or 60 +) There is no reason to lanesplit at 70 or 80 +!!
THATS where bad things happen.

I also get a kick out of these guys that (expect) cars to move aside for them, as in into the next lane or the shoulder.
There was some clown on a Roadking a week or so ago actually swerving at cars revving the engine because they wouldn't pull off the road or into the next lane for him.
F-in comical.

Old 09-18-2014 | 01:20 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
I also get a kick out of these guys that (expect) cars to move aside for them, as in into the next lane or the shoulder.

That's pretty much the way it works in Europe (not the shoulder obviously), but multi lane highways are set up so the lane nearest the shoulder is the "slow lane", and then they go faster as you move towards the central divider. No regulated speeds for the different lanes, just that if you want to pass, the guy in front can either move into a gap in the slower lane, or you can move into the faster lane to pass then move back into the slower lane.

It's considered polite to move over for a faster vehicle to pass and not to hog a lane and block traffic flow. In many countries you can get a ticket for lane hogging and impeding the flow of traffic.

It works very well, although sometimes you do get an idiot in the fast lane travelling at the speed limit or below and not moving over for faster vehicles.

These people are known as "arseholes".

Old 09-18-2014 | 01:27 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Works fine out here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, I lane split yesterday and will do so today.

It will work anywhere if allowed.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?