General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:09 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
If I had Cali weather roads and lane splitting here it would almost be perfect.
Yup. Those are the only things I miss about San Diego.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:11 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

"Base, cannot continue pursuit.."

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Not only do I know of a motorcop on an HD who pulled over a guy on a CBR (i'm almost positive it was a 929RR, and yeah, the guy started to run and then stopped) after the guy went flying by him, I also know of a cop in a Crown Vic who pursued and caught a guy on a Harley who fled into a park after riding through those poles set in the concrete to keep cars out of the park. The guys dropped his bike on the grass as the Crown Vic came into the park from around the corner.

It's not a free pass, even when you think it would be.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:12 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by mmancuso
No kidding! After all, we all know that there's no chance of a driver stopped in traffic opening his door without looking.

No chance at all.

LOL!
Never had this happen to me in 3 years lane splitting in Cali. If it had, the law would have been on my side. Either way...pay attention and take the risk or sit your *** in traffic. Your choice. No one is trying to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:14 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

I have almost bit the dust because of rolling stop right turns. They're supposed to stop and look before proceeding, but often don't. Yes, I very much have my eye on them as I approach because I know they might do something illegal.

The only thing that's ridiculous is you not understanding that running a red light is illegal, and people doing it on purpose know they're creating great risk for themselves and others. However, someone sitting in traffic, stopped, who opens his door, is doing nothing illegal, and it would never cross his mind (understandably) that he might be putting someone at risk.

I don't have any hatred or animosity about lane splitting. I just think it's a risk that I would not accept because of the above.
Someone else posted in this thread that in CA, it is illegal. Besides, drivers there have been used to lane splitting for many years, so believe it or not, most of them DO think to look first.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:16 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Have heard of people opening doors on purpose to stop motorcyclists from doing this. Correct me if I'm mistaken but it's the motorcyclist's fault if anything happens...?
I have mixed emotions about it. Is it safe....no. Is it consistently unsafe....no.
Still can't understand how in a state that won't allow you to ride without a helmet would let you split lanes.
Wrong. In CA there is a big campaign to let people know that this behavior is highly illegal.

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/
Note #3 and #4

Last edited by Red Dragons; 09-17-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2014 | 01:24 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Someone else posted in this thread that in CA, it is illegal. Besides, drivers there have been used to lane splitting for many years, so believe it or not, most of them DO think to look first.
I know that it is not illegal in CA. That was not the "illegality" reference in my post.

I do believe that many drivers in CA may in fact check behind them before opening their doors while stopped in a traffic lane, but I can also understand those for whom it would never occur to check. Remember, lane splitting not illegal in CA, but it's also not explicitly legal....it's just tolerated.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:38 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

I know that it is not illegal in CA. That was not the "illegality" reference in my post.

I do believe that many drivers in CA may in fact check behind them before opening their doors while stopped in a traffic lane, but I can also understand those for whom it would never occur to check. Remember, lane splitting not illegal in CA, but it's also not explicitly legal....it's just tolerated.
This has no bearing. ANYTHING that isn't illegal is "legal" in this country. Deliberately harming other people is always illlegal. Some people might not think to look, but that's part of the paying attention part of being a rider. When I used to split, my anus was constantly puckered. The worst thing that happened in 3 years was some guy closed the gap suddenly and my mirror bumped his mirror. But I many times had to full stop suddenly when the gap closed too tight for my handlebars.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:39 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Have heard of people opening doors on purpose to stop motorcyclists from doing this.
WTF is wrong with people these days?

If it annoys you that bikes are going past you in slow traffic....then buy a bike and do it yourself. It's not rocket science and getting mad or trying to get even is primary school behaviour.

Just back from a ride this afternoon myself, with about 2 miles of filtering past stopped cars due to an accident. Straight up to the front of the queue then waved right through by the police cleaning it all up. Nobody in the stuck traffic opened a door to try and kill me, and I bet a few people thought "wish I had a bike".

This thread seems to have gone on a while for something that almost the entire planet thinks is perfectly acceptable. Like all riding, just keep your wits about you and scan for hazards constantly.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:44 PM
dodo502
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dan conner
absolutely not, wait your turn in line like everyone else. you have done nothing to deserve special privileges. now if the state wanted to charge $1,000 a year to split lanes, and you went thru a special class and had a decal on your bike to show that you were paying for the privilege...that should be fine with the majority of the motoring public. then it would be more like a toll road--where you pay to drive on less crowded roadways and get to your destination quicker.
this is the dumbest ****ing idea ive ever seen.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:46 PM
dodo502
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redsauce
I am seriously blown away by the "no" replies. "Wait your turn"?! Are you kidding me?! Did you even watch the video?! Lane-splitting has nothing to with "cutting in front of the line" with a grade-school mentality. Pay $1000.00 and get a special decal put on your bike?! Are you joking?!! Do you guys even ride motorcycles?! Are you all for the helmet law in every state? Are you Americans?! Holy cow...I can't believe this. THIS IS A MOTORCYCLE FORUM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! lol...ok...I am over it. What are ya gonna do... ...oh. Yeah. Of course I am for it!
Thank you for venting so i didnt have to type this all out!!! good job!

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?