General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014 | 10:23 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
A reasonable man on the HDForums. Never thought I'd live to see the day. haha.

The weather is great here. Even our 100 degree heat wave is mild and dry compared to what I used to encounter when I'd visit my gal (now wife) in San Antonio from New Orleans.

I'm jealous of you guys BBQ, by the by.
If I had Cali weather roads and lane splitting here it would almost be perfect. I'm originally from Nola and in the process of moving back for some damn reason lol

Old 09-17-2014 | 11:08 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by mmancuso
No kidding! After all, we all know that there's no chance of a driver stopped in traffic opening his door without looking.

No chance at all.

LOL!
And some people seem to think that there's a chance in hell of a driver hitting a motorcycle from behind while the bike is stopped in traffic.

That'd never happen.

Oh, wait. It happened to ME !

Never had a door opened in front of me yet, though. Have you ?

Old 09-17-2014 | 12:05 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
And some people seem to think that there's a chance in hell of a driver hitting a motorcycle from behind while the bike is stopped in traffic.

That'd never happen.

Oh, wait. It happened to ME !

Never had a door opened in front of me yet, though. Have you ?
No, I don't lane split, legal or not, because I have seen many a stopped driver open their door, to pour out a drink for example, and they didn't first look behind them as near as I could tell.

Old 09-17-2014 | 12:37 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

No, I don't lane split, legal or not, because I have seen many a stopped driver open their door, to pour out a drink for example, and they didn't first look behind them as near as I could tell.
Do you drive thru green lit intersections without stopping or slowing waaaaay down first? I'll bet you have seen people run red lights. Same thing. You and many others are using ridiculous comparisons to legitimize their hatred for lane splitting/sharing. BTW I am not trying to single you out, your example was just the one I picked to use.

Old 09-17-2014 | 12:46 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Do you drive thru green lit intersections without stopping or slowing waaaaay down first? I'll bet you have seen people run red lights. Same thing. You and many others are using ridiculous comparisons to legitimize their hatred for lane splitting/sharing. BTW I am not trying to single you out, your example was just the one I picked to use.
I have almost bit the dust because of rolling stop right turns. They're supposed to stop and look before proceeding, but often don't. Yes, I very much have my eye on them as I approach because I know they might do something illegal.

The only thing that's ridiculous is you not understanding that running a red light is illegal, and people doing it on purpose know they're creating great risk for themselves and others. However, someone sitting in traffic, stopped, who opens his door, is doing nothing illegal, and it would never cross his mind (understandably) that he might be putting someone at risk.

I don't have any hatred or animosity about lane splitting. I just think it's a risk that I would not accept because of the above.

Last edited by mmancuso; 09-17-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2014 | 12:49 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

The only thing that's ridiculous is you not understanding that running a red light is illegal, and people doing it on purpose know they're creating great risk for themselves and others. However, someone sitting in traffic, stopped, who opens his door, is doing nothing illegal, and it would never cross his mind (understandably) that he might be putting someone at risk.

I don't have any hatred or animosity about lane splitting. I just think it's a risk that I would not accept because of the above.
Whatever man spin it however you want, LOL.

Old 09-17-2014 | 12:55 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Have heard of people opening doors on purpose to stop motorcyclists from doing this. Correct me if I'm mistaken but it's the motorcyclist's fault if anything happens...?
I have mixed emotions about it. Is it safe....no. Is it consistently unsafe....no.
Still can't understand how in a state that won't allow you to ride without a helmet would let you split lanes.

Old 09-17-2014 | 12:57 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Have heard of people opening doors on purpose to stop motorcyclists from doing this. Correct me if I'm mistaken but it's the motorcyclist's fault if anything happens...?
I have mixed emotions about it. Is it safe....no. Is it consistently unsafe....no.
Still can't understand how in a state that won't allow you to ride without a helmet would let you split lanes.
Driver of the car would be in big trouble!

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:04 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Whatever man spin it however you want, LOL.
If you call it spinning to differentiate between someone doing something illegal that is inherently very risky, and someone doing something that is legal and normally risk free, then OK, I'm spinning it.

Old 09-17-2014 | 01:09 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

If you call it spinning to differentiate between someone doing something illegal that is inherently very risky, and someone doing something that is legal and normally risk free, then OK, I'm spinning it.
Yes , yes you are.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?