General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014 | 09:56 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kevinch
In a word: No.

I own my spot in my lane from edge-to-edge whether I'm in my car or on my bike & you have no right to any part of it.

When riding my bike, I have no intention on sharing my spot in the lane with a cage, & the same goes when I'm in my cage.
Then...I guess it would be OK for me to pull up along side you in my cage, to your right, when you are riding close to the zipper & pass you - sharing your lane & splitting it with you on my left, & additional traffic on my right?

It works 2 ways there Bozo - no charge for the comedy.
Not an issue - as long as I can pull beside you in my cage & split the lane between you & other traffic.
You should just quit while you're behind.

Old 09-16-2014 | 10:08 AM
silent1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
You're not too bright are you.
Not so much, eh?

Old 09-16-2014 | 11:30 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
This is pretty simple really...along with making lane-splitting legal, you enact stiff penalties for drivers who try to block bikers from passing. Swerving a car to hit or block another driver should be a felony anyway.
So, do trikes & Can Am Spyders fall under the heading of "motorcycle"? Are 3 wheelers allowed to split lanes in CA?

Old 09-16-2014 | 11:30 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain

Well, I'm bright enough to know that I don't want a cage riding beside me in the same lane, whether I'm moving faster than it or it's moving faster than me. Not a position I'll put myself in, or my passenger. If I'm in my cage, I'll give every bike the entire lane from left to right without trying to share it, & I'll respect a cage's position & give them the same courtesy when I'm on my bike - wherever I'm at.

I'm also bright enough to know that only in the land of fruits & nuts is it allowed in the US. That's good enough for me: I've been there twice & that was 1 time too many.

I understand you calling me stupid though. Typical .... I don't agree & my position is different, so I'm stupid! Kind of cute, actually....

I'll take the advice & stop here. You kids have fun with the rest of your debate & enjoy your day....

Old 09-16-2014 | 11:39 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
Didn't have a chance to read the entire thread, but I wish it was legal every where. Of course there should be some kind of regs to go with it though.

Someone mentioned almost having a heat stroke. This is one good reason for sure, but another great point is..... We all (for the most part) have AIR COOLED ENGINES. Heat can play a huge factor in reducing the life of your engine. My self like 90% of the members have done performance upgrades and in most cases this increases engine temps so sitting idle in traffic doesn't help one bit. I'm guilty of splitting any chance I can, but I'll pay/accept the consequence when I get caught.

This is one thing I wish TX/LA would copy Cali on ( I'm also secretly jealous of your weather ha )
A reasonable man on the HDForums. Never thought I'd live to see the day. haha.

The weather is great here. Even our 100 degree heat wave is mild and dry compared to what I used to encounter when I'd visit my gal (now wife) in San Antonio from New Orleans.

I'm jealous of you guys BBQ, by the by.

Old 09-16-2014 | 11:40 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcapps
Please provide the deed to "your" property. I never knew you can buy your own personal lane
heheh.

Old 09-16-2014 | 11:52 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

I understand you calling me stupid though. Typical .... I don't agree & my position is different, so I'm stupid! Kind of cute, actually.... . You kids have fun
You're really contributing to the perception that you're synaptically-challenged. You started calling people "Bozo", and then complain when someone calls you stupid.

Very credible. Cluelessly, apparently.

Old 09-16-2014 | 12:00 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
So, do trikes & Can Am Spyders fall under the heading of "motorcycle"? Are 3 wheelers allowed to split lanes in CA?
There is no law saying a motorcycle can split lanes. Any 2 vehicles can share the lane if there is sufficient space - there is no law that says only 1 vehicle can occupy a lane at a time. That is the basis for lane sharing. The same rule is applied at a right turn, or when crossing an intersection. There is only 1 lane, but a right turner establishes a sharing situation when the move to the right to make their turn. I can also share the lane with a car turning left - I don't have to wait behind them for them to complete the turn, I can move right and share the lane with them as I continue straight through the intersection.

Old 09-16-2014 | 12:11 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Then...I guess it would be OK for me to pull up along side you in my cage, to your right, when you are riding close to the zipper & pass you - sharing your lane & splitting it with you on my left, & additional traffic on my right?

It works 2 ways there Bozo - no charge for the comedy.
Actually, you could do that legally. The rider may not like it, but the cager would not necessarily be in violation. If the rider in the left lane is not moving at the limit, he should not be in that lane. In that case, the cager would not be in violation and could legally make that move. If the rider is moving at the limit, the cager could be stopped for reckless driving or speeding.

While I haven't had this happen with cars, this is common and accepted with riders. Those who do not want to split stay far left, and the splitters ride on the right, sharing the lane with them to get passed.

It is not only motorcycles that can share lanes - cars can do it as well.

Old 09-16-2014 | 04:07 PM
Tx911guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
In my state, sharing a lane with another vehicle is not permitted.

Yet we ride side by side often... without citations.

It would be great to have lane splitting permitted on I-35 through Austin and certain areas of DFW/Houston.
I live in the Houston area....would love to be able to lane split on 59 or 45 or 10....or 290...damn Houston traffic sucks!

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?