General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014 | 12:52 PM
joecA2
Intermediate

Yes, I believe it should be legal here in Michigan.

I was once about to have a heat stroke on the July 4th weekend a few years ago sitting on an interstate parking lot only moving a few feet every 5 minutes. Jumped on the shoulder and rode 5 to 10 mph and still had an *** clown cut over with a Suburban to take me out.

People in cars don't understand how hot it gets when your not moving for a long period of time. Splitting the lanes hurts nothing (but the ego's of idiots that react as mentioned above).

Old 09-15-2014 | 12:55 PM
CipoWins42
Road Captain

It wouldn't work. People hate for somebody to pass them. Most can't drive/ride anyway.
Look at how many people camp out in the left lane.

Old 09-15-2014 | 01:23 PM
Zeus55
Road Master

Sure it should be legal but... are'nt you tired of always being framed by laws?

Laws are mainly for idiots and those who have no common sense.
Yes I'm ok with line-sharing everywhere, but the problem, here in Canada, is that many people imagine that the space they occupy on the road belongs to them and they will not share it with anybody, some will even fight for it.

So the question is not to make a law because some idiots do not comply, but it's trying to guess if the driver in front of us will have the courtesy to let us go by.

Today, I would not take the chance to do it on a highway, but I do it when I'm stopped at a traffic light, I ride between two vehicles to avoid getting hit from behind.

Old 09-15-2014 | 01:45 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by CipoWins42
It wouldn't work. People hate for somebody to pass them. Most can't drive/ride anyway.
Look at how many people camp out in the left lane.
Try reading the thread. It has worked almost flawlessly in CA for many, many years. Oh...and the rest of the world as well.

Old 09-15-2014 | 02:04 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Zeus55
Sure it should be legal but... are'nt you tired of always being framed by laws?

Laws are mainly for idiots and those who have no common sense.
Yes I'm ok with line-sharing everywhere, but the problem, here in Canada, is that many people imagine that the space they occupy on the road belongs to them and they will not share it with anybody, some will even fight for it.

So the question is not to make a law because some idiots do not comply, but it's trying to guess if the driver in front of us will have the courtesy to let us go by.

Today, I would not take the chance to do it on a highway, but I do it when I'm stopped at a traffic light, I ride between two vehicles to avoid getting hit from behind.
This is pretty simple really...along with making lane-splitting legal, you enact stiff penalties for drivers who try to block bikers from passing. Swerving a car to hit or block another driver should be a felony anyway.

Old 09-15-2014 | 02:27 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain

Didn't have a chance to read the entire thread, but I wish it was legal every where. Of course there should be some kind of regs to go with it though.

Someone mentioned almost having a heat stroke. This is one good reason for sure, but another great point is..... We all (for the most part) have AIR COOLED ENGINES. Heat can play a huge factor in reducing the life of your engine. My self like 90% of the members have done performance upgrades and in most cases this increases engine temps so sitting idle in traffic doesn't help one bit. I'm guilty of splitting any chance I can, but I'll pay/accept the consequence when I get caught.

This is one thing I wish TX/LA would copy Cali on ( I'm also secretly jealous of your weather ha )

Last edited by Throttle_Jockey; 09-15-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2014 | 07:27 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain

Originally Posted by silent1
I paid the same taxes as you did. Maybe you're in MY spot in the lane. At any rate, I'll blow past you as I see fit, and there's nothing you can about it.

Thanks for the laugh today.

Then...I guess it would be OK for me to pull up along side you in my cage, to your right, when you are riding close to the zipper & pass you - sharing your lane & splitting it with you on my left, & additional traffic on my right?

It works 2 ways there Bozo - no charge for the comedy.

Old 09-16-2014 | 07:29 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Wrong. I own the pavement it's on. You're just renting the space you've placed your personal property on.

You haven't sent in your rent check to me. Until you do, you're going to have to share.
Not an issue - as long as I can pull beside you in my cage & split the lane between you & other traffic.

Old 09-16-2014 | 07:40 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Then...I guess it would be OK for me to pull up along side you in my cage, to your right, when you are riding close to the zipper & pass you - sharing your lane & splitting it with you on my left, & additional traffic on my right?

You're not too bright are you.

Old 09-16-2014 | 09:33 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kevinch

Yeah...except no law anywhere, ever will allow that. What we're talking about is legal in CA and possibly other places in the future.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?