General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014 | 05:57 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah that was so bad we actually went the long way around.....did you see my FXR there?

Old 09-13-2014 | 06:09 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Yeah that was so bad we actually went the long way around.....did you see my FXR there?
Oh, were there motorcycles there?

Old 09-13-2014 | 06:18 PM
8 Track
6th Gear

Yes. Make it legal.

I don't like sitting in line and possibly getting rear ended by a texting cager, or being tailgated on the highway because everyone in front of me is going slow. Jealous? Buy a motorcycle.

Old 09-14-2014 | 08:29 AM
Ckittler
Intermediate

I am for lane splitting I spent years stationed in Germany and was always amazed by the large number of motorcycles in Europe. Strict enforcement of vehicle condition and drver's licensing standards would save money ie lowering insurance rates and keeping the pos vehicles off the road JMO .

Old 09-14-2014 | 10:35 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike_M

You said that if you hadn't checked your mirror, you would have killed a motorcyclist.

If you start changing lanes without checking your mirrors then you should be at fault in an accident. Doesn't matter whether it is a car or a truck. That is why the driver of the car is usually at fault when hitting a motorcycle that is lane splitting in CA.
Or if he didn't have the fisheye mirror or if the motorcycle had been in a different part of his blind spot.

Old 09-14-2014 | 12:06 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
They believe that in California, but I've never seen it happen.

I can't even understand why someone would believe that people would intentionally damage their car doors. How fun would it be tomdrive home with a door that wouldn't shut and a torn up door panel. Makes no sense. Perhaps there are people in California stupid enough to do that, but I can't imagine people in Texas are that stupid. Maybe I'm wrong.
Opening a door into traffic is illegal in Ca.

Old 09-14-2014 | 06:24 PM
sjef
Road Captain

Personally I think don't think it should be illegal anywhere. I don't know that I buy into the thought that it's safer, but I think it should be up to the rider. Then again I don't believe in helmet laws and surely don't buy into the crap that loud pipes save lives.
If we could do it here in Jersey I'm sure I would be splitting lanes.

Old 09-14-2014 | 07:20 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Yes lane sharing should be allowed every place.

Old 09-15-2014 | 08:01 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain

In a word: No.

I own my spot in my lane from edge-to-edge whether I'm in my car or on my bike & you have no right to any part of it.

When riding my bike, I have no intention on sharing my spot in the lane with a cage, & the same goes when I'm in my cage.

Old 09-15-2014 | 08:36 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kevinch
In a word: No.

I own my spot in my lane from edge-to-edge whether I'm in my car or on my bike & you have no right to any part of it.

When riding my bike, I have no intention on sharing my spot in the lane with a cage, & the same goes when I'm in my cage.

Wow. Control freak?

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?