General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:40 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by 6 gun
If I was to try to lane split, there would be some *** hole to
open their car door out of spite, and if I lived, they would
want me to replace their door.
They believe that in California, but I've never seen it happen.

I can't even understand why someone would believe that people would intentionally damage their car doors. How fun would it be tomdrive home with a door that wouldn't shut and a torn up door panel. Makes no sense. Perhaps there are people in California stupid enough to do that, but I can't imagine people in Texas are that stupid. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 09-13-2014 | 02:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by edilgdaor

I can't even understand why someone would believe that people would intentionally damage their car doors. How fun would it be tomdrive home with a door that wouldn't shut and a torn up door panel. Makes no sense. Perhaps there are people in California stupid enough to do that, but I can't imagine people in Texas are that stupid. Maybe I'm wrong.
Actually I have but we were in a parking lot not on the street when Ms. Clueless swung her door open into my partner, she was too busy screaming at her kids to notice the bike coming in to park .

Old 09-13-2014 | 02:21 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh believe you me, there are some people here in Texas that are Dumb enough,
and Rich enough to pull that kind of ****, especially if they wanted a new door or door panel.

Old 09-13-2014 | 02:31 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Oh believe you me, there are some people here in Texas that are Dumb enough,
and Rich enough to pull that kind of ****, especially if they wanted a new door or door panel.
So why would YOU have to pay for it.

YOU didn't open the door when it wasn't safe. THEY did.

Do people in Texas routinely open their doors on the freeway as an accepted activity ? What wiold happen if they did that and a car took their door off ?

Old 09-13-2014 | 03:30 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member

Hick that's a Texas convertible no doors

Old 09-13-2014 | 03:33 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Road rage gets people to do all sorts of crazy stuff. It's not any stranger than just banging into another car.

Old 09-13-2014 | 03:46 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master

I don't mind if it was,can get ahead of the people finger fucting the phone quicker.

Old 09-13-2014 | 04:21 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by david t
I did look in my mirrors I always do read what I said again.
If I didn't look in my fish eye I would never have known he was there. The fish eye gives a driver a wide angle of view that the regular mirror doesn't c.
They sure have saved a life more than once.

The driver who merged and hit the other vehicle would be at fault.

I use the old measure twice cut once theory, LOOK twice move once works every time.
I did read what you said:
"I almost took out a guy doing it. I was in my 18 whlr. and if I would have started moving over w/out looking in my fish eye he would have been road kill."

You said that if you hadn't checked your mirror, you would have killed a motorcyclist.

If you start changing lanes without checking your mirrors then you should be at fault in an accident. Doesn't matter whether it is a car or a truck. That is why the driver of the car is usually at fault when hitting a motorcycle that is lane splitting in CA.

Where legal, lane splitting should be just as safe (or safer) as using any other lane of traffic.

Last edited by Mike_M; 09-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2014 | 04:25 PM
Gliden
Club Member

I don't like it.

Old 09-13-2014 | 04:57 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Just got back from an event in Dixon CA (Renegade Rendezvous). Had to ride highway 50 through downtown Sacramento and they just started some major road construction bringing four lanes down to two. Traffic was stop and go for miles and it's 100 degrees today. We split for seven miles on the Ultra Limited with the wife on the back and we lived to ride another day.

Just some observations.

Eighty percent of the drivers maneuvered out of our way to make room. The truckers are the most considerate. Nineteen percent just sat there (which is fine). Two tried to block us (one asswipe with Nevada plates, go figure). I just went around them on the right. And one dumbshit lady tried to change lanes without looking as I was coming up on her left and I had to get on the binders pretty hard. I looked at her, shook my head and kept splitting.

If we didn't split we might still be sitting in that mess.

Last edited by dribble; 09-13-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?