General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014 | 11:50 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

You have to be a little more careful when you do it with a bagger.

The guy was going way to fast in my opinion.

Old 09-13-2014 | 11:56 AM
GaryInDelta
Advanced
Default Most Hated Group

Here in the real world (NOT California) the most hated group of road users are bicyclists who clog up traffic lanes but obey no traffic laws themselves.
BUT motorcyclists could once again (1960's, '70's?) be the most hated group if lane splitting became legal everywhere. Reason for that? Motorists would think we were stealing a bit of their road from them. Childish, yes, but reality.

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:04 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDave13
You have to be a little more careful when you do it with a bagger.

Lane Splitting Crash! - YouTube

The guy was going way to fast in my opinion.
Guy on the bagger was a complete idiot. Way too fast to split and unsure of his bike and abilities

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:14 PM
david t
Novice

Originally Posted by Mike_M
Why would you even think about starting to move over into another lane without checking your mirrors? Especially in an 18 wheeler?

So who would have been at fault in an accident like this? The rider who was doing something legal, or the driver who started merging into another lane without checking his mirrors?
I did look in my mirrors I always do read what I said again.
If I didn't look in my fish eye I would never have known he was there. The fish eye gives a driver a wide angle of view that the regular mirror doesn't c.
They sure have saved a life more than once.

The driver who merged and hit the other vehicle would be at fault.

I use the old measure twice cut once theory, LOOK twice move once works every time.

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:15 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by david t
Motorcycling is dangerous no matter how u slice it...
Fixed it for you.

Everything is potentially dangerous, from sudden flats, to truck drivers who think a motorcyclist is lucky because the truck driver checked all of his mirrors.

Last edited by edilgdaor; 09-13-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2014 | 12:33 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jcapps
What it comes down to is...................leave it legal in CA, legalize it in other states.

If you have the abilities to ride a motorcycle and lane split do it. If you do not, wait in traffic.

But just because a few feel that THEY are not skilled enough riders, does not mean it should not be allowed for the rest of us.

I still cannot get over the immaturity of " well if I cannot do it, you cannot do it" And "what makes you so special" gtfu

Amen!

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:33 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by jcapps
Guy on the bagger was a complete idiot. Way too fast to split and unsure of his bike and abilities
But, but, but those sport bike riders are CRAZY ...they ride too fast...

Oh, wait.

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:41 PM
david t
Novice

[QUOTE=GaryInDelta;13213112]Here in the real world (NOT California) the most hated group of road users are bicyclists who clog up traffic lanes but obey no traffic laws themselves.

So true, I was in CHI-town on Damen ave. (wont forget that street) a two lane road and a bicyclist grabbed onto my trailer and hung on for a free ride 15-20 mph let go just before the intersection as the light was red floated through and got wacked by a school bus sent her flying kiddie corner across the intersection.
Bicyclists always grab onto the trailers for a free ride even the ones who wear all the racing gear.

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:05 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

If I was to try to lane split, there would be some *** hole to
open their car door out of spite, and if I lived, they would
want me to replace their door.

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

In 2002, road construction on I90 east of Sturgis backed up traffic for miles at the end of ralleye week. Hundreds, if not thousands of bikers, rode on the right shoulder of the interstate, passing hundreds of cars, rather than get caught in that traffic jam. The cops just watched us go by. Maybe because there were too many to stop (?)

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?