General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:04 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Uhh, since you are intent on being ignorant, I mustn't do anything for you. But if your mind ever opens, type "www.google.com" and go from there. You might find that while Arizona had plenty of rear-end collision deaths of all vehicle types, their rate of fatalities for motorcyclists was three times higher than that of California. The ratios of other vehicles was comparable, but the rate of motorcycle deaths was one third in California due to rear-end collision. The only difference is that lane-splitting is legal in California.
Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Whoa, there, pardner...back that bus up. (My underlining for emphasis.)

If you're into Googling, I would strongly suggest you start with "Correlation does not imply causation".

There is zero probability that the difference in death rates is solely due to lanesplitting, unless every. single. other. thing. that applies to or involves motorcycling is 100% identical in both states. That would include all licensing requirements, training requirements, training available, average age of riders, most common types of motorcycles, average annual miles ridden, mix of urban/rural riding, etc., etc., etc..

You can't point to one parameter and say that's the only difference. It isn't.
Yeah, the old "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" idea.

The main difference I'd think of is in the extent of nasty urban traffic congestion, and that's only one variable. I'd expect more accidents come with more areas of high traffic density.

Old 09-13-2014 | 07:22 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior

Not unusual for a group of 8 or 9 of us to lane split and stream or pour through traffic between lanes of cars and all of us pull up at the front of any traffic stopped at red lights.

Traffic here is used to it and will usually make room so we can get through, they seem to have a very good sense for bikes as they have pretty much all ridden bicycles and lots of them have ridden small scooters to commute at some stage.

Once in a while you will strike an *** hole who will close the gap but they are rare.

Old 09-13-2014 | 08:08 AM
triumph900
Road Captain

No. I can't think of ANY Californicating laws I would want imposed in the state I live in!

Old 09-13-2014 | 08:42 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by triumph900
No. I can't think of ANY Californicating laws I would want imposed in the state I live in!
You do realize it is your state that has the law, not California, correct? You live in the nanny state that needed to pass a law saying you can't lane split.

Old 09-13-2014 | 10:35 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by chrisj49
You do realize it is your state that has the law, not California, correct? You live in the nanny state that needed to pass a law saying you can't lane split.
This is the one case where cali ISNT acting like the nanny state.

Old 09-13-2014 | 10:51 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

How about the California law that bans motorcycle only checkpoints. Looks like your bill stalled and you guys will be keeping those for a while.

Old 09-13-2014 | 11:16 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Exactly.

`Sure glad I don`t live there and drive on that hell slab.

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Until you try it, it doesn't really seem as if it would work, I'll agree. It would seem dangerous to drive 55mph with a speeding truck approaching you head on only a few feet away, but milions of people manage that just fine, even though it was probably scary when we first started driving. Once you get in the split on a bike, it's just about riding a motorcycle in a straight line, and the cars alongside are going relatively the same speed instead of closing at a combined rate of over 100mph as in the oncoming truck scenario.

One thing that may add to someeople's trepidation is the roads.I've ridden a few thousand miles in Oklahoma, and nearly all the roads in the countryside don't have shoulders. Why is that ? That probably heightens the sensation of how close the cars are alongside of you. And where do the cars that die on the road stop ? In thetraffic lanes, and not onthe side of the road ?

Now THAT seems really scary to me. How do you survive the danger ?
By riding like everyone`s out to flatten you......

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-21-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-13-2014 | 11:22 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

How much do you pay for your motorcycle inspection sticker ?

Old 09-13-2014 | 11:38 AM
david t
Novice

Like bicycles motorcycles should get their own lane too.

Lane splitting is dangerous no matter how u slice it, heck I was just in Cali. and sure enough I almost took out a guy doing it. I was in my 18 whlr. and if I would have started moving over w/out looking in my fish eye he would have been road kill. He was on a BMW with suit cases on the sides way to wide to be splitting lanes to begin with IMO I mean the thing looked like a baggage cart at the Bellagio.

To answer the original question I vote yes, legal everywhere.
I still would prefer a motorcycle lane only, that would be boss.

Last edited by david t; 09-13-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2014 | 11:41 AM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by david t
Like bicycles motorcycles should get their own lane too.

Lane splitting is dangerous no matter how u slice it, heck I was just in Cali. and sure enough I almost took out a guy doing it. I was in my 18 whlr. and if I would have started moving over w/out looking in my fish eye he would have been road kill. He was on a BMW with suit cases on the sides way to wide to be splitting lanes to begin with IMO I mean the thing looked like a baggage cart at the Bellagio.
Why would you even think about starting to move over into another lane without checking your mirrors? Especially in an 18 wheeler?

So who would have been at fault in an accident like this? The rider who was doing something legal, or the driver who started merging into another lane without checking his mirrors?

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?