General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:02 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Ha! No worries, we're good.

I'm a "1%'er", that is, one of those very, very few individuals who actually understands that the written word doesn't always come across as intended, so I do my best to be clear, (ok, maybe a little humorous at the same time...), and I also never take offense unless I'm sure it was intended.

Always good to meet another data junkie!
Data junkie. I like it. Much better than telling someone I was a Metrologist, because people would ask me for a weather forecast...

I try too hard to cover data uncertainties for people with a broad spectrum of data comprehension, and to cover it all would involve an analysis of all known contributors to the data as presented, and that doesn't even include an uncertainty analysis, which....

Ahh, never mind. It'll take too long to explain, and 99% don't care anyway. I just struggle with how much to summarize for the broad spectrum of people here.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a list of my meanieness from the posting monitor...

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:10 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

I have all of Edward R. Tufte's important books, and actually went to a seminar he gave back around '93 or so.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 09-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 08:20 PM
davisr014
Intermediate

Absolutely not. It is going to cause way more problems then solutions.

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:21 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I have most of Edward R. Tufte's earlier books, and actually went to a seminar he gave back around '93 or so.
I'm pretty sure we had a couple of his books at work, but my work wasn't so much that type of presentation. Mostly I wrote Uncertainty Analysis, summarized it in tabular form for all specified environments and data specification points of use, and linked the data to the spreadsheets and formulae used for the specific point of interest. Reducing the uncertainty to supportable data of 4:1 or 10:1 Uncertainty Ratios depending on method of assurance was where the fun was for me. I wonder who's yawning...

I find it ironic that, when you get a few thousnad miles in either direction from California, the concensus seems to be that lane-splitting is unrealistic in its practicality. Yet, when you continue a few thousand miles further from those points of resistance ( for instance, Europe or Japan ), reports are that lane-splitting or filtering is not only the norm, but is accepted, successful, and practical. Very odd that if you just go a little farther than the resistance areas, you find the total opposite of what the resistors would imagine would be possible.

How would they explain that, I wonder. And ask politely without calling anybody any bad words that might be possibly interpreted as mean...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-21-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 08:31 PM
Corn Born
Advanced

Originally Posted by backplay
Actually I'm not. CA is a great state. But if there is no law for or against, what do you guys do? Is it up to the individual officer to write a ticket as he/she sees fit, or just how do you go about lane splitting if there is no definable way to determine the legality of it?
just like any state....if there is no law against what I am doing then it is not illegal. Think about it. Is there a law permitting you to have a cup of coffee on the porch in the afternoon. Nope and i bet there is not one against it either. Get Government out and both you and I will be happier

Why does this make so many people outside this state act like they have a care for what happens here. Do you really hate being you or where you live that you need to worry about CA. You can do stuff in other states that you cant do here in CA like 2A. Do you see people on here going apesh*t about another state gets to do this or that, that we need to stop this now....hell no... we cross state lines and some do or don't take off the helmet but we don't cry about it we just move on with our lives and make what we can out of where we are.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-21-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 09:54 PM
scoteh
Club Member

[QUOTE=edilgdaor;13206740]You are three times more likely to get rear-ended on a bike in stop and go traffic, than you are to get in an accident if you lane split, studies show. THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY to get in an accident, and the injuries when rear-ended will be more severe than when lane splitting.

So we have people thousands of miles away from being able to lane-split who would prefer a motorcyclist subject themselves to THREE TIMES an accident risk, just because they don't know what it's like to choose the safer option.

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Someone else already posted links. You said something to the effect that no argument in this thread wws going to affect your opinion, as if to disregard anything I might say-your mind was made up. Several people obviously would post opinions without reading the thread, which is why I kept attempting to get through to them. They were acting as if they did not want to know anything but just to spout an opinion from thousands of miles away about something they know very little about and don't CARE to know. I wouldn't call that being fully informed, and it could be taken as being somewhat ignorant of a reality they know nothing about.

Other than that, and the comment about a cop making cops look bad (I didn't call him anything, but implied what he could make other cops look like), what were the terrible things I said about people ?
Originally Posted by scoteh
Some of y'all keep saying that "studies show" this or that. If you are to use that statement you must provide documentation. Post links to the studies. Otherwise you statement is useless.
This "debate" has zero effect on me, but I find many of the things posted interesting and, more so, entertaining.
The debate has zero effect on me because, as I previously stated, lane splitting is not for me. I have ridden in plenty of traffic, including in California. And all around the country, but only when I must. Fortunately, most cities I can avoid.
Your first post on the subject is quoted above. Without documentation. And no links provided by anyone for a number of posts afterward. Opinions need no references, but facts (3x more) do.
You're pretty good with your inferrences. It's the ol' calling someone an idiot without calling them an idiot. Me? I am ignorant, but you implied that straight out. That's a true statement sometimes.
FWIW, I have lane split in the past., so I am not totally uninformed or ignorant on the subject. Nevertheless, I started reading this thread to find solid arguments on either side. But, as usual, there has been less real information and more entertainment.
Have no fear, if I am in California in a car, I'll be looking, listening, and giving plenty of space to bikes that split. If I'm on my bike and run into traffic snafus, I'll exit stage right and find somewhere else to be.
This was way too much like work.
Peace.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:26 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by scoteh
Have no fear, if I am in California in a car, I'll be looking, listening, and giving plenty of space to bikes that split. If I'm on my bike and run into traffic snafus, I'll exit stage right ...
So, gotta link for that ?

J/K

So, tell me, did you check any of the links that the other poster provided ?

Peace back from another sometimes ignorant poster...

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:51 PM
silent1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
I find it ironic that, when you get a few thousnad miles in either direction from California, the concensus seems to be that lane-splitting is unrealistic in its practicality. Yet, when you continue a few thousand miles further from those points of resistance ( for instance, Europe or Japan ), reports are that lane-splitting or filtering is not only the norm, but is accepted, successful, and practical. Very odd that if you just go a little farther than the resistance areas, you find the total opposite of what the resistors would imagine would be possible.

How would they explain that, I wonder. And ask politely without calling anybody any bad words that might be possibly interpreted as mean...
It's simple why it's so accepted in those places: Cities in Europe and Japan (and California) are much more congested than those in middle America on average. Yes, you have placed like Chicago and Atlanta which have terrible congestion, but it's not an issue statewide.

I was in Seattle today in nasty traffic on the 405 , and a group of bikes split past me. I instantly thought of this thread, and got jealous that I couldn't do the same thing in my car.

Last edited by silent1; 09-12-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 11:56 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Cali has been doing it for a long time ..... but I would be scared to try it in Az ..... to many out of towners

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:36 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior

Unequivocally yes. That's the one thing I really miss about CA. Weather, nope, smog nope. Lane spliting hell yes. I have done it here a few times to keep from getting rear ended and they hit the car which was in front of me.

All this would do is lessen traffic jams, keep the air cleaner and be safer for motorcyclists. But I can see why people would be against it.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?