General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 05:36 PM
scoteh
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mike_M
One of the oft quoted studies is here (opens/downloads pdf file) or you can go to lanesplittingislegal.com and browse through all of them.
Thanks. I have always had a problem with "studies show" statements. Of course, studies often find and support the postion of the taker, but hard data of any kind is better than open statements.

Old 09-12-2014 | 05:47 PM
scoteh
Club Member

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Uhh, since you are intent on being ignorant, I mustn't do anything for you. But if your mind ever opens, type "www.google.com" and go from there. You might find that while Arizona had plenty of rear-end collision deaths of all vehicle types, their rate of fatalities for motorcyclists was three times higher than that of California. The ratios of other vehicles was comparable, but the rate of motorcycle deaths was one third in California due to rear-end collision. The only difference is that lane-splitting is legal in California.
Ignorant is making statements with no data to back them up. You are quick to make insinuations. Back up your statements with facts and leave the name calling, etc at the curb. Not once have I made a negative statement about lane splitting, only that it isn't for me. BTW, how many times have you stated the same stuff over and over on this thread? And, said not nice things about all who disagree with your position. Heck, I didn't even disagree with you.

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:21 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
I'm on the fence about lane splitting. Yes, it would be nice but, I think it's dangerous especially, due to some asshat cagers that get pissed off because someone got "in front of them" while they are still sitting in traffic. I can see the headline "huge accident because a car tried to prevent motorcycle from lane splitting".

Just how "huge" can an accident get if the cars arent even moving? I just got back from a a PGR mission (actually 2 back to back). I split at least 5 miles of standing/ crawling traffic through Davis. I was moving an average of 20 mph. When the cars would start moving about 30 mph I would just blend in to a spot and keep the pace until the next back-up. Got home in record time...and it was about 100 degrees.

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Yeah, I honestly don't see it as a real threat. I've NEVER seen it come up on anyone's political agenda and certainly never in a voting booth. I see your point, but given some of the responses here and knowing how much of the American public feels about bikers in general, do you really think that a bill to legalize it would have a snowball's chance in hell of passing?

The consensus of many supporters seems to be: Even though I voluntarily chose to ride on a sweltering hot day, I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit in traffic like the rest of you shlubs and if you don't like it, tough ****. Can you see how there appears to be a sense of entitlement, simply because they ride Harleys? Honestly, it's not so much the lane splitting that I have issue with - it has more to do with the "I'm special, so I'll do what I want and f-you" attitude. It's no wonder that bikers often get a bad rap.

Nothing to do with owning a harley, my 1st lane split was on a 250 Yamaha stinkwheel and then to Brit's then on to harleys Secondly has nothing to do with entitlement , was doing it long before that became the new millennium buzz word. Myself and others I knew who did it while knowing it was illegal just didn't give a ****, we did it because we could , nothing fancy nor any hidden meanings or whatever labels seems people want to hang on it.

The whole bikers and the bad name bit ? News flash actual bikers have had that rep for longer than most been alive in here. That bad rap is why a good majority got a friggin harley in the first place, who you kidding ?

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:41 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by scoteh
Ignorant is making statements with no data to back them up. You are quick to make insinuations. Back up your statements with facts and leave the name calling, etc at the curb. Not once have I made a negative statement about lane splitting, only that it isn't for me. BTW, how many times have you stated the same stuff over and over on this thread? And, said not nice things about all who disagree with your position. Heck, I didn't even disagree with you.
Someone else already posted links. You said something to the effect that no argument in this thread wws going to affect your opinion, as if to disregard anything I might say-your mind was made up. Several people obviously would post opinions without reading the thread, which is why I kept attempting to get through to them. They were acting as if they did not want to know anything but just to spout an opinion from thousands of miles away about something they know very little about and don't CARE to know. I wouldn't call that being fully informed, and it could be taken as being somewhat ignorant of a reality they know nothing about.

Other than that, and the comment about a cop making cops look bad (I didn't call him anything, but implied what he could make other cops look like), what were the terrible things I said about people ?

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:45 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Just how "huge" can an accident get if the cars arent even moving? I just got back from a a PGR mission (actually 2 back to back). I split at least 5 miles of standing/ crawling traffic through Davis. I was moving an average of 20 mph. When the cars would start moving about 30 mph I would just blend in to a spot and keep the pace until the next back-up. Got home in record time...and it was about 100 degrees.

That would be from some ******* cager that moved over to try and prevent a bike from getting thru there and the bike was unable to stop. Also, seen many times when cagers open their door to poor out cold coffee. I have heard of it happening. No, don't have any prof but, I could see it happening. If you want to do it, go ahead, not trying to tell you you shouldn't...I could give a ****!

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Uhh, since you are intent on being ignorant, I mustn't do anything for you. But if your mind ever opens, type "www.google.com" and go from there. You might find that while Arizona had plenty of rear-end collision deaths of all vehicle types, their rate of fatalities for motorcyclists was three times higher than that of California. The ratios of other vehicles was comparable, but the rate of motorcycle deaths was one third in California due to rear-end collision. The only difference is that lane-splitting is legal in California.
Whoa, there, pardner...back that bus up. (My underlining for emphasis.)

If you're into Googling, I would strongly suggest you start with "Correlation does not imply causation".

There is zero probability that the difference in death rates is solely due to lanesplitting, unless every. single. other. thing. that applies to or involves motorcycling is 100% identical in both states. That would include all licensing requirements, training requirements, training available, average age of riders, most common types of motorcycles, average annual miles ridden, mix of urban/rural riding, etc., etc., etc..

You can't point to one parameter and say that's the only difference. It isn't.

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:53 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

What it comes down to is...................leave it legal in CA, legalize it in other states.

If you have the abilities to ride a motorcycle and lane split do it. If you do not, wait in traffic.

But just because a few feel that THEY are not skilled enough riders, does not mean it should not be allowed for the rest of us.

I still cannot get over the immaturity of " well if I cannot do it, you cannot do it" And "what makes you so special" gtfu

Old 09-12-2014 | 07:11 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Whoa, there, pardner...back that bus up. (My underlining for emphasis.)

If you're into Googling, I would strongly suggest you start with "Correlation does not imply causation".

There is zero probability that the difference in death rates is solely due to lanesplitting, unless every. single. other. thing. that applies to or involves motorcycling is 100% identical in both states. That would include all licensing requirements, training requirements, training available, average age of riders, most common types of motorcycles, average annual miles ridden, mix of urban/rural riding, etc., etc., etc..

You can't point to one parameter and say that's the only difference. It isn't.
Whoa there., pardner, back the bus up (sorry if that sounded unkind, or whatever I was accused of earlier )...

Of course, you are generally correct, but I was trying to summarize for people who weren't going to worry about minor insignifancies-for instance, licensing requirements can't be a major factor as to whether someone in a car chooses to run into the back of your motorcycle.I used to analyze data for a living, and I knew that I could type a zillion words to account for every little difference in the data given, but I just thought I'd summarize- my analytical troubleshooting class taught us that differences in performance data generally point to what changed in the data, and if you'dread one of the studies you would have seen where it said that the major difference to account for the three hundred-fold increase in the ratio of deaths for motorcyclists versus automobile deaths between Arizona and California could be attributed to the fact that Arizona doesn't allow lane-splitting. That DIRECTLY correlates to my friend's experience ( I won't go through it again because I'm being accused of repeating myself, so I am compelled by the post policeman to assume that you've already read my post about my buddy's experience and his resultant experience of being crippled after choosing not to lane-split in Arizona and then getting rear-ended). Again, the data referred to AVERAGES and RATIOS, not totals which would compensate for the consideration of miles ridden, etc. etc. to some degree.

Due to the accusations from an above posting monitor, please let me know which of my posts you have and have not read, so I don't repeat myself unnecessarily as it tends to irritate a few people. Then I will know how to procede further. I hope I haven't called you unkind things. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the poster from elsewhere to show me what a meanie I've been. Still waiting...

Last edited by edilgdaor; 09-12-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 07:19 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Whoa there., pardner, back the bus up (sorry if that sounded unkind, or whatever I was accused of earlier )...

Of course, you are generally correct, but I was trying to summarize for people who weren't going to worry about minor insignifancies-for instance, licensing requirements can't be a major factor as to whether someone in a car chooses to run into the back of your motorcycle.I used to analyze data for a living, and I knew that I could type a zillion words to account for every little difference in the data given, but I just thought I'd summarize- my analytical troubleshooting class taught us that differences in performance data generally point to what changed in the data, and if you'dread one of the studies you would have seen where it said that the major difference to account for the three hundred-fold increase in the ratio of deaths for motorcyclists versus automobile deaths between Arizona and California could be attributed to the fact that Arizona doesn't allow lane-splitting. That DIRECTLY correlates to my friend's experience ( I won't go through it again because I'm being accused of repeating myself, so I am compelled by the post policeman to assume that you've already read my post about my buddy's experience and his resultant experience of being crippled after choosing not to lane-split in Arizona and then getting rear-ended). Again, the data referred to AVERAGES and RATIOS, not totals which would compensate for the consideration of miles ridden, etc. etc. to some degree.

Due to the accusations from an above posting monitor, please let me know which of my posts you have and have not read, so I don't repeat myself unnecessarily as it tends to irritate a few people. Then I will know how to procede further. I hope I haven't called you unkind things. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the poster from elsewhere to show me what a meanie I've been. Still waiting...
Ha! No worries, we're good.

I'm a "1%'er", that is, one of those very, very few individuals who actually understands that the written word doesn't always come across as intended, so I do my best to be clear, (ok, maybe a little humorous at the same time...), and I also never take offense unless I'm sure it was intended.

Always good to meet another data junkie!

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?