General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:15 PM
proraptor
Tourer

I love all the out of staters that have never experienced california traffic or lane splitting....

Lane splitting is totally safe, The cagers are used to it and all move over when they see a bike which leaves a nice open space.

The only time a bike can get into trouble is if it hauling *** lane splitting or traffic comes to an ubrupt stop and cars start pulling to the side to avoid accidents.

Motocycles are much more prone to accidents from people pulling out in front of them or turn left from a middle lane in front of a motorcycle. There is a study the CHP did and the ABATE guys have it and it shows lane splitting is pretty damn safe. I think its about 50 pages if I remember correctly.

Go find the article and read it, then you might have enough knowledge to participate in this discussion. Just sayin....

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:19 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by scoteh
Some of y'all keep saying that "studies show" this or that. If you are to use that statement you must provide documentation. Post links to the studies. Otherwise you statement is useless.
This "debate" has zero effect on me, but I find many of the things posted interesting and, more so, entertaining.
Uhh, since you are intent on being ignorant, I mustn't do anything for you. But if your mind ever opens, type "www.google.com" and go from there. You might find that while Arizona had plenty of rear-end collision deaths of all vehicle types, their rate of fatalities for motorcyclists was three times higher than that of California. The ratios of other vehicles was comparable, but the rate of motorcycle deaths was one third in California due to rear-end collision. The only difference is that lane-splitting is legal in California.

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:24 PM
proraptor
Tourer

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
As I recall, the guideline in CA is that you can only legally split if traffic is going less than 25mph, and there is a maximum speed differential allowed between you and the other traffic but I don't remember what that is.
There were suggested guidlines posted awhile ago but they were taken ddown because the pigs though the guidlines were law and enforcing them and trying to write tickets.

There are currently no suggested guidlines

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:26 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by proraptor
There were suggested guidlines posted awhile ago but they were taken ddown because the pigs though the guidlines were law and enforcing them and trying to write tickets.

There are currently no suggested guidlines
That's not why they were taken down.

They were taken down due to a single complaint to the Office of Administrative Law (OAL). OAL has been at odds with several regulatory agencies for what they call "Underground Regulations". Underground regulations are policies that are not incorporated by reference to an actual statute or regulation.

Because there is no regulation that allows lane splitting, the OAL felt that CHP had overstepped it's regulatory authority by posting said guidelines. The guidelines are still in place, just not published.

You can still read those guidelines here.

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Libr...?download=true

Last edited by dribble; 09-12-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 03:32 PM
proraptor
Tourer

Originally Posted by dribble
That's not why they were taken down.
CHP buddy told me someone got a ticket for not following the guidlines and he fought it in court and won so they were taken down

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:35 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

I left CA years ago, but it's my understanding that the guidelines were taken down due to a concern that they might be construed as "support" or "endorsement" for lanesplitting.

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:37 PM
silent1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Have you ever sat in bumper to bumper traffic during the rush hours?
Of course he hasn't. He probably doesn't even have traffic where he lives, other than an occasional stop sign.

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:41 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Is that lane splitting or an illegal pass?
Just driving in your lane, following the car in front of you. Not passing. All the cars inline are driving just feet away from all the cars in the other lane, and those cars are going the opposite direction. Like on every two-lane road, two way, with traffic moving in opposite lanes, just as two way two-lane roads are designed. I don't know why you want to assign extra danger to it, because it is how the roads are designed.

Maybe the description I gave makes it sound scary, but the point is having a speeding truck ( in its lane ) coming towards us within a few feet of us (in our lane ) sounds scarier than it really is.Yet we all get used to it and do it all the time.

Lane-splitting is kinda the same way, but the proximities are closer and the speed differentials are way less with the cars moving in the same direction. But the truck sounds so scary when it's described properly we apparently can't believe we routinely defy death.

Hell, now I'm starting to wonder if I should trust that truck driver, he might be so mad that all of us are going in the opposite direction that he may decide to move over into our lane just to show us we shouldn't be going counter to his direction. Yeah, I'm kidding. But some of the splitter haters seem to think dozens of cars deliberately move over on us just because of resentment.

Last edited by edilgdaor; 09-12-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 03:50 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by proraptor
CHP buddy told me someone got a ticket for not following the guidlines and he fought it in court and won so they were taken down
Imagine that. A CHP Officer full of crap. This is the real reason.

Motorcycle Safety Information Update

Information regarding "lane splitting general guidelines" is no longer available:

A petitioner complained to the Office of Administrative Law that there was no formal rulemaking process for the guidelines, and raised other objections. The CHP discussed the issue with the Office of Administrative Law and chose not to issue, use or enforce guidelines and thus removed them from the website.

Or this:

Lane splitting should not be performed by inexperienced riders," said the DMV's driver handbook, before similarly advising on safe and unsafe lane-splitting techniques.

But sometime earlier this year, the CHP came under fire from a Sacramento-based individual who contended the police agency had exceeded its authority by recommending lane splitting.

The Office of Administrative Law agreed, and told the CHP to take down the guidelines.

Last edited by dribble; 09-12-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 03:55 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
As I recall, the guideline in CA is that you can only legally split if traffic is going less than 25mph, and there is a maximum speed differential allowed between you and the other traffic but I don't remember what that is.
I think the max speed differential in the guidelines is 10mph, and the traffic has to be going less than 30mph. I remember calculating that I shouldn't be lane splitting if I reach 40mph indicated on my over-optomistic Harley Davidson certified speedometer.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?