General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:43 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Probably a long time...Or, never.
I remember thinking that California would never pass a helmet law.

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:47 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I'm curious. Do those of you that split lanes have to contend with Bott's dots between the lanes?
Not bots dots but maybe 1" x 4" reflectors which are now set in a gouge in the pavement. Always fun when the gouge is deeper then normal

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:50 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by cficole
I remember thinking that California would never pass a helmet law.
Pete Wilson :spit:

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:50 PM
racer11
Advanced

Lane splitting in Kansas City would be suicide,,,,I see cars crowd the white line all the time not leaving any room for a bike to pass. And no doubt there would be auto drivers that would pull over just to block your path especially the big diesel pickup trucks with a redneck at the wheel.

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:59 PM
Juggerpops
Tourer

I would love it, especially on days I commute to work on the bike. sitting in traffic sucking exhaust fumes is no fun.

I really don't think it has anything to do with getting there faster like all you backwards folks think, its more about moving the flow of traffic a little faster and safety for the rider, and don't act like you wouldn't do what ever it takes to move to the front in your cage .

I vote yes (AND I AM FROM TEXAS)

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:00 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
#3: You're gonna try to tell me that making the roadway more efficient, safer for us, and better for our engines while having NO downsides to ANYONE...is entitlement on our part? Here's a quick fact...ANYONE can choose to buy a bike and lane-split where it is legal. ANYONE. That means it's completely fair in every way. The fact that you, someone who rides, thinks that people in CA, and the rest of the world, are flying by all the traffic with their middle fingers in the air because they think they're better than everyone else...is maddeningly stupid. And sad. Because if this is how fellow bikers think, how will we ever stand a chance convincing the 90% of people who have never even ridden a bike?
Oh please, spare me. Look at some of the responses here:
Wait your turn like everyone else (while they text and email to oblivion)? Not a chance.
Yes, I live in California, and if the traffic is too slow to keep the engine cool
I've been lane splitting for decades, legal or not. Never had a problem except the occasional moron (like some in this thread) that gets jealous and pulls the old squeeze maneuver on me.
They usually wind up with a fist sized dent in their hood!
Oh you types who can't stand the thought of somebody going around you ? Enjoy the view of my taillight you will be seeing it legal or not
I cannot for the life of me imagine sitting in traffic on a motorcycle.
I lane split almost daily in heavy traffic and will do it whether it's legal or not. There is nothing worse than cooking on your motorcycle on a hot day in traffic with your gear on.
Haters gonna hate. Myself? I'm just trying to get where I'm going. If lane splitting is the most efficient way to get me there, then so be it.
I'll follow a law if makes sense , cooking my nuts off in a midwestern summer sitting grid locked while I'm on one of the most highly mobile means of transportation made never made sense to me so I didn't
You seriously can't see the air of "specialness" or "entitlement" here? Am I completely misinterpreting this?

For the record, the original question asked for opinions. Did everyone expect 100% agreement??

Gotta love people with hypocritical signatures.
Yeah, I don't see the logic in this statement OR how it pertains to this thread.

BTW: great thread! Approaching 200 posts and things have yet to get so out of hand that it gets locked. On a controversial subject like this, that HAS to be some kind of record!

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:02 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by racer11
Lane splitting in Kansas City would be suicide,,,,I see cars crowd the white line all the time not leaving any room for a bike to pass. And no doubt there would be auto drivers that would pull over just to block your path especially the big diesel pickup trucks with a redneck at the wheel.
They need to remember that next time they miss the green light because a couple of bikes were in front of them.

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:09 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Oh please, spare me. Look at some of the responses here:

You seriously can't see the air of "specialness" or "entitlement" here? Am I completely misinterpreting this?
Yes, you are misinterpting this

For the record, the original question asked for opinions. Did everyone expect 100% agreement??

Yeah, I don't see the logic in this statement OR how it pertains to this thread.

BTW: great thread! Approaching 200 posts and things have yet to get so out of hand that it gets locked. On a controversial subject like this, that HAS to be some kind of record!
Have you ever sat in bumper to bumper traffic during the rush hours?

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:09 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Very few people do this and the most I've observed were on metrics.
Most bikes travel in their own lane when traffic is moving at speed.
Most of the lane splitting takes place when traffic is at a crawl or stand still.
Sorry. I was trying to describe a situation on a two-lane country road, one lane in each direction, such as many of us drive in our cars every day. If you think about it, it doesn't sound smart to be so close to an oncoming 80,000 pound truck at a closing rate of over 100mph while we're less than ten feet away and only separated by a painted line or two on the pavement.

But, yet, we all do it and live to tell about it. In cars, not on sport bikes.

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:14 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Sorry. I was trying to describe a situation on a two-lane country road, one lane in each direction, such as many of us drive in our cars every day. If you think about it, it doesn't sound smart to be so close to an oncoming 80,000 pound truck at a closing rate of over 100mph while we're less than ten feet away and only separated by a painted line or two on the pavement.

But, yet, we all do it and live to tell about it. In cars, not on sport bikes.
Is that lane splitting or an illegal pass?

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?