General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:33 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Unless state legislature added strong preemption language to the motor vehicle codes cities and counties can have additional traffic laws. Now mind you its been over 20 years but I got ticketed for it in Diamond Bar, I remember it well because I was ditching HS and had ridden down from Barstow. My step dad was pissed and I took a bad beating when the ticket showed up in the mail and I hadn't told him about it. Under LA County traffic code I was cited for operating a motor vehicle in a lane already occupied by another vehicle, I filtered to the front of a long line of cars on the off ramp right in front of a sheriff.

That was 20 years ago. Lane splitting is legal in Los Angeles County and the Police do it along with the civilians. I can find nothing in the current LA County Traffic Code that prohibits it now, nor am I aware of any jurisdiction that prohibits it.

http://archive.org/stream/gov.ca.lac...ty_05_djvu.txt

Last edited by dribble; 09-12-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 01:35 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Schex3x
I'm for splitting, still do it if I'm stuck in traffic and it's getting hot.

Amazing the amount of titty babies, that get butt hurt because I can get around them on the shoulder or whatever.

Check out this Facebook post from a local cop, that I took a screenshot of the second I saw it.

Looks like a attempted murder confession to me.

Whats more dangerous, Lane splitting, or this dude(dick)?

Yep, doesn't get any more childish than that. "Oh no, somebody got in front of me! Doesn't actually affect me in any way, but it's sooo not fair!!!"

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:06 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by scoteh
Some of y'all keep saying that "studies show" this or that. If you are to use that statement you must provide documentation. Post links to the studies. Otherwise you statement is useless.
This "debate" has zero effect on me, but I find many of the things posted interesting and, more so, entertaining.
One of the oft quoted studies is here (opens/downloads pdf file) or you can go to lanesplittingislegal.com and browse through all of them.

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:23 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

So is California the only state that allows this?

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:25 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Currently yes. Though to be more accurate, they don't disallow it, thereby making it legal. Every other state has some wording that makes it illegal.

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:26 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Yes, at the moment. Probably not going to change either way.

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:35 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm curious. Do those of you that split lanes have to contend with Bott's dots between the lanes?

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:39 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

It should be legal. And as for those arguing that lane splitters are cutting in line, here's an analogy for you. You're saying that splitting lanes would be like to going to Target, and cutting in front of everyone else at the cash register. What's actually happening is everyone else has full shopping carts and you have a handbasket with fewer than 10 items, so you take the express register. This saves you time by not having to wait in line because you didn't have so much to buy, and it saves everyone else time because they're no longer waiting behind you.

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:40 PM
Juggerpops
Tourer

[QUOTE=dan conner;. then it would be more like a toll road--where you pay to drive on less crowded roadways and get to your destination quicker.[/QUOTE]

Less crowded HA ! what toll roads do you drive on????

Old 09-12-2014 | 02:40 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Yes, at the moment. Probably not going to change either way.
I hope it doesn't change, the last thing commuters need is a bunch of bikes in their way.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?