General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:41 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Brother Rat
I don't split lanes often, but when I do, it's a wonderful thing... Give these naysayers a couple days on the 405 and they'll be splittin' too.
Without a doubt. I invite anyone to come to ride in Texas, in traffic, when it's 105F and 80% humidity, your cylinder heads are above 300F, and then tell me that it's a bad idea to be able to ride in the ample space between cars.

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:48 PM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Without a doubt. I invite anyone to come to ride in Texas, in traffic, when it's 105F and 80% humidity, your cylinder heads are above 300F, and then tell me that it's a bad idea to be able to ride in the ample space between cars.
Your darn right, just the damage done to air cooled engines sitting at a stand still in 100+ degree heat is justification for a change in the law.
We nearly got HB2475 passed here in AZ a couple years ago but then the old Battle Ax vetoed it at the last minute.

Last edited by Trim Reaper; 09-12-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 12:48 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

The day they take away lane splitting would be the day I commute with my bike...

...On a trailer!

I'm sure there's plenty of room for me.

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:55 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Yeah, I honestly don't see it as a real threat. I've NEVER seen it come up on anyone's political agenda and certainly never in a voting booth. I see your point, but given some of the responses here and knowing how much of the American public feels about bikers in general, do you really think that a bill to legalize it would have a snowball's chance in hell of passing?

The consensus of many supporters seems to be: Even though I voluntarily chose to ride on a sweltering hot day, I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit in traffic like the rest of you shlubs and if you don't like it, tough ****. Can you see how there appears to be a sense of entitlement, simply because they ride Harleys? Honestly, it's not so much the lane splitting that I have issue with - it has more to do with the "I'm special, so I'll do what I want and f-you" attitude. It's no wonder that bikers often get a bad rap.
#1: This is not a "Harley" thing.
#2: A lot of us ride every day regardless of weather because we are bikers and we can't imagine not riding every day.
#3: You're gonna try to tell me that making the roadway more efficient, safer for us, and better for our engines while having NO downsides to ANYONE...is entitlement on our part? Here's a quick fact...ANYONE can choose to buy a bike and lane-split where it is legal. ANYONE. That means it's completely fair in every way. The fact that you, someone who rides, thinks that people in CA, and the rest of the world, are flying by all the traffic with their middle fingers in the air because they think they're better than everyone else...is maddeningly stupid. And sad. Because if this is how fellow bikers think, how will we ever stand a chance convincing the 90% of people who have never even ridden a bike?

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:01 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
I'm on the fence about lane splitting. Yes, it would be nice but, I think it's dangerous especially, due to some asshat cagers that get pissed off because someone got "in front of them" while they are still sitting in traffic. I can see the headline "huge accident because a car tried to prevent motorcycle from lane splitting".

Yeah, you might have a point...except for all of the evidence to the contrary from all of the years of this not happening in CA.

In fact, in CA, it is specifically illegal for cars to impede or block a motorcycle from filtering. The highway patrol pulls cages over for this all the time. It's a pretty stiff fine if I remember correctly too.

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:16 PM
scoteh
Club Member

Some of y'all keep saying that "studies show" this or that. If you are to use that statement you must provide documentation. Post links to the studies. Otherwise you statement is useless.
This "debate" has zero effect on me, but I find many of the things posted interesting and, more so, entertaining.

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:20 PM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

I'm for splitting, still do it if I'm stuck in traffic and it's getting hot.

Amazing the amount of titty babies, that get butt hurt because I can get around them on the shoulder or whatever.

Check out this Facebook post from a local cop, that I took a screenshot of the second I saw it.

Looks like a attempted murder confession to me.

Whats more dangerous, Lane splitting, or this dude(dick)?

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:24 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Only for stopped traffic should it be legal and at less than 25 MPH

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:26 PM
jeffbcn
Road Master

Moved to Las Vegas a little over a year ago from SoCal. What I miss most is lane splitting. Oh and the weather. ....

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:32 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Only for stopped traffic should it be legal and at less than 25 MPH
As I recall, the guideline in CA is that you can only legally split if traffic is going less than 25mph, and there is a maximum speed differential allowed between you and the other traffic but I don't remember what that is.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?