General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:15 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
It`s just difficult to envision anything like this working out where I live.
Until you try it, it doesn't really seem as if it would work, I'll agree. It would seem dangerous to drive 55mph with a speeding truck approaching you head on only a few feet away, but milions of people manage that just fine, even though it was probably scary when we first started driving. Once you get in the split on a bike, it's just about riding a motorcycle in a straight line, and the cars alongside are going relatively the same speed instead of closing at a combined rate of over 100mph as in the oncoming truck scenario.

One thing that may add to someeople's trepidation is the roads.I've ridden a few thousand miles in Oklahoma, and nearly all the roads in the countryside don't have shoulders. Why is that ? That probably heightens the sensation of how close the cars are alongside of you. And where do the cars that die on the road stop ? In thetraffic lanes, and not onthe side of the road ?

Now THAT seems really scary to me. How do you survive the danger ?

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:15 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Well, the reality is that you ARE part of the traffic. It's not like someone held a gun to your head and made you ride the bike today. It was a deliberate and voluntary action on your part so, why the sense of entitlement? Why does the fact that you're riding a Harley make you more "special" than anyone else out there? I don't get it.
So you'd like to do away with lane splitting altogether because YOU think it's dangerous and gives motorcyclists a bad name. YOU seem to think (based on all your responses stating "riding a Harley make you more 'special' than anyone else") that only HD riders split lanes.

You do realize that it IS LEGAL in CA; that studies have proven that it is safer for a motorcyclist (on any type of bike) to lane split than to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic; that while a motorcyclist chooses to ride in the heat, you also CHOOSE to drive your car with air conditioning. You could have just as easily taken the bus--why didn't you? Did YOU feel more "special" than everyone else? Do you even carpool, or are you in your car by yourself? If you're by yourself, or just your family, do you feel more "special" than everyone else?

Some states don't have helmet laws, do you think they should?

How about we solve the problem completely, throw the baby out with the bathwater, and just ban motorcycles entirely?

Gotta love people with hypocritical signatures.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Last edited by Mike_M; 09-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 12:16 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
It`s just difficult to envision anything like this working out where I live.
I agree, until you try it, it doesn't really seem as if it would work.. It would seem dangerous to drive 55mph with a speeding truck approaching you head on only a few feet away, but milions of people manage that just fine, even though it was probably scary when we first started driving. Once you get in the split on a bike, it's just about riding a motorcycle in a straight line, and the cars alongside are going relatively the same speed instead of closing at a combined rate of over 100mph as in the oncoming truck scenario.

One thing that may add to some people's trepidation is the roads.I've ridden a few thousand miles in Oklahoma, and nearly all the roads in the countryside don't have shoulders. Why is that ? That probably heightens the sensation of how close the cars are alongside of you. And where do the cars that die on the road stop ? In thetraffic lanes, and not onthe side of the road ?

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:18 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
I hate it when a few cops make the whole profession look like ********, as is your right.

As someone who has been to funerals for fallen officers, thank you for your service. Have a nice day.

Bad apple in every bunch. Tell me that didn't come across as a power trip.

Edit: not your reply, but the officer who would have pulled someone over and kept writing tickets if they said anything

Last edited by m6zero; 09-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 12:26 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

What the HELL are you talking about?? This thread isn't going to change a thing so, take it down a notch, Spanky.

Even though I shouldn't be, I'm always amazed at some of the bad-***, chest pounding responses on these types of threads. If ANYONE disagrees, they're automatically unAmerican pussies with no ***** who have no business riding a bike. Grow the f*ck up. It's just a damn thread on a forum where people voice opinions. It doesn't affect anyone's life in the slightest. Christ, get a freaking grip...

You're posts seem to be the most worked up out of everyone. I can almost hear your whining through the monitor.

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:30 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
I agree, until you try it, it doesn't really seem as if it would work.. It would seem dangerous to drive 55mph with a speeding truck approaching you head on only a few feet away, but milions of people manage that just fine, even though it was probably scary when we first started driving. Once you get in the split on a bike, it's just about riding a motorcycle in a straight line, and the cars alongside are going relatively the same speed instead of closing at a combined rate of over 100mph as in the oncoming truck scenario.

One thing that may add to some people's trepidation is the roads.I've ridden a few thousand miles in Oklahoma, and nearly all the roads in the countryside don't have shoulders. Why is that ? That probably heightens the sensation of how close the cars are alongside of you. And where do the cars that die on the road stop ? In thetraffic lanes, and not onthe side of the road ?

Very few people do this and the most I've observed were on metrics.
Most bikes travel in their own lane when traffic is moving at speed.
Most of the lane splitting takes place when traffic is at a crawl or stand still.

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:31 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master

I'm on the fence about lane splitting. Yes, it would be nice but, I think it's dangerous especially, due to some asshat cagers that get pissed off because someone got "in front of them" while they are still sitting in traffic. I can see the headline "huge accident because a car tried to prevent motorcycle from lane splitting".

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:31 PM
m6zero
Cruiser

Yeah, I honestly don't see it as a real threat. I've NEVER seen it come up on anyone's political agenda and certainly never in a voting booth. I see your point, but given some of the responses here and knowing how much of the American public feels about bikers in general, do you really think that a bill to legalize it would have a snowball's chance in hell of passing?

The consensus of many supporters seems to be: Even though I voluntarily chose to ride on a sweltering hot day, I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit in traffic like the rest of you shlubs and if you don't like it, tough ****. Can you see how there appears to be a sense of entitlement, simply because they ride Harleys? Honestly, it's not so much the lane splitting that I have issue with - it has more to do with the "I'm special, so I'll do what I want and f-you" attitude. It's no wonder that bikers often get a bad rap.

You have a very narrow perception of everything said in this thread so far. I suggest you go back and read it again.

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:36 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
I'm on the fence about lane splitting. Yes, it would be nice but, I think it's dangerous especially, due to some asshat cagers that get pissed off because someone got "in front of them" while they are still sitting in traffic. I can see the headline "huge accident because a car tried to prevent motorcycle from lane splitting".
Go back a few pages and look at the pics that were posted and then ask yourself what would you do?

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:39 PM
danl
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mike_M
So you'd like to do away with lane splitting altogether because YOU think it's dangerous and gives motorcyclists a bad name. YOU seem to think (based on all your responses stating "riding a Harley make you more 'special' than anyone else") that only HD riders split lanes.

You do realize that it IS LEGAL in CA; that studies have proven that it is safer for a motorcyclist (on any type of bike) to lane split than to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic; that while a motorcyclist chooses to ride in the heat, you also CHOOSE to drive your car with air conditioning. You could have just as easily taken the bus--why didn't you? Did YOU feel more "special" than everyone else? Do you even carpool, or are you in your car by yourself? If you're by yourself, or just your family, do you feel more "special" than everyone else?

Some states don't have helmet laws, do you think they should?

How about we solve the problem completely, throw the baby out with the bathwater, and just ban motorcycles entirely?

Gotta love people with hypocritical signatures.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?