General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:05 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by dan conner
absolutely not, wait your turn in line like everyone else. you have done nothing to deserve special privileges. now if the state wanted to charge $1,000 a year to split lanes, and you went thru a special class and had a decal on your bike to show that you were paying for the privilege...that should be fine with the majority of the motoring public. then it would be more like a toll road--where you pay to drive on less crowded roadways and get to your destination quicker.
LOL! So you want to be part of the traffic huh?

lets just add some bikes to it!!

I would like to add that when someone "scrapes" the side of your cage they are suppose to stop, lane splitting and hit and runs are two different things.

Last edited by JustDave13; 09-12-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 11:23 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDave13
LOL! So you want to be part of the traffic huh?
Well, the reality is that you ARE part of the traffic. It's not like someone held a gun to your head and made you ride the bike today. It was a deliberate and voluntary action on your part so, why the sense of entitlement? Why does the fact that you're riding a Harley make you more "special" than anyone else out there? I don't get it.

I would like to add that when someone "scrapes" the side of your cage they are suppose to stop, lane splitting and hit and runs are two different things.
Not always true.
http://www.navbug.com/article1011860...nt_on_i_15.htm

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 09-12-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 11:24 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
If you truly believe in your sig. statement (assume they`re all out to kill you), why would you want another way for that to happen easier?
When I lane split, the cars are bumper to bumper and I am moving at my own pace, typically about 20-25 mph. The cars are standing still or barely moving.
I guess it could get dangerous when I glance too long at all the mini-skirts that are pulled up as I pass....I guess thats another California thing too.

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:28 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Because when you're stopped in the middle of a lane on a bike, a moving car can easily hit you as it approaches you from behind, if their intent is to kill you ( as the sig you pulled from several pages ago infers ). When you are moving slowly alongside a car that is stuck in traffic and cannot move, that car can not slide sideways to hit you if it wants to.

When you get rear-end, the force is direct. Transferred instantly to your motorcycle. If you are stopped and hit by a car going only 5mph, your bike will accelerate from 0 to 4.9mph in 0.1 seconds, making it very unlikely you will remain on the bike (such as when my friend was crippled).

If you should get hit while lane-splitting, the force will be indirect without the instant change in trajectory. You are very likely to remain on the bike and still have control.

Again, you are three times more likely to be killed in a rear-end collision in a non-lane splitting state. Since you apparently just scan threads for signature quotes, I can understand why you don't get that. Being informed makes for a more intelligent discussion. Most of the nay-sayers are literally thousands of miles from what we're talking about.
Okay, I`ll try to open my mind to this way of thinking, since I`m from a vastly different locale and societal attitude. I get what you say about the probabilities of getting rear ended while stopped in traffic, having a near miss recently at a stop light myself. It`s just difficult to envision anything like this working out where I live.

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:34 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Well, the reality is that you ARE part of the traffic....*I don't get iit.
But he'snot taking up the space that a car would. He's freeing up a space, and thus creating less of an effect on trafgic than he would in a car. On a bike, he's using space that nobody else can.

But I will agree with you. You don't get it. It's not a sense of entitlement.

Entitlement is believing you are special because you can take up the whole lane while you fume in the comfort of a gas hog that's going nowhere with the engine running burning gas and spewing emissions just to provide you with the power to run an air conditioner for your own personal comfort. How selfish is THAT ?

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:36 AM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Yeah, I honestly don't see it as a real threat. I've NEVER seen it come up on anyone's political agenda and certainly never in a voting booth. I see your point, but given some of the responses here and knowing how much of the American public feels about bikers in general, do you really think that a bill to legalize it would have a snowball's chance in hell of passing?

The consensus of many supporters seems to be: Even though I voluntarily chose to ride on a sweltering hot day, I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit in traffic like the rest of you shlubs and if you don't like it, tough ****. Can you see how there appears to be a sense of entitlement, simply because they ride Harleys? Honestly, it's not so much the lane splitting that I have issue with - it has more to do with the "I'm special, so I'll do what I want and f-you" attitude. It's no wonder that bikers often get a bad rap.
I'm sorry ABSG, but lane-splitting IS NOT about a sense of entitlement. I do feel privileged that I am allowed to lane-split and I am able to bi-pass miles of bumper to bumper traffic, but IT IS because the law allows me to do so. If anyone ever verbally says anything to me, I just tell them to buy a bike. My reputation as a "biker" shouldn't be because other folks do not know the laws of the road.
But i do agree that it will be incredibly hard to pass a bill for this due to the non-riding community and THEIR attitudes and ego's thinking that, "if I can't do that then they can't either!" I think we could all agree that we need to grow up as a society in general. PEACE!

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:37 AM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain

Lane splitting for motorcycles is an efficient use of the roadway. Is there now a problem with efficiency? Odds are you clowns against it don't live in congested areas.
Someone here has a signature saying something like "These days are the pussification of the American biker".
Truer words can not be said.

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:39 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Well, the reality is that you ARE part of the traffic. It's not like someone held a gun to your head and made you ride the bike today. It was a deliberate and voluntary action on your part so, why the sense of entitlement? Why does the fact that you're riding a Harley make you more "special" than anyone else out there? I don't get it.
Nobody is claiming being "special". Do you know how many people commute on bikes in South CA?
A lot.
If you think the traffic is bad now could you imagine what it would look like if each bike took up the space of one car?
BTW bikes also have exclusive use of the car pool lanes as well.

It's beneficial to ride a 30-50 mpg bike in "environmentally conscience" Kalifornia and if they were to ever take lane splitting away I for one would hop in my 6.6ltr diesel truck and blast the AC if I had to commute.
Nobody is going to sit in 90 degree heat without AC, no lane splitting then everyone will just hop in their gas guzzling trucks for the commute.

Watch this video.

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:41 AM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member

I don't split lanes often, but when I do, it's a wonderful thing... Give these naysayers a couple days on the 405 and they'll be splittin' too.

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:49 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brother Rat
I don't split lanes often, but when I do, it's a wonderful thing... Give these naysayers a couple days on the 405 and they'll be splittin' too.
Exactly.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?