General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:50 AM
silent1
Road Warrior

I'm actually very surprised that most riders here don't like lane splitting. I'm curious about the age breakdown of those who are against it (I'm guessing the older guys in rural areas are the main ones against it). The ability to park almost anywhere along with lane splitting are some of the biggest benefits you get from riding in an urban area.

That said, I don't filter at red lights (although I probably should). I'm not sure if people on the east coast are ready for that yet.

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:59 AM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
I think you need to calm down, and use your brain more. It seems reasonable that the opinions being expressed here in this "damn thread on an internet forum" represent the opinions of real people in the real world. Real people in the real world vote. The thought that some fellow riders would choose to shoot this down if it were to come up to a vote is what is so bewildering and angering, especially considering that almost no one here has any experience with it. Ignorant assumptions lead to bad opinions that have very real consequences for the rest of us. It's completely reasonable to be angry about it. And that's not internet "chest pounding."
Well done, Red Dragon! An extremely valid point!

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:05 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Biscuit
No. and take it away from California also.
Ever ride here for a significant amount of time?

I suggest you do that before making blanket statements.

Lane splitting is most definitely safer than sitting in backed up traffic, and should be allowed.

The problem is many riders abuse the right and split with too much speed, or in situations where it is not needed.

Perhaps some of you simply don't have the skill set to do it, so don't understand it.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:08 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Multi lane ramp with traffic backed up onto the freeway... I do know the difference. And maybe you should read the very first post where I said I am fine with lane splitting.
Sorry. You said A long line of cars, which I didn't take to mean multiple lanes.

Maybe you should show me where I said you weren't fine with lane-splitting, then I'll search out your post. I was just trying to explain why you may have gotten the ticket. The scenario you mentioned is different than what I read, and I'll take your word for it.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:13 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Yes lane SHARING should be legal everywhere. If the only issue is some people getting all irate because they think someone cut in front of them, haven't we gotten past such immature thinking?
Human nature will never allow that to happen for many people. That`s one of the reasons for road rage.

Originally Posted by TheWarrior
It is legal here in CA. It should be legal everywhere. I don't know the exact law. I feel in order for it to be legal everywhere guidelines should be put in place as far as mph, speed of surrounding traffic, weather conditions, and signal indicator. Put on some loud pipes on your bike and car will move
As I already said, human nature won`t allow it. All it does is foster the mindset of many to become pissed off about it. Not legal in my state. The advantages of lane splitting are far outweighed by many other factors involving safety, stemming principably from driver attitudes and inattention issues. We don`t have any better control of those (texting, anger, etc.), nor does it seem as though any laws involving these issues will be enforced. So, how would it make it "better for all"?

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Anybody that is against it has NO friggen clue how it works and you look like an *** trying to explain why. "Pay extra to lane split".
If you truly believe in your sig. statement (assume they`re all out to kill you), why would you want another way for that to happen easier?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-22-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 10:19 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
I think you need to calm down, and use your brain more. It seems reasonable that the opinions being expressed here in this "damn thread on an internet forum" represent the opinions of real people in the real world. Real people in the real world vote. The thought that some fellow riders would choose to shoot this down if it were to come up to a vote is what is so bewildering and angering, especially considering that almost no one here has any experience with it. Ignorant assumptions lead to bad opinions that have very real consequences for the rest of us. It's completely reasonable to be angry about it. And that's not internet "chest pounding."
Yeah, I honestly don't see it as a real threat. I've NEVER seen it come up on anyone's political agenda and certainly never in a voting booth. I see your point, but given some of the responses here and knowing how much of the American public feels about bikers in general, do you really think that a bill to legalize it would have a snowball's chance in hell of passing?

The consensus of many supporters seems to be: Even though I voluntarily chose to ride on a sweltering hot day, I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit in traffic like the rest of you shlubs and if you don't like it, tough ****. Can you see how there appears to be a sense of entitlement, simply because they ride Harleys? Honestly, it's not so much the lane splitting that I have issue with - it has more to do with the "I'm special, so I'll do what I want and f-you" attitude. It's no wonder that bikers often get a bad rap.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 09-12-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 10:34 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

In my state, sharing a lane with another vehicle is not permitted.

Yet we ride side by side often... without citations.

It would be great to have lane splitting permitted on I-35 through Austin and certain areas of DFW/Houston.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:52 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Lane splitting is not illegal in the state of California, but many municipalities do have ordinances against it, and you can be ticketed and fined, if pulled over by an officer of that jurisdiction.

Odd, I lane split in Ca for 25yrs and never got pulled over for it.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:54 AM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
If you truly believe in your sig. statement (assume they`re all out to kill you), why would you want another way for that to happen easier?
Because when you're stopped in the middle of a lane on a bike, a moving car can easily hit you as it approaches you from behind, if their intent is to kill you ( as the sig you pulled from several pages ago infers ). When you are moving slowly alongside a car that is stuck in traffic and cannot move, that car can not slide sideways to hit you if it wants to.

When you get rear-end, the force is direct. Transferred instantly to your motorcycle. If you are stopped and hit by a car going only 5mph, your bike will accelerate from 0 to 4.9mph in 0.1 seconds, making it very unlikely you will remain on the bike (such as when my friend was crippled).

If you should get hit while lane-splitting, the force will be indirect without the instant change in trajectory. You are very likely to remain on the bike and still have control.

Again, you are three times more likely to be killed in a rear-end collision in a non-lane splitting state. Since you apparently just scan threads for signature quotes, I can understand why you don't get that. Being informed makes for a more intelligent discussion. Most of the nay-sayers are literally thousands of miles from what we're talking about.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:55 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member

Lane sharing is legal in Arizona, lane splitting is not. Two bikes can ride side by side anywhere in the state, but a bike can not share a lane with a car.

Riding a motorcycle is legal, but many people think it is inherently dangerous and don't want to do it. I'd like to see lane splitting legal everywhere, then let the riders decide if they want to do it. Part of the problem California riders have mentioned is out of state drivers that don't know it's legal there. If it was legal in all states splitting would be safer, once the drivers got used to it.

As I mentioned earlier, I sometimes ride in California and lane split to get through gridlocked traffic. I don't do it often enough to be as proficient at it as many of the California riders and often pull into a vacant spot in a lane to let them pass me. That doesn't make me any less of a rider, they are just better at it than I am.

Last edited by joe.1955; 09-12-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?