General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:02 AM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I really have no desire to insert myself between 2 cars in such close proximity when both of them are most likely texting while driving. If you guys want to do it be my guest but it's not for me.
I don't know if you have motorcycle police officers in your state that ride in heavy traffic. To me it seems odd that the police don't use the center line for traffic control.

Old 09-12-2014 | 05:39 AM
Mike_M
Road Master

I've read through all the posts here yet again, and I think I may see the problem people have with lane splitting. Nearly everyone who expressed an opinion against lane splitting mentions riders "zipping past" traffic.

This is NOT lane splitting, it is reckless driving:

This is lane splitting:

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:21 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
A SINGLE long line of cars ?

That's not lane-splitting. That's illegal.

Lane-splitting is riding on the roadway ( not on the shoulder or over the lines marking the shoulders ) BETWEEN TWO LANES of traffic. If it was a single line of cars, it wasn't lane-splitting.
Multi lane ramp with traffic backed up onto the freeway... I do know the difference. And maybe you should read the very first post where I said I am fine with lane splitting.

Nothing worse than I-15/I-40 junction traffic on a 3 day holiday when it's 100+ degrees outside. There were people in Barstow who's entertainment was setting lawn chairs up on the overpasses and watching traffic crawl.

Last edited by bettingpython; 09-12-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 08:51 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
It seems there's never a shortage of idiots who will vote against something that they know nothing about. YOU don't wanna lane split? Then don't. But don't screw the rest of us over because of your ignorance or selfishness.
What the HELL are you talking about?? This thread isn't going to change a thing so, take it down a notch, Spanky.

Even though I shouldn't be, I'm always amazed at some of the bad-***, chest pounding responses on these types of threads. If ANYONE disagrees, they're automatically unAmerican pussies with no ***** who have no business riding a bike. Grow the f*ck up. It's just a damn thread on a forum where people voice opinions. It doesn't affect anyone's life in the slightest. Christ, get a freaking grip...

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:53 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Chances are I have already while you where in passed through that state many many times, never had the patience to sit in traffic since day one. Been doing it all my riding career both here stateside and abroad. I'll follow a law if makes sense , cooking my nuts off in a midwestern summer sitting grid locked while I'm on one of the most highly mobile means of transportation made never made sense to me so I didn't and I never got tagged for it. Secondly I don't say **** to a cop once stopped except the bare minimum to cover it , getting chatty is for amateurs. Know your type well , can see you coming farther off than you might suspect.

Trick is don't be stupid or a dick about it, being able to read the traffic around you & which gomer is gonna try to be a hero watching wing mirrors will tell a smart man volumes and know were you bubble gum guys are before acting up, been there done that.
ahh he was probably in the donut shop getting some freebies when you passed through. Cops like this tarnish the reputation of others

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:55 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Coyle

Here on the Forum, members talk a lot about legal issues, from loud pipes, to licensing, to helmet laws. But one of the things I don't see a lot of conversation about? Splitting lanes. And the reason for that is the only state in the union where it's legal to drive a motorcycle between cars is the great state of California. Everywhere else, it'll result in a reckless riding ticket—or worse.
Why would I even want to do that? I guess traffic is different there. You may as well ask me if I want to make it legal to surf naked - I don't care.

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:06 AM
chipw
Advanced

Now this is lane sharing
California doesn't even come close

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:21 AM
scoteh
Club Member

I'm just glad that I live in Podunkland, am retired, don't ever have to be anywhere in a hurry, and rarely see traffic messes. With the traffic problems many of you in California have, I can see why you want to lane split. I'll just keep moving along waving at the cows!

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:27 AM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain

Yes, lane splitting should be legal everywhere. Most importantly when traffic is stopped, particularly stop lights.

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:40 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
What the HELL are you talking about?? This thread isn't going to change a thing so, take it down a notch, Spanky.

Even though I shouldn't be, I'm always amazed at some of the bad-***, chest pounding responses on these types of threads. If ANYONE disagrees, they're automatically unAmerican pussies with no ***** who have no business riding a bike. Grow the f*ck up. It's just a damn thread on a forum where people voice opinions. It doesn't affect anyone's life in the slightest. Christ, get a freaking grip...
I think you need to calm down, and use your brain more. It seems reasonable that the opinions being expressed here in this "damn thread on an internet forum" represent the opinions of real people in the real world. Real people in the real world vote. The thought that some fellow riders would choose to shoot this down if it were to come up to a vote is what is so bewildering and angering, especially considering that almost no one here has any experience with it. Ignorant assumptions lead to bad opinions that have very real consequences for the rest of us. It's completely reasonable to be angry about it. And that's not internet "chest pounding."

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?