General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:04 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Absolutely not. Try it in Chicago and see how long you last.
Buy my plane ticket and rent me a motorcycle with dual front disc brakes, and I'll try it as long as the law allows.

Oh, wait, I was talking about doing it where it's legal. Chicago doesn't apply. Get the law changed and I'll wait for the plane ticket. I ain't skeered. Lane-splitting is not a high speed activity and motorcycles can be stopped as fast as a stationary car can move sideways.

Of course, you know that, with your vast riding experience, right ?

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:08 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rick's Ultra
I was in Japan not too long ago. Not only is lane sharing legal there, but so is riding on the shoulders. Another aspect I found interesting in Japan, if there is an accident with a motorcycle sharing, it is the fault of the Car/truck driver.

If you want to really enjoy sharing lanes, you really have to do it behind a CHP motorcycle cop. Cars make room and part like the Red Sea when the drivers realize it is a CHP motorcycle.

As other posters stated above, most cars slide over a little bit to provide the extra room to allow motorcycles to pass. Usually(there are a few self appointed traffic enforcers)the only folks I have problems with have out of state plates on their vehicles. Lot of out of state drivers in the military stationed out here that don't know the traffic rules.

I was in Pennsylvania recently, and when a bike went by and the rider did not have a helmet on, my first thought was holy crap, that guy forgot to put on a helmet! Then I realized they don't have helmet laws there. I did not get freaking jumping up and down mad. Didn't tell anyone how unbelievably unsafe that was. I did not start a movement to change the helmet laws there. And I did not go on the internet and rant and rave about how unsafe it is to ride without helmet. (I have been riding with a helmet for so many years, even if the law changed I would probably continue to wear it.) To me it is like wearing a hard hat, hearing protection, or steel toes at work.

Don't hate on California because you live with and have to share the road with a bunch of ignorant, self-righteous, self adsorbed hillbillies.
Great example, Rick!

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:16 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by Tanuki
It should be legal but not compulsory, so those who wan to can and those who do not want to don't have to.

If it was legal and motorists were educated about it then no drama.

Lane splitting works if done properly.
I wonder how long it's going to take for someone who's never been out of the Midwest to come on here and tell you what it's like to ride in Japan, or how much they hate Japan so you can't be right.

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:34 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

Thread title asks the question:
"Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?"

I think a more appropriate question might be:
"How long until this is outlawed in California?"

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:37 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fishrrman

Probably a long time...Or, never.

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:38 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Write your Congressman.

Oh, wait, it's none of his business. He lives in Connecticut. Why should he care ?

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:42 PM
backplay
Road Master

Did anyone bother to read the link provided by bettingpython about the legality of lane splitting in California? This quote from the link. "California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing," or "filtering."

It would appear by interpretation, that as usual, California doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It couldn't be more clear..

I don't care what they do in CA. Here in PA we fought for years to repeal the helmet law because we look at as a choice. We don't beat on CA for lang splitting, don't beat on us if we decide to not wear a helmet. Yeah, we know the danger, how 'bout the danger of lane splitting?

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:51 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by backplay
It would appear by interpretation, that as usual, California doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It couldn't be more clear..

Really?

They simply do not consider it an issue worth legislating....I don't interpret it as them not knowing what they're doing.
The state is run by idiots and sticks its nose into a lot of stuff that isn't the states business, but thankfully this is one area that they have repeatedly decided to not stick their noses into.

Left up to some of the imbeciles on this forum, it would be legislated into oblivion.

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:54 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master

I was not beating on PA riders for not wearing helmets. Your ride, your state, your head, your choice.

But, you are clearly shooting off about CA. We have been lane sharing out here for quite a long time. If you were ever to come out and learn our ways you would not look at a motorcycle in the same way. I cannot for the life of me imagine sitting in traffic on a motorcycle. If I wanted to sit in traffic I could be in the car with the A/C, tunes and a cup holder.

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:58 PM
Corn Born
Advanced

For the people that are not from CA. and would like to make the laws for us with out paying our taxes....WATCH YOUR OWN BOBBER!!!!!

Quick Reply: Splitting Lanes: Should it be Legal Everywhere?