General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crystal Ball to 2008 HD models

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:53 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Crystal Ball to 2008 HD models

HD will probably introduce at least one or two models with water cooling based on the Vrod engine. I can see at least a touring model coming out with it as a good move for Harley. It would take some sting out of the Gold Wing and BMW in the long-range touring market. The handwriting is on the wall: water cooled engines make it easier to meet noise and epa requirements and are cooler-running, wear better and are more efficient than air-cooled motors because they operate at consistent temps. The key is to keep the classic Harley look and the exhaust note if possible. The Vrod just isn't going to become as popular as the regular line of Harleys but bolt that engine into a tourer and you've got something a lot of people would take a serious look at.

But the air-cooled engine will still be the model of choice for a while. So I wouldn't expect the company to do anything radical there. The 96 looks like a keeper at least for the next five or six years.

I'd expect a model or two aimed at ladies as well.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:25 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: airjoe

I'm up for a water cooled bagger. The EPA will force it sooner or later, so why not make it sooner.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Crusing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will keep my wish list simple for the 08’s, ABS brakes and an accurate fuel gauge.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:14 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RBJones

HD will probably introduce at least one or two models with water cooling based on the Vrod engine. I can see at least a touring model coming out with it as a good move for Harley. It would take some sting out of the Gold Wing and BMW in the long-range touring market. The handwriting is on the wall: water cooled engines make it easier to meet noise and epa requirements and are cooler-running, wear better and are more efficient than air-cooled motors because they operate at consistent temps. The key is to keep the classic Harley look and the exhaust note if possible. The Vrod just isn't going to become as popular as the regular line of Harleys but bolt that engine into a tourer and you've got something a lot of people would take a serious look at.

But the air-cooled engine will still be the model of choice for a while. So I wouldn't expect the company to do anything radical there. The 96 looks like a keeper at least for the next five or six years.

I'd expect a model or two aimed at ladies as well.
I hope you are correct,

A V-Rod based bagger would be a great addition to the Harley lineup. This bike, I believe, would not take away from the traditional bagger market, but as you stated, give competition to BMW and Honda.

I seriously believe that most V-Rod detractors have not ridden the bike. I cannot possibly believe that if you are a true "BIKER", you would not love the V-Rod. A "SNOB", might not like it, but someone that loves bikes and riding, has to be amazed at the power and ease of handling of these machines.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

I still think a Wide Glide witha springer front end would be the cat's azz...lot's of springs or not....ride safe

Old 05-13-2007, 08:28 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

i heard that they are going to put a dummy handthat extends fromthe leftbar endso that everyone will now get waved at. hahaha.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:49 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I like the Vrod but lets face it...it's not that fast and doesn't handle that good. It doesn't do anything great. It is too high reving for a touring bike. Harley riders like to lope and they don't like downshifting. The Vrod is a cool bike but the motor is very limited IMHO. It does not come close to comparing with a Goldwing in the torque dept. The Revo motor has like 60 somthing tq.

If they want a water cooled bagger they are going to have to bump the cubes, keep the traditional long stroke, 45 degree format, keep the traditional sound and looks, and put the radiator into the lowers. To try and drop the high revving Revolution motor into a classic bagger will be a big failure...just like nearly every other attemp Harley has had doing water cooling.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Imjonesy
Advanced

There will be a liquid cooled Sportster, a factory Chopper and factory Trike. That is all.

Imjonesy

Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 PM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts

ORIGINAL: Imjonesy

There will be a liquid cooled Sportster, a factory Chopper and factory Trike. That is all.

Imjonesy
The "liquid cooled" sportster that was much rumoured months ago (including by a motorcycle magazine) turned out to be the XR-1200 Prototype for the European market.

now, doing a little thinking (and speculation)...the release of such bike (XR-1200) in US market could be a reason for dropping the 883R.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:30 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now, doing a little thinking (and speculation)...the release of such bike (XR-1200) in US market could be a reason for dropping the 883R.
And should it come to the US, it'll be my next Harley.

Quick Reply: Crystal Ball to 2008 HD models