General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:43 PM
de fender
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster

I just finished the 5000 mile service on my 2005 FLSTCI,(a lot cheaper than the mandatory stealership 1K@ $350). While I had her on the stand I opened the primary and installed a HD Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster. All is well, I think. I now hear what sounds like the primary chain is to tight. I have taken the primary cover back off and re-inspected my installation. It’s installed right and properly adjusted. Has anyone else preformed this upgrade?

Old 09-09-2005, 07:29 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: HD Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster

Can't give you much input on the HD unit, but the hayden and the HB125 both make a wining sound when they are in proper adjustment also.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the M6 and it makes a whirring sound... it's expected. I'm sure the HD will make some noise too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the M6 also and it quieted down after 1K miles on it - My bet is that you are just fine

Old 09-09-2005, 10:57 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got the Hayden, and it's noisey too.

Mac

Old 09-10-2005, 02:15 AM
de fender
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick response.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 AM
MikeGV
Intermediate

I just installed a Hayden M6 on my FatBoy and it makes a whirring sound, which seems to be fairly common looking at this thread. I found the thread while searching to see if it happened to anyone else. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this sound. I don't hear it when the bike is moving, only at stop and pretty much just if I "blip" it.

I wondered before I installed it whether I'd hear it, being that its putting constant tension against a (nylon?) shoe. I saw an FAQ on the Hayden website that says it happens (has been reported to them) and usually goes away after some miles are on it.

Everything seems to work great, running smooth and nice with this M-6 ... hopefully the noise will go away after I get some miles on it. Its not something that is that big of an issue, but I don't like the way it sounds. I'm sure that I'll have more than one person ask if I put in gear-driven cams! hehe.

I never had trouble finding N before or after the M6 but I can tell a difference shifting up and down. It really does just click into gears now.
I run 10w40 Mobile 5000 clean in my primary (dino oil). Does anyone here think there may be a correlation between what fluid is in the primary and the whirring noise vs. no whirring noise? It seems like some people have it and some don't. Being that the chains are adjusted to similar tension by the shim on everyone's installation I am wondering why some people don't hear it?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:53 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got 8K miles on my tensioner now...it's a little quieter than it was, and the tension is still good. I'll have to check the website, but you have to periodically replace the shoe. It was either 20K or 40K, I'll have to check it out.

Mac

Old 04-10-2006, 05:46 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a great post. i un-installed my M6 because of the noise. Now thanks to this input I can put it back in. Wanna bet I beat the book time on this install?

Old 04-12-2006, 05:23 AM
MikeGV
Intermediate

Let us know how long it takes you to reinstall that M6. I think I could reinstall mine in an hour, now that the shims are cut and I know what I'm doing.

The M6 whirring noise is dying down.. its about 1/2 of where it started. I can barely heard it at idle. I can still hear it off idle, but not when cruising.

I had to make a few trips to the store for more tools when installing the M6.

Would've saved time if I'd known:
* The screws holding the factory tensioner to the inner primary are #4 phillips (I didn't have any phillips this big)
* The #4 screws take 15-20lbs torque and red loctite (I didn't have any)

Quick Reply: HD Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster